News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Roads: Post on TO Viaduct "proposal"

today i was reading the wiki article on the gardiner because i wanted to find some pics and info on the falling ice from the CN tower when i stumbled upon this...

from wiki gardiner expressway article....

before:

29byf49.jpg

my edit:

2lnv2c9.jpg

changed back a few hours later:

29byf49.jpg

LOL if that's socialwoe!!!

:rollin

Your edits to Gardiner Expressway

Thank you for experimenting with Wikipedia. Your test worked, and it has been reverted or removed. Please use the sandbox for any other tests you may want to do. Take a look at the welcome page to learn more about contributing to our encyclopedia. "left blank" 14:18, 7 March 2007 (UTC)

p.s, i changed it again to take the screen caps but put it back to the original. i'm not an asshole.

Though, to be honest, "fantasy" is fighting words.

It'd have been better to downplay or delete mention of the viaduct altogether, considering that it's far from a galvanizing, concrete proposal.

Yeah. "Proposed" does make it sound legit, which it certainly is not. Some car-crazy engineer's wet dream, for sure.

...you did afterall just wish dead upon me, psychos!

socialwoe:
Actually the news release references "very high post counts" so I doubt your life was threatened. Must read more carefully. ;-)

^:eek I guess at 1400+ posts you've become apart of a very exclusive club then. Funny how there's always an opening...stage left.

Oh and Wiki's dildo, since 'fantasy' and 'proposed' mean the exact same thing in this sense I fail to see how you wasting precious minutes of your meaningless existence reading, editing and reformatting a wiki page that wasn't remotely funny or even thought-provoking is supposed to a jab at my ego! Where do seriously think the DRL will go? Along the existing corridor? Underneath Front St? Dumbass :rolleyes !

Re: Re: Post on the TO Viaduct proposal

since 'fantasy' and 'proposed' mean the exact same thing in this sense

No, not at all.
For it to be proposed it would have to be officially sent in to the city council, otherwise it's just somebody's wet dream at night.

Oh and Wiki's dildo, since 'fantasy' and 'proposed' mean the exact same thing in this sense I fail to see how you wasting precious minutes of your meaningless existence reading, editing and reformatting a wiki page that wasn't remotely funny or even thought-provoking is supposed to a jab at my ego! Where do seriously think the DRL will go? Along the existing corridor? Underneath Front St? Dumbass :rolleyes !

socialwoe, i din't mean to hurt your feelings.

p.s, if the viaduct is a proposal then so is my plan.

here is my official proposal which includes the following points...

1) the gardiner expressway be coated with ice in the winter so people can skate to work.

2) install a conveyor belt on the expressway in the summertime to get toronto moving!

3) only allow small cars on the expressway to increase its capacity.

4) eliminate all ramps on the expressway because nobody actually uses it to get to toronto. they're just passing through.

5) install dedicated lanes for fat white angry conservative types who lament the loss of toronto's expansive expressway plans (preventing us from becoming a world class city like detroit) so that they don't have a cow.

6) install a gravity reversal system underneath the expressway so cars can make use of the neglected upside down capacity.

7) have helicopters dump instant setting cement in the don river so that it can be used as a roadway and increase the size of the DVP.

8) have the government subsidize installing a railway adaption kit to all cars so that they can make use of the rail corridors.

9) tie ropes to all the cars and have all the ropes attached to a pulley and weight on top of the cn tower. when people want to go to work, they can simply drop the weight and all the cars will retract into the core.

10) tell paul melnichuk to ask god for a solution to toronto's traffic problem. in return, he will get his driveway paved for his effort.

there's my proposal. all we need to do now is make a website, some graphics, mention it 3 times in the gardiner expressway wikipedia article and it will be official. before you know it, it'll be in the paper and the caa will praise it. it is a serious proposal by the way. because it was thought of, it's official now!

No, not at all. For it to be proposed it would have to be officially sent in to the city council, otherwise it's just somebody's wet dream at night.

A proposal is merely a suggestive guildline or recomendation of where future extensions should go. Because it's based in the future it's only a fantasy because it's intangible i.e. conditions can change at any point making prior suggetions null and void regardless of whether it was submitted to city officials or not. It really must be a wet dream to aspire for subways in the downtown core when vacant lots around Hwy 7 are aparently the future, go dismal future go :rolleyes !

before you know it, it'll be in the paper and the caa will praise it. it is a serious proposal by the way. because it was thought of, it's official now!

Another chimp straped him for his blast off to Planet Crazytown :lol ! I never took the Gardiner-over-the-rail-corridor idea that seriously but at least admit the current arrangement is an eyesore and unsafe (for all your joking around and so-called savvy you guys fail to even listen to the news. A part of it did actually collapse recently and could've killed some one for real). If elevated the DRL could run on the underbelly, not affecting commuter/freight trains below or costly tunnel-boring under Front and opening up the harbourfront to more development and greater public pedestrian accessibilty. But now that DRL's officially squashed we need not worry about either projects anymore!

^^ I give up... clearly you can't read since the press release had absolutely nothing to do with you (sorry), but the post above it.

Did they kill this project? Its sad if they did , it would of complimented the downtown core with or suspension cables look running through rail land corridor. It would have also been used as a walkway for tourist and local pedestrians to get around. I like to here more about . The gardener expressway elevated bridge make the area look dirty and cluttered with all the with all those condos beside it. A grand boulevard with plants and trees in the middle like university avenue would brighten the lakeshore road street underneath up. Not the expressway it make the place look industrial. The condos deserve a grand boulevard. It will tie in the old fort York area with office district for tourist to walk through gazing at the suspension bridge viaduct to the north . This a winning combination for tourist and locals giving Toronto that more touristy look just like Chicago has.

Did they kill this project? Its sad if they did , it would of complimented the downtown core with or suspension cables look running through rail land corridor.

There was no project. It was merely someone of no standing's fantasy. Not a cent was spent.

You got to be kidding me! That's one man's fantasy? Toronto had an identity problem in the world before it built the CN Tower. That gave it an image boost. Imagine the cable suspension viaduct bridge running along the railway corridor all lighted up with lights at night beside the CN Tower's colourful nightlight display. The lakeshore boulevards center medium's trees all lighted up with tiny white bulbs .And covering the rail land corridor making it a Toronto style central park all lighted with entertainment etc. For all those future condo dwellers to escape the concrete jungle for some leisure time. Tieing all this in with the future Lower Down land would be spectacular to gaze at at night from an airplane. Would create a perfect photo shot for a post card. Making Toronto a better word class city for its identity!
Living in a tourist area like Niagara gives me the inspiration to foresee such a project like this come true for Toronto.

Living in a tourist area like Niagara gives me the inspiration to foresee such a project like this come true for Toronto.
A tourist area like Niagara? Is that really what we want for Toronto? I can't think of any redeeming feature of any project in Niagara Falls, that are less than 10,000 years old!

A tourist area like Niagara? Is that really what we want for Toronto? I can't think of any redeeming feature of any project in Niagara Falls, that are less than 10,000 years old!

Like it or not you have more tourist coming to Toronto than Niagara. Which makes you're town more into tourism than my town. That why I feel this vision should come to life . You can't see how the Gardiner expressway bridge kills the image of the down town. You have an historical area that created the city called Fort York .And its view is covered be an elevated highway .a grand boulevard would connect*the fort with the downtown financial district. I would rather walk down a street looking like Victoria Park in the falls than under an elevated highway to get to the fort or the exhibition place . it more pleasant.

The viaduct is never going to happen - the ramps, support structures and other necessary engineering, once you dug into the details, would have been huge, expensive, and death to everything around it - but a miniature version serving as an express route from Church to the DVP might just work and would not be much different from what some are proposing now.

Last edited:

Back