News   May 09, 2024
 279     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 556     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Riverdale

I don't believe they have a location yet. As with a lot of places, apparently the rent is going up. (I've only heard second-hand.)

I suppose if one were pressing things one might also count The Works in the list of gourmet burger places, although it's gone now.

Riverdale Traffic Group

So a bunch of residents living on Victor/Langley (I'm guessing under 20) have decided to form a group that is trying to make Simpson/Langley/Victor 'maze' streets, so it can't be used at all by anyone trying to travel between Carlaw and Broadview. They will be trying to push and from the sounds of it, the Councillor may be open to the idea.

This will essentially funnel all the through traffic onto Withrow and Bain, which happens to have a public school right there.

I'm not sure if Fletcher has people reading this, but this sort of stuff really destroys accessibility, and talk about added traffic to a local public school.

I'm sure someone may try to bury it in some fine print... we'll see.

So a bunch of residents living on Victor/Langley (I'm guessing under 20) have decided to form a group that is trying to make Simpson/Langley/Victor 'maze' streets, so it can't be used at all by anyone trying to travel between Carlaw and Broadview. They will be trying to push and from the sounds of it, the Councillor may be open to the idea.

This will essentially funnel all the through traffic onto Withrow and Bain, which happens to have a public school right there.

I'm not sure if Fletcher has people reading this, but this sort of stuff really destroys accessibility, and talk about added traffic to a local public school.

how very selfish and would only further add to congestion in the city.

What typically happens is that Fletcher, with no real notice to anyone other than those who requested the change, makes a motion at community council, and the new traffic restrictions get approved before anyone in the larger community knows what has happened.

This sort of thing needs to be subject to a community consultation process.

Any traffic engineer will tell you that traffic is like water. If you plug a "pipe", the "water" will find the next available conduit in which to drain. Drivers don't necessarily follow the rational expectations of City officials, who naively expect the traffic to use nearby arterials, and typically just start using other side streets. The debacle with Belmont Street in Ward 27 is ample evidence.

I'm sympathetic to people who want slower traffic on their residential streets, but what they are suggesting effectively privatizes the streets.

That report sounds pretty reasonable... nothing about changing the direction of any streets to create an annex-style 'maze'.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't posting the letter on the basis that it had any discussion of creating a traffic maze. Merely that it had information about other traffic calming measures in the area. Completely different thoughts in different posts, but I guess I made them sound linked.

With respect to Simpson/Victor/Langley ...

We lived on Simpson, between Howland and Broadview, when Gerrard was a seriously busy Chinatown II. Parking was a nightmare on the weekends.

But I honestly can't say that the streets were overused. I would turn right on Victor, go to Howland and loop back on to Simpson to get home. Langley was never used and I recall it always having speed bumps. Seems to me that Riverdale bore the brunt of the west->east traffic. As for going the other way, Gerrard is such a dead zone now, it's hardly worth the bother of having to deal with the stop signs at Broadview.

So I see this push as ridiculous.

That said, something has to be done about the traffic on Carlaw at rush hours. It's getting nuts.

Contact Fletcher

:mad: :mad:
ALL of the homeowner, on all the adjacent streets. are strongly encouraged to contact Paula Fletcher ASAP, as this would greatly affect the homeowners and traffic on their streets.

Email: councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca

Telephone: 416-392-4060

Question. Why is Bain St so sought after? Seems like people flock to homes on this street and are willing to pay top $

Bain is a nice street in a nice area in central Toronto, so the houses presumably command top dollar. But I don't think of it as being one of the nicest streets in the area. The section west of Logan is dominated by the co-op and the school. The portion east of Logan is park-proximate, I suppose, and very pleasant.

Bain is a nice street in a nice area in central Toronto, so the houses presumably command top dollar. But I don't think of it as being one of the nicest streets in the area. The section west of Logan is dominated by the co-op and the school. The portion east of Logan is park-proximate, I suppose, and very pleasant.

I don't think it's one of the nicest streets. It jut seems to command top dollar. I have looked at houses in Riverdale and Bain has always been a popular street. Maybe it just sticks out more than the others.

Back