News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

Roads: Traffic catch all

I wish more of the world worked like this. I'm not a morning person. Not at all. :)

The morning people are taking over the planet.....to keep this on transit....look at our commuter rail schedules....trains at 5:30-6 in the morning and go home trains that start at, what, 3:45/4......but on most lines the go in trains stop around 8/8:15 and the go home trains are done by fish.

It is a conspiracy ....and I am too old to give in to them now!

TOareaFan,

I was googling some commute times out to Oakville during rush hour from CityPlace, and noticed that travel times were less than they were before the removal of a lane in each direction, which goes with your comment that your commute home took less time than usual. I think having the Gardiner compressed to 2 lanes, and opening to 3 where it normally would grind to a halt is what is helping things out. The bottleneck downtown seems to be doing a good job of regulating the traffic along the Western part of the Gardiner in the PM rush.

I wish more of the world worked like this. I'm not a morning person. Not at all. :)

If you're still in school, consider a career in tech :). Tech companies influenced by Silicon Valley work culture tend to be very lax in terms of both work hours and dress code.

Anyways with regards to the Gardiner, from what I understand, it must be closed temporarily & lane-reduced due to urgent repairs right? So what is there to debate? It has to happen from what I understand.

The morning people are taking over the planet.....to keep this on transit....look at our commuter rail schedules....trains at 5:30-6 in the morning and go home trains that start at, what, 3:45/4......but on most lines the go in trains stop around 8/8:15 and the go home trains are done by fish.

It is a conspiracy ....and I am too old to give in to them now!
Perhaps out in suburbia. If I head to the streetcar at 7 AM, it's pretty empty. And 6 AM ... it's scary ... the few passengers are seem to know each other and are acting like old friends. And the roads in the neighbourhood are pretty deserted then to. Though I find that in the last 7 years or so, the pain-free Gardiner experience I used to get (westbound) at 7:10 has now slipped back to 6:50 (at the latest). Well, last week ... not sure now. I'd happily take GO, but the first westbound departures on most lines out of downtown aren't until the afternoon ... doesn't work well for a morning meeting.

I found it funny how when I was biking westbound on the waterfront trail at 5pm, Lakeshore was a parking lot and people were moving westbound at 100km/h on the Gardiner. It was as if everyone had the same idea to avoid the Gardiner and take Lakeshore instead and so the Gardiner was moving faster than ever.

If you're still in school, consider a career in tech :). Tech companies influenced by Silicon Valley work culture tend to be very lax in terms of both work hours and dress code.

Interesting that you mention that now. I was speaking to a friend of mine who interned for Google earlier today. He was telling me about how incredibly flexible the work hours were. You could get away with coming into work at 11 if you wanted and take breaks whenever time you want. Of course you started slacking you'd be terminated. :eek:

TOareaFan,

I was googling some commute times out to Oakville during rush hour from CityPlace, and noticed that travel times were less than they were before the removal of a lane in each direction, which goes with your comment that your commute home took less time than usual. I think having the Gardiner compressed to 2 lanes, and opening to 3 where it normally would grind to a halt is what is helping things out. The bottleneck downtown seems to be doing a good job of regulating the traffic along the Western part of the Gardiner in the PM rush.

Took me a grand total of 2.5h to get home. Unfortunately unlike some, I don't drive to work, so I rely on a bus that goes along Lake Shore.

If this is the new reality for the next 2.5 years, I am not paying property tax. If there needs to be a lawsuit against the city for such reckless closures so be it. The Gardiner is beyond an essential piece of infrastructure as it is the only highway going downtown for anyone from Peel/Halton etc. There should be crews working in shifts for a full 24h until the repairs are done. You cannot close lanes on this highway for 2.5 years, you cannot.

This is affecting my neighbourhood disproportionately. We have no other alternatives and GO is too far from the condos. Our only local street (Lake Shore) becomes a parking lot making the drive to GO a commute itself. Our councillor wasn't even advised of the Gardiner restrictions! He's just as flummoxed as we all are. Someone in transportation will pay.

Our councillor wasn't even advised of the Gardiner restrictions! He's just as flummoxed as we all are. Someone in transportation will pay.

Then your councillor sucks. It's only been discussed at City Hall for about a year now, and in the news for several weeks, including back when City Hall first discussed the idea. If he didn't know this was coming, hes a tool.

Today's commute was awesome. No delays, left at the normal time and still got to work the usual time. (Leave home 7:40, get to work by 8:10) Guessing people found alternate routes today.

Then your councillor sucks. It's only been discussed at City Hall for about a year now, and in the news for several weeks, including back when City Hall first discussed the idea. If he didn't know this was coming, hes a tool.

Today's commute was awesome. No delays, left at the normal time and still got to work the usual time. (Leave home 7:40, get to work by 8:10) Guessing people found alternate routes today.

We all knew what was coming on the Gardiner - what we didn't know is the closure of the WB onramp, the lane restrictions on Lake Shore (for TTC work that is months late), the one lane each way on Park Lawn to accomodate a new sewer pipe.. Basically every way into our neighbourhood is restricted and to top it off you've got Gardiner traffic flowing through it! You tell me how anyone can live in these conditions! We're held hostage in our own neighbourhood.. We've got no way in or out!

TOareaFan,

Ironically, I think one of the things that kept the Gardiner flowing better last night was the closure of the ramp from the WB Lakeshore to the WB Gardiner......even reduced to two lanes, the section from Jameson to Parklawn will move fairly well if there is no merging traffic....I would bet there were a lot of people stuck on that Lakeshore W thinking they would just enter the Gardiner and were unable to.....tonight (i believe that ramp has re-openened) will be a truer test of what is ahead for the next while.

We all knew what was coming on the Gardiner - what we didn't know is the closure of the WB onramp, the lane restrictions on Lake Shore (for TTC work that is months late), the one lane each way on Park Lawn to accomodate a new sewer pipe.. Basically every way into our neighbourhood is restricted and to top it off you've got Gardiner traffic flowing through it! You tell me how anyone can live in these conditions! We're held hostage in our own neighbourhood.. We've got no way in or out!
Ride your bike. Cycling is always faster. If you live in the condos at Parklawn and Lakeshore, you would be downtown in half an hour max. And it is a nice ride by the lake.

Ride your bike. Cycling is always faster. If you live in the condos at Parklawn and Lakeshore, you would be downtown in half an hour max. And it is a nice ride by the lake.

I wear a suit to work, so no.

Agreed, it's a wonderful ride and I do it often - just not for commuting.

Ironically, I think one of the things that kept the Gardiner flowing better last night was the closure of the ramp from the WB Lakeshore to the WB Gardiner......even reduced to two lanes, the section from Jameson to Parklawn will move fairly well if there is no merging traffic....I would bet there were a lot of people stuck on that Lakeshore W thinking they would just enter the Gardiner and were unable to.....tonight (i believe that ramp has re-openened) will be a truer test of what is ahead for the next while.

So we should hold hostage local Toronto neighbourhoods for the sake of those commuting from buttfuck nowhere?

So we should hold hostage local Toronto neighbourhoods for the sake of those commuting from buttfuck nowhere?

I think you are letting your personal anger inject things into statements that just aren't there. Someone pointed out how well the Gardiner flowed westbound last night....and they were right......all I did was point out that in addition to the lane closure on the Garidner, yesterday we had the closure of the ramp from WB lakeshore to WB Gardiner.......that no longer exists and today will be a truer test/example of how the Gardiner will flow.

If anything, you should see some positive in what I said. The Lakeshore took the brunt of that double closure yesterday and since you have said:

so I rely on a bus that goes along Lake Shore.

Improvements on the flow on the Lakeshore (as people are now able to get back on the Gardiner now) should improve (and I don't know by how much) your trip.

please try to keep the inappropriate references to anal sex to a minimum.

Back