News   Apr 25, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Roads: Highway 407 East (Durham Region)

The 400 is probably the most suitable highway in Ontario for this arrangement too. A lot of uni-directional, high multiple occupant vehicle travel. The percentage of cars with multiple passengers on weekends, particularly in the summer, is probably significantly higher than the daily average elsewhere, or even compared to the 401 in the same time period. A lot of the HOV travel along that corridor is 'express' travel too, with most just using it to get somewhere else, as opposed to their destination actually lying along it.

PS: 5,000th post! I guess I officially live here now, haha...

And a great contributor you have been.

The 400 is probably the most suitable highway in Ontario for this arrangement too. A lot of uni-directional, high multiple occupant vehicle travel. The percentage of cars with multiple passengers on weekends, particularly in the summer, is probably significantly higher than the daily average elsewhere, or even compared to the 401 in the same time period. A lot of the HOV travel along that corridor is 'express' travel too, with most just using it to get somewhere else, as opposed to their destination actually lying along it.

PS: 5,000th post! I guess I officially live here now, haha...

Oh Jeeze I must have hit 4,000 in the last few days.. I've been around for a year less than you as well, and barely made any posts for the first 6 months!

Congratulations.

Oh Jeeze I must have hit 4,000 in the last few days.. I've been around for a year less than you as well, and barely made any posts for the first 6 months!

Both averaging about 1,000 posts a year, or nearly 2.75 posts a day. Yikes!

And a great contributor you have been.

Gracias! (ditto comment to denfromoakvillemilton)

Ccxh6nB.jpg

Highway 7 overpass just east of Brock Road. The bridge structure will be for Highway 7, with the 407 running underneath.

The Brock road interchange is starting to come together, now that the snow is melting it is starting to come into view a bit more. the Brock Road realignment around Braugham is completely graded, just waiting for pavement which I presume will not be done for a while now.

And before someone asks, My car was completely stopped in this photo and pulled to the side of a rural road with no traffic. (sideline 16)

Last edited:
Thanks for the update... I don't make it out to the east end anymore, so it's nice to see the occasional picture.

Are there many other bridges going up, other than this one and the Whitby bridge at Ashburn road?

decided to make my commute a bit longer today to drive along the EDL on Lake Ridge road, and the only significant work I saw was for the new Lakeridge 401 overpass as well as a bridge for the 401 realignment over a river. The EDL-407 interchange doesn't appear to have begun yet, or at least I couldn't see any work regarding it over a short hill, meaning no significant bridge structures yet.

Google earth has some new satellite imagery from September 17th showing the Brock road interchange. You can clearly see the Brock Road realignment around Brougham as well as the highway 7 realignment so that it no longer meets up with the 407.

qrWDIHC.jpg

This is what I could discern from it. The bridge I photographed is the one where red passes over yellow. (also ignore the blue line along the 407 route, that was accidental)

Yellow = 407
Red = highway 7
Green = Brock road
Thin Blue Line = Southbound brock - eastbound 407 ramp, the only discernible ramp in the imagery.

1T2MwLl.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a NIMBY pacifying alignment: Please don't run traffic through our country hamlet...I don't see why it would matter anyways, as the 407 runs south of Brougham.

it only bypasses it to allow for space for a parclo interchange rather than some form of substandard diamond. It also allows them to 4 lane Brock road across the highway which is sort of needed.

Brougham is a total craphole anyway, it could use the reduced traffic. 2 of its 3 streets are 80km/h highways, with the third being the old alignment of Brock road. (thats right, this is the second realignment of Brock)

Last edited:
I've never seen the option to get recent updated satellite imagery on the Google maps website, although I do see members here make reference to such an option, when they talk about projects like this. Care to let me in on the 'secret'?

JFVBp2I.jpg

you can also look at older imagery, they have some stuff for Niagara Falls / St. Catherines from the 1930's. oldest imagery in the GTA is between 2002 and 2004. I find it interesting to look at the suburban sprawl growth over the decade.

Last edited:
I've never seen the option to get recent updated satellite imagery on the Google maps website, although I do see members here make reference to such an option, when they talk about projects like this. Care to let me in on the 'secret'?

No techy here....but there is a difference between google maps and google earth!

it only bypasses it to allow for space for a parclo interchange rather than some form of substandard diamond. It also allows them to 4 lane Brock road across the highway which is sort of needed.

Brougham is a total craphole anyway, it could use the reduced traffic. 2 of its 3 streets are 80km/h highways, with the third being the old alignment of Brock road. (thats right, this is the second realignment of Brock)

I don't understand the obsession with making everything possible a parclo interchange. I understand that at high traffic volumes they move traffic the most effectively onto and off of the highway, but for a road that's realistically going to see as little traffic as the 407 East they're a colossal waste of space.

Back