News   May 17, 2024
 2.3K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Since the motorists don't like tolls, increase the downtown parking fees. From both garage and street parking. At the same time, increase the parking tickets. If a motorists drives away from a NO STOPPING zone, send the ticket in the mail.

How about the City being more proactive in collecting payment from the tickets!

If the City does opt to use tolls, and chooses plate recognition technology, I would like to see it somehow linked to the Presto ePurse. What I mean by this is you would have two different "fare" categories: License Plate linked to Presto, and License Plate not linked to Presto. The Presto fare would be equal to the TTC Presto fare, while the non-linked fare would be subject to some sort of plate recognition surcharge (like the 407).

This would have the added advantage of people who normally wouldn't buy a Presto card to get one. That may get them to occasionally try taking transit, since they already have one in their wallet. This would also have the advantage of making it easier for GO to eventually charge for parking at GO stations using the same technology. As a side note, I'd also like to see a Presto option at Green P's.

Queen's Park will, nor should it, ever upload the Gardiner or DVP so no point talking about it.

Anyway, with this Green Gardiner idea, does that mean there will be a 3 storey pile mound of grass blocking the view of the water? If they want to bring the city back to it's Waterfront then building a 1.5km mole hill isn't the way to do it.

I couldn't find discussion of this Gardiner proposal highlighted in Spacing magazine (link below). I'm curious to know what the forumer's think of this innovative proposal to re-build the highway over an expanded rail corridor. I don't think the park above is needed, but this proposal frees up land and can be built without closing the existing highway during construction. Seems like a win-win because the budget is reasonable and the engineering is is not rocket science.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2015/09/21/gardiner-east-city-looking-innovative-decking-rail-corridor/

great, thanks! I wish you well. This city can do better with acting on good ideas for long term benefit.

If we could switch Scarborough subway back to LRT, we could pay for much of this and everyone would be better off.

I hope turf wars between agencies would not stifle the ability to do coordinated projects like this.

Last edited:

All I see is a metaphorical wall being turned into an actual physical wall. Wrapping oneself in the green flag doesn't change that.

Would covering the rail corridor prohibit diesel trains from using it? (After GO RER is initiated, will there still be any diesel trains?)

At the PWIC meeting, there was also a second alternative proposal presented by Paul Bedford that involves some sort of berm. Is there any info on that?

Attachments

• berm.jpg
    berm.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 210
This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

This is going to result in a 4 storey pile of green dirt completely cutting off the Waterfront from Corktown. For anyone trying to get to the water this is going to be Toronto's Great Wall of China with a green roof. This monstrosity turns the entire Waterfront into a glorified gated community.

The tracks and Gardiner are currently psychological barriers and this dreadful thing will turn them into physical barriers............this will be worse then what they have now. It would be better just to keep the Gardiner up then go ahead with this blight on the city. At least with the Gardiner and railway you can still see past them but this creates a solid wall where you can't even see the water.

This thing is grotesque and no city in their right mind would go for this supposed "Green" Gardiner. I'll be horrified if the city even considers this thing.

Anyway, with this Green Gardiner idea, does that mean there will be a 3 storey pile mound of grass blocking the view of the water? If they want to bring the city back to it's Waterfront then building a 1.5km mole hill isn't the way to do it.

Ah, but what we could do is install strategically-placed mirrors angled in such a way so as to act as a cloaking device. It'd give us straight sightlines to the water. Kidding aside, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of this berm/esker thing. Perhaps not what they propose, but I'd support anything that gives us more greenery and trees. .

Perhaps this picture from the Star could help visualize what the berm would look like.

Screen shot 2015-09-24 at 3.02.05 PM.png

Aside: I really dislike Lakeshore Blvd in the west end just as much as the downtown segment. The road is very wide, every single intersection (like the one in the photo) has a terrible design that is extremely unfriendly to cyclists and pedestrians, and it wastes a lot of land on the waterfront:
Screen shot 2015-09-24 at 5.40.27 PM.png

One day I hope the city will completely rebuild the whole damn thing between Bathurst and Parklawn.
1. Shift the roadway north right up to the Gardiner so that it's away from the Martin Goodman trail. Right now it feels like you're cycling beside a highway with all the traffic noise.
2. The parks along the waterfront could be significantly expanded with all the new land that would be made available.
3. Rebuild all intersections to modern standards.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-09-24 at 3.02.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-24 at 3.02.05 PM.png
    451.3 KB · Views: 350
  • Screen shot 2015-09-24 at 5.40.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-24 at 5.40.27 PM.png
    999.5 KB · Views: 375

Back