News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Highway 419 between Guelph, Alliston, and Barrie: the quadruple bypass.
Methinks this has a horrifyingly high likelihood of being prophetic on the level of grumbling about a "Newmarket stub" when Sheppard opened predicting Viva Yellow...
I admit I'm a little perplexed by that one as the PCs walked back most of their urban expansion area decisions they made in 2022. They seem to be picking the "neither one" option, honestly.
Which would be consistent with the lot of them being heavily invested in real estate.

It feels like a wrong route is chosen for Hwy 413. Perhaps wouldn't be a bad idea to have a true bypass connecting Barrie to the South. Could start at the 401/407 interchange just as the 413, but then go north of Brampton, north of Bolton, near Schomberg, and connect to the 400 near the Hwy 9 interchange. Or, even further north and be combined with the Bradford Bypass.

Per the current plan, the 413 will connect to the 400 too close to Toronto. Instead of the bypass effect, will bring more peak-period traffic to the southern section of the 400, and likely increase the congestion there.

Glad to see this moving forward, it is needed. Most of the transportation infrastructure spending in this province has been rail (Ontario Line, Finch, Crosstown, Scarborough Subway, Yonge extension, Go electrification, Hamilton LRT etc etc). I think we can allow one highway project in an area where higher order transit is not viable. This is one of the fasted growing regions in NA.

What time frame are you going on? 407, 407 E, 401 expansions, 427 extension, 412, 418, 410 extension have all been built within recent times.

This is always an interesting discussion. A new (or addition to existing) rail line, or subway, or even LRT costs more to build than a lane of highway on a per km basis but how do you measure the benefits? Someone taking transit instead of driving frees up highway capacity possibly more than adding a highway lane does. It's too bad more often than not transit and road building are placed at odds with each other rather than being used co operatively as two tools that solve the same problem.

In the case of the 413 my compromise was that a 'super 2' type regional highway be built, a full fledged 400 series highway is not needed here. All that's needed is one road option to cross the region.

It feels like a wrong route is chosen for Hwy 413. Perhaps wouldn't be a bad idea to have a true bypass connecting Barrie to the South. Could start at the 401/407 interchange just as the 413, but then go north of Brampton, north of Bolton, near Schomberg, and connect to the 400 near the Hwy 9 interchange. Or, even further north and be combined with the Bradford Bypass.

Per the current plan, the 413 will connect to the 400 too close to Toronto. Instead of the bypass effect, will bring more peak-period traffic to the southern section of the 400, and likely increase the congestion there.
Highway 400 is currently being widened in the Vaughan area, from Langstaff up to King Road. The goal is to extend the HOV lane all the way through Barrie to Highway 11. So the location of the intersection between 400 and 413 makes sense.

It's already about as far north as it can get without being fully in the greenbelt, which is a no-go, even for this government. Maybe for the next bypass 30-50 years from now.

Add Bolton, Orangeville, plus Midtown with the Milton upgrades.
A 413 bypass wouldn't open up the midtown. We would need CP to construct a bypass that goes around the entire GTA for that. This would open up the Milton line and make the Orangeville line possible.

A 413 bypass wouldn't open up the midtown. We would need CP to construct a bypass that goes around the entire GTA for that. This would open up the Milton line and make the Orangeville line possible.
Ahh, I see. Not sure CP would agree to that though as the route would be far more circuitous, adding about 35 kilometres of run distance, nor do I suspect building the new corridor on that alignment would be particularly cheaper than just upgrading the Milton line for GO Service, and it would impact the ability to provide Bolton GO service down the line as well.

The Terms of Reference for the initial GTA West Environmental Assessment (back in July 2007) allowed for a route between Guelph and Hwy 400:
1711125386223.png

I don't support the 413 but at least a highway north of Brampton and Georgetown would have provided a route for stone from the many quarries to move into the GTA off local roads.

Highway 419 between Guelph, Alliston, and Barrie: the quadruple bypass.
You joke, but I think that part of this is a real genuine possibility - I wouldn’t consider it out of the question for the province to propose a Bradford Bypass extension west toward Alliston/New Tecumseth if Honda ends up building their battery plant there.

You joke, but I think that part of this is a real genuine possibility - I wouldn’t consider it out of the question for the province to propose a Bradford Bypass extension west toward Alliston/New Tecumseth if Honda ends up building their battery plant there.
I doubt it would be that extensive. Likely more like a 4-laning of 89 with a bypass of Cookstown. It would be a sort of similar condition to what they are doing for access to St. Thomas, and I think a full freeway connection, running primarily southwest, would be overkill and counterintuitive to a lot of traffic on 89, which actually heads north to Barrie. The Bradford Bypass is ultimately 9 kilometres south of 89, it would be quite a detour to connect northwards to Alliston.

Once (or even if) the Highway 7 freeway gets built from Kitchener to Highway 6 in Guelph, then we can look at a further extension to the 413 (if built). That would give you a redundancy in the highway network and could even delay widening of the 401.

Not happening. MTO is finally doing the EA for the last stretch of the 401 between Cambridge and Milton - I suspect it'll show up on the 5-year program in the next ~5 years or so.

Back