Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion | Page 162

Discussion in 'Transportation and Infrastructure' started by Haljackey, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Steve X

Steve X Senior Member

Anything that goes through the Canadian Shield is going to be expansive.

2. markhamdevelopments

markhamdevelopments New Member

Yes because they have to blast the rocks to make room for the highway.

3. markhamdevelopments

markhamdevelopments New Member

Must see video! Check out Brian Hardy's video of Highway 401 in Pickering in May 20, 1993!

4. cplchanb

cplchanb Senior Member

not sure if this has been discussed earlier in this thread but what is going on with the 401/dvp interchange? Are they just rehabbing that section of bridge or are they widening it?

5. Leo_Chan

Leo_Chan Active Member

Nothing major, just minor fixes to the bridges/overpasses. I which they were widening it or reconfiguring it completely (never happening soon).

6. cplchanb

cplchanb Senior Member

-_-...man...it's been just rubble and construction for months.... I actually was a bit optimistic....but come to think about the pace....if theyre taking THIS long just to do "minor" repairs imagine how many decades it would take to do a reconfig
    if it ever happens...

7. Leo_Chan

Leo_Chan Active Member

Would a 2-lane, 6 flyover, 4 level stack interchange even be possible for this interchange reconfiguration? Or even efficient?

I feel like the main bottleneck is the 6 lanes of the DVP, it should be at least 8 or 10 lanes down to Lawrence/Eglinton.

8. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Senior Member

The biggest and most painful bottleneck is the sb 404 - DVP connection. If they fixed that, a lot of issues would disappear. Northbound from the DVP operates fine. Extend the HOV down to York Mills, and make the 401 off ramp portion 3 lanes instead of 2.

9. Haljackey

Haljackey Active Member

Oh absolutely, if you have the money to build it and drivers have the patience to sit through years of construction and retrofits to configure the thing. Plus NIMBYs that will complain that the 4 level high monster would be urban blight.

Could look something like this one in Houston, I-10 being the 401:
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@29.784512,-95.5632596,1045m/data=!3m1!1e3

KevinT likes this.
  10. Leo_Chan

Leo_Chan Active Member

How many $B would this cost?

I know this is extremely unlikely and never happening, but how well would a full Highway 2A to Gardiner and north to Hwy 407 do to alleviate the 404/401/DVP interchange?

11. andrewpmk

andrewpmk Senior Member

Thinking about the Honda Indy Lake Shore closure that begins tonight. Is there any way that Lake Shore Boulevard could be shifted south a bit around Exhibition Place? A new Lake Shore would be built about 20m south of the current one in the Ontario Place parking lot. Then, the current alignment of Lake Shore (north of the new Lake Shore) would become a racetrack. That way, it would be possible to have Honda Indy without closing Lake Shore, and possibly other events as well. This would be expensive, but it is probably possible.

12. Haljackey

Haljackey Active Member

13. Woodbridge_Heights

Woodbridge_Heights Senior Member

Actually if you go a bit further east down the I-10 there is an even more complex interchange with the I-610 as there are ramps from the middle HOV lanes as well as the normal outer lane off ramps. This is what the 404/DVP/401 interchange could be if you think about it. Ramps from/to 401 Express and Collector lanes, and ramps for normal and HOV lanes on the 404/DVP. And ideally each would join the merging highway more or less as their own on ramps, rather than merging with (and the ensuing reduction in lane capacity) other ramps.
    Examples:
    - Southbound 404 regular to Westbound 401 Express
    - Southbound 404 regular to Westbound 401 Collector
    - Southbound 404 HOV to Westbound 401 Express
    - Southbound 404 HOV to Westbound 401 Collector
    and on and on...
    A sim city players dream... LOL

14. Leo_Chan

Leo_Chan Active Member

More like Cities : Skylines. SimCity doesn't (didn't) have enough functionality to make this kind of interchange (and the graphics are bad).

Speaking of city building games, I made this copy of the interchange a while back in Cities : Skylines. I might make one that would be my "ideal interchange".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. JasonParis

JasonParis Moderator

Has any serious consideration ever gone into renaming Ontario's 400-series highways?

I think politically it would probably be unpopular (at least at first), but the current system doesn't really make sense either. I'm thinking a system of odd numbers for north-south corridors and even for east-west would be the most sensical. Starting at 1 and through to 17 (currently). Maybe put an "ON" in front of each one too. So for instance, the 401 could be the ON2.

It would also be nice to concurrently accentuate their *real* names too (i.e. Macdonald-Cartier Freeway, etc.)