News   Apr 24, 2024
 119     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 593     0 

Roads: Illumination of the Bloor Viaduct

If the rest of the bridge ever gets lit, I hope it will be white lighting. That would have a more classic aesthetic and would better suit the design and the era in which it was built. I wouldn't want to see colourful LEDs on the piers and ironwork.

It would be great if the sidewalks on the bridge were widened. This would make walking over it more comfortable and would allow for more space for people to linger; making this area more welcoming for people to come to enjoy the atmosphere.

On the bridge there are three eastbound lanes but two westbound lanes, which is weird. The extra eastbound lane could be surrendered to make room for wider sidewalks.

Screen shot 2015-08-03 at 9.46.34 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-08-03 at 9.46.34 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-08-03 at 9.46.34 PM.png
    400.9 KB · Views: 626
Not so weird. There's a ramp to the Northbound DVP on the one side, and the ramp regularly backs up along that 3rd lane in the morning, and afternoon. Essentially, it's 2 lanes going Eastbound, and only the two inner lanes actually go Eastbound. (The third lane exits onto the ramp and disappears.

It was 3 and 3 before the bike lanes were added though. You can still see the lanes by following the cracks in the road.

Not so weird. There's a ramp to the Northbound DVP on the one side, and the ramp regularly backs up along that 3rd lane in the morning, and afternoon. Essentially, its 2 lanes going Eastbound, and only the two inner lanes actually go Eastbound. (The third lane exits onto the ramp and disappears.

It was 3 and 3 before the bike lanes were added though. You can still see the lanes by following the cracks in the road.

I was aware of that, however I said what I said because there's another DVP ramp at Castle Frank and yet there's no extra westbound lane on the bridge. However when I re-checked google maps I saw there actually is a third lane there which begins right after the bridge. Pardon my ignorance.

The Viaduct should have ornamental street lights as well.
Let's not be ridiculous. Which city do you think this is? Toronto's attidude toward its public realm is kind of like: If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you too? In other words: just because basically every single major city on the planet goes the extra mile to present themselves well, it doesn't mean we can't avoid doing the same. And somehow we think we're the wiser. Most people in this city -- including our civic leaders -- are perfectly content with Toronto looking like The Dude from The Big Lebowski. The mindset in this city is similar to those of the survivors from the movie: Alive. Remember how they rationed wine and chocolate in order to survive? They were initially hesitant to indulge themselves and go straight for the frozen butt jerky. But once their doubts were diminished, they couldn't resist gorging themselves. Toronto hasn't gotten to that stage yet. We're still in that rationing phase where we're afraid that the poor will die and the rich will M'Yeah (like 1920s gangsters) themselves into drooling vegetables if we spend anything beyond what is required to meet any given objective.

Last edited:
Let's not be ridiculous. Which city do you think this is? Toronto's attidude toward its public realm is kind of like: If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you too? In other words: just because basically every single major city on the planet goes the extra mile to present themselves well, it doesn't mean we can't avoid doing the same. And somehow we think we're the wiser. Most people in this city -- including our civic leaders -- are perfectly content with Toronto looking like The Dude from The Big Lebowski. The mindset in this city is similar to those of the survivors from the movie: Alive. Remember how they rationed wine and chocolate in order to survive? They were initially hesitant to indulge themselves and go straight for the frozen butt jerky. But once their doubts were diminished, they couldn't resist gorging themselves. Toronto hasn't gotten to that stage yet. We're still in that rationing phase where we're afraid that the poor will die and the rich will M'Yeah (like 1920s gangsters) themselves into drooling vegetables if we spend anything beyond what is required to meet any given objective.

Can't agree more. Toronto rarely care to be more beautiful it seems. As long as it works, it is fine, and it even feels smart in not wasting the money in decorating. Fountains, statues or any sort of sculptures are hard to find in the city. Whenever we have a park, it is nothing but grass, trees and a few benches.

Not so weird. There's a ramp to the Northbound DVP on the one side, and the ramp regularly backs up along that 3rd lane in the morning, and afternoon.

Why do our roads (bridges) cater to cars? The bridge should be narrowed to one automobile lane in each direction and the remaining space could be used for a public garden or perhaps a library. The ramp to the DVP should be removed entirely as it's a danger to cyclists and only encourages more people to drive. There are too many ramps on and off the DVP as is. Anyway, hopefully soon the DVP will be a toll highway which will discourage car use. The ravine should be returned to its natural state. Want to get downtown? Take the TTC. Or ride.

The only thing that's ridiculous here is the idea that installing a zen garden on the bridge would be desirable and get people to hang out in between two highway on-off-ramps.

It's a good thing there's no ornamental lighting here because there's enough light pollution in the city as is. We don't need retro fashion 18th century lighting technology putting light everywhere except where it is needed; on the road where cars need it to see.

No one asked for 18th century lighting (I think you meant 19th), but rather ornamental lights; i.e. one's that look attractive. They could still use modern lighting technology. And yes, it would be nice if the Don Valley could return to its natural state, but as long as cars are necessary, the DVP will remain.

Why do our roads (bridges) cater to cars? The bridge should be narrowed to one automobile lane in each direction and the remaining space could be used for a public garden or perhaps a library. The ramp to the DVP should be removed entirely as it's a danger to cyclists and only encourages more people to drive. There are too many ramps on and off the DVP as is. Anyway, hopefully soon the DVP will be a toll highway which will discourage car use. The ravine should be returned to its natural state. Want to get downtown? Take the TTC. Or ride.

It's an intimidating on ramp, but I use it daily and cars are pretty accommodating to cyclists. I've crossed it several times by bike too and never had an issue. It's one place where I feel drivers actually do become a bit more cautious.

I wonder how the Dutch would solve this on-ramp issue for cyclists.

Probably traffic lights. Bikes would stay at the curb, and lights would stop cars turning right onto the ramp so that cyclists could cross safely.

In some high-traffic situations, they may grade separate, having the onramp dive below the bike path.

Last edited:

Back