News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I tried the butter chicken at Joey's Eaton Centre yesterday and is was ok. Oddly served with both pappadum and naan... For now the service is good and the noise level at lunch is reasonable (not the hellish chaos on offer at nearby Trattoria Mercatto), but about $80 for two with 2 glasses of wine is excessive. Also the staff does not wear cut-off jeans, which is a big plus. Today, however, I made the mistake of going to Milestones across the street. Same price, but we were greeted by a drone and the strawberry shortcake (containing one strawberry cut up in dozens of minuscule pieces) was inedible. I would like more imaginative food in the area but it is probably too much to ask.

Touristy areas tend to not have imaginative food, just chain after chain :p

I know, it's depressing for the thousands who work there. The new food court in the Eaton Centre will probably be the same chains competing on price instead of quality and serving the same slop as before. But on real china! Yay.

I know, it's depressing for the thousands who work there. The new food court in the Eaton Centre will probably be the same chains competing on price instead of quality and serving the same slop as before. But on real china! Yay.

Actually, it sounds like there might be some good things going in: Big Smoke (née Craft) Burger, and a new location of Urban Herbivore (Fressen's Kensington Market outpost, purveyors of tasty vegetarian sandwiches). A couple other things sounded promising too, though my memory fails me right now what they were.

Actually, it sounds like there might be some good things going in: Big Smoke (née Craft) Burger, and a new location of Urban Herbivore (Fressen's Kensington Market outpost, purveyors of tasty vegetarian sandwiches). A couple other things sounded promising too, though my memory fails me right now what they were.

I know Aroma Espresso Bar is opening there as well

I tried the butter chicken at Joey's Eaton Centre yesterday and is was ok. Oddly served with both pappadum and naan... For now the service is good and the noise level at lunch is reasonable (not the hellish chaos on offer at nearby Trattoria Mercatto), but about $80 for two with 2 glasses of wine is excessive.

I checked out Joey's menu online and was surprised at the prices..their Butter Chicken was $17.49 which is more expensive than Amaya's ($17) and even their 12 oz New York Striploin steak is $31.49 which is more expensive than The Keg's ($29.95)

Are they worth it?

I checked out Joey's menu online and was surprised at the prices..their Butter Chicken was $17.49 which is more expensive than Amaya's ($17) and even their 12 oz New York Striploin steak is $31.49 which is more expensive than The Keg's ($29.95)

Are they worth it?

The butter chicken was ok, but I wouldn't compare it to what you can get in a good Indian restaurant. Yesterday I went for drinks after work; $12 Hendricks martinis, good gyozas, interesting lettuce wraps, though with iceberg. The prices are what you would expect in the area - everything is expensive, even the Senator. The place was absolutely packed, but they have lots of staff. All of them beautiful, of course!

A & W is opening south of Yonge and Adelaide next to Tim Horton's.

OMG! Exciting. Finally a better option than Burger King and McDonald's in the area. I can't remember if the Taco Bell/KFC Express is still there. Is that the spot? That's south of Richmond, not Adelaide.

Last edited:
OMG! Exciting. Finally a better option than Burger King and McDonald's in the area. I can't remember if the Taco Bell/KFC Express is still there. Is that the spot? That's south of Richmond, not Adelaide.

Nope, Taco Bell and KFC are gone. It certainly sounds like that spot--there is a Timmy's right beside it. But it is north of Adelaide.

Glad to have an A&W in the area.

I really hope it will be 24 hours. It's hard to find a Tim Horton's that is 24 hours downtown. Plus this location is just up the street from me! Woot!

The Tim Horton's in the new Regent Park is 24hr, which is perfect for this location. There's always people around the intersection now, it feels a lot safer.

Back