News   Apr 16, 2024
 396     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 402     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 755     0 

Roads: Traffic Signals

And a really silly rule is now being taught to new drivers. You are not allowed to turn left or right until ALL the pedestrians are out of the intersection. Say for example you are trying to turn right onto University at King. You have to wait until all pedestrians are out of all 6 lanes of traffic (3 lanes each way) before you can turn right.

And if someone is turning left and right at the same time King would be backed up for miles.

I understand pedestrian safety but this is way too extreme.

This was how I was taught in both in-class and in-car driver's training (10ish years ago). Granted, all of my lessons/testing were done in Mississauga, Kingston, and Waterloo. A far cry in pedestrian congestion.

They should change green lights to blue lights, because most colour-blind people cannot see green. This is not new knowledge, blue traffic lights should have been implemented a long time ago.

The colour used in green signals has a bit of blue in it.

Have there been accidents because of this? It's normally pretty clear which one is green from the location on the lights.

And there are other solutions ... the lights with green as round, yellow as diamond, and red as square.

The location of red/green signals aren't perfect, as left-turn signals below the green occurs and white bars on top can change this. In Manitoba, most signal casings/backboards are yellow, like Ontario, but those with left turn signals are black. This helps, I guess. Quebec, which typically uses horizontal signals, have red aspects on both side, but they have gone away from the shaped aspects that you described. I don't like the white-bar left turn signals where they are on top of a regular signal (like Queen/Broadview); they should be in their own housing.

Places with horizontal signals - common in Saskatchewan, Alberta, Texas, New Mexico etc. always have red on left, green on right.

Last edited:
Correct.

A large and increasing number of crosswalk buttons exist solely for the purpose of activating the Accessible Pedestrian Signal (APS) audible tones.

The problem in Toronto is that there is no visual distinction between the buttons that exist purely for accessibility reasons and the buttons that actually call the pedestrian phase. When I was in Waterloo Region a few months ago I noticed a recent signal installation that did make this distinction: the buttons that don't actually call the pedestrian phase have a blue icon of a walking person with a cane, as opposed to the "push button to cross" sticker we're all familiar with.

In Ottawa, buttons that are required to activate the pedestrian signal at any time have an additional yellow push to cross sign. Buttons that lack the sign are only to activate the audible signal. Some signals operate differently at different times of day, example requiring the button on main streets overnight but not during the day. These buttons have the sign because they need it for at least part of the day. Once you've figured this system out it's pretty clear, but it's not obvious to a bystander.

And a really silly rule is now being taught to new drivers. You are not allowed to turn left or right until ALL the pedestrians are out of the intersection. Say for example you are trying to turn right onto University at King. You have to wait until all pedestrians are out of all 6 lanes of traffic (3 lanes each way) before you can turn right.

And if someone is turning left and right at the same time King would be backed up for miles.

It just became a new law at crosswalks, but not at intersections

That's why I would like to see pedestrian safety islands added to the crosswalks.
inside_img2.jpg

island_in_center_lane.jpg

crossing_island2.jpg

506ab2be970ecff0ece2f44e3e50f9f8.jpg

median_midblock_wcw_example.jpg

my understanding is that the new rule about complete clearing of intersections applies to crosswalks...not traffic light controlled intersections. Could be wrong on that.....but that is what I understand

my understanding is that the new rule about complete clearing of intersections applies to crosswalks...not traffic light controlled intersections. Could be wrong on that.....but that is what I understand
The new rules for crosswalks are explicitly for pedestrian crosswalks. I went through the redline, and there were no changes to the rules about pedestrian crossings of intersections - it's perfectly legal to turn through the intersection if the pedestrian has already passed your lane - or is 8 lanes away on the other side of the street. And while that make sense on University, I'd expect driving instructors in the boondocks at a narrow intersection might offer other advice.

The new rules for crosswalks are explicitly for pedestrian crosswalks.

The requirement to yield the entire road to pedestrians at crosswalks comes into effect on January 1, 2016. Only the changes with respect to distracted driving, bicycle lighting and minimum passing distance, and the passing of towtrucks started on Sept 1. (see www.ontario.ca/transport)

The requirement to yield the entire road to pedestrians at crosswalks comes into effect on January 1, 2016. Only the changes with respect to distracted driving, bicycle lighting and minimum passing distance, and the passing of towtrucks started on Sept 1. (see www.ontario.ca/transport)
Nice law, but will it be enforced? Not once have I seen a policeman stop or reprimand any driver for not yielding to a pedestrian anywhere in the city.

True, but it is also highly unusual to see TPS stop drivers for breaking any rules, so it's not like the negligence is targeted.

True, but it is also highly unusual to see TPS stop drivers for breaking any rules, so it's not like the negligence is targeted.
I was once pulled over for not wearing a seat belt by a police car that was right beside me.....sadly, it turns out my only crime was "driving a convertible while wearing a grey jacket AND a grey seat belt"....which neither the officer or I could remember being an offense in the HTA :)

I was once pulled over for not wearing a seat belt by a police car that was right beside me.....sadly, it turns out my only crime was "driving a convertible while wearing a grey jacket AND a grey seat belt"....which neither the officer or I could remember being an offense in the HTA :)
LOL. Last time I was pulled over was for making a left-turn off O'Connor between 4 pm and 6 pm. When I pointed out it was 6:30 pm the officer was quite apologetic and wondered how it had gotten so late and we both went our way - honest mistake or simply a pretext to take a closer look I don't know.

Reactions: PL1
LOL. Last time I was pulled over was for making a left-turn off O'Connor between 4 pm and 6 pm. When I pointed out it was 6:30 pm the officer was quite apologetic and wondered how it had gotten so late and we both went our way - honest mistake or simply a pretext to take a closer look I don't know.
Yes...officers are human and we also enjoyed a chuckle over my incident

Reactions: PL1
That's why I would like to see pedestrian safety islands added to the crosswalks.

I find this much more confusing. I assume it means it is a divided highway and cars on the far half of the road do not need to stop. Maybe its needed for a six lane road, but there are virtually no crosswalks on these big streets.

If I am in a car, stopped at a red light and a bicycle passes me on the right, while they get within 1m of my car;

1) Do I get the ticket for being within 1m of a moving bicycle.
2) Does the bicycle get a ticket for coming within 1m of me.
3) Does it depend on the mood of the police officer on who gets a ticket.

Back