News   Apr 25, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Roads: Illumination of the Bloor Viaduct

This evening. Screengrab from a video that didn't turn out great. Earlier shots turned out much better, but no illumination so they aren't useful here.
viaduct.JPG

Attachments

• viaduct.JPG
    viaduct.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,159
It has a pretty eerie effect from below on the Don Valley Trail.

IMG_6815.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6815.JPG
    IMG_6815.JPG
    525.3 KB · Views: 1,009
What time do the lights normally come on? I've driven by a few times, when it was much darker, and they were off.

What time do the lights normally come on? I've driven by a few times, when it was much darker, and they were off.

They seem to be coming on earlier. The time always seems to line up with dusk.

Passed by Economic Development Committee today:

Completing the Lighting of the Prince Edward Viaduct
Origin

(September 14, 2015) Letter from Councillor Paula Fletcher, Ward 30, Toroonto-Danforth and Councillor Mary Fragedakis, Ward 29, Toronto-Danforth
Recommendations
That the Economic Development Committee:

1. Request the General Manager of Economic Development and Culture to evaluate the sesquicentennial of Canada in 2017 and the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Prince Edward Viaduct as opportunities, to complete lighting of the Prince Edward Viaduct and report to the Economic Development Committee from a budgetary, logistical and timing perspective in Q4 in 2015.

Summary
The Prince Edward Viaduct was completed in 1918 as a critical gateway across the Don Valley connecting the east end to the city centre. It is considered one of the most successful infrastructure projects within the City and is an important heritage landmark.

In late 1990’s the City worked with the community to introduce a suicide barrier on the bridge. The Luminous Veil was chosen. The initial phase completed in 2002 while opportunities were sought to complete the project with the lighting of the veil. This year Phase One of the veil lighting was accomplished as a Pan Am Games legacy project. All of the technical studies and requirements were completed as part of the Pan Am legacy project however financial considerations allowed for only the top half of the bridge to be lit.

Tens of thousands of residents gathered on the bridge in celebration, and Toronto is now host to the largest public art installation in Canada.

Phase Two – lighting of the remainder of this heritage structure- is still to be completed.

Two opportunities present themselves to complete the lighting of the Prince Edward Viaduct: the sesquicentennial of Canada in 2017 and the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Viaduct itself.

I am so happy to hear this. The lighting will be much enhanced if and when Phase 2 is completed. In it's current state, the lighting of the viaduct looks so mediocre, with only the road deck illuminated.

IIRC, Phase 2 will include the complete illumination of the arches, and the illumination of the subway deck. The lights on the subway deck will change colour as trains move by.

lit_up_luminous_veil.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

The columns will be lit too, no? And there's no way tens of thousands of people celebrated the unveiling of the lights. That's not even physically possible.

Really happy to hear that news! I thought the fact that they didn't get it off the ground in time for Pan Am games means we would never see it.

But I thought we need an Olympics to get nice things! Or at least that's what I've been hearing from the Olympic boosters.

But I thought we need an Olympics to get nice things! Or at least that's what I've been hearing from the Olympic boosters.

Let's not forget we wouldn't have gotten this without Pan Am, given it was in hiatus for what, a decade after Luminous Veil (and sadly if you need the Olympics to get a bridge lit up for less than 5M, the city should just give up on beautifying anything now).

AoD

Let's not forget we wouldn't have gotten this without Pan Am, given it was in hiatus for what, a decade after Luminous Veil (and sadly if you need the Olympics to get a bridge lit up for less than 5M, the city should just give up on beautifying anything now).

AoD

Touché.

Back