News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

There is a new poutine joint opened up at Bloor and Spadina. Not sure if it was posted already - but didn't see it in the last couple of pages.

They have all you can eat poutine on tuesdays. 296 Brunswick Avenue. They are from Montreal.

RIP The Coffee Mill ... apparently another victim of Yorkville rents.

I walked by today and it was still open. Is it closING soon? There is a huge portrait of the original owner....perhaps she recently passed?

A new coffee shop is going in the space on the north-east corner of King Edward Hotel:

View attachment 31606
This will be nothing to write home about.

Lavazza is one of the big Italian coffee monopolies found all over Europe. See also Illy, Segafredo, etc. Low quality beans shipped from very far away and sourced by unethical means.

Signing a contract with these megaroasters entitles cafe owners to a pretty decent free espresso machine (good espresso machines can cost as much as a fiat 500 -- no small investment).

This will be nothing to write home about.

Lavazza is one of the big Italian coffee monopolies found all over Europe. See also Illy, Segafredo, etc. Low quality beans shipped from very far away and sourced by unethical means.

Signing a contract with these megaroasters entitles cafe owners to a pretty decent free espresso machine (good espresso machines can cost as much as a fiat 500 -- no small investment).

Explains, I guess, why they were all over the place at the Rogers Cup.....I guess building some brand recognition here.

Does anyone know the story of "Tree Top African Cafe" on Dundas outside Kensington Market? It looks to have been abandoned for years. The earliest Google Streetview image from 2007 shows it in the same dilapidated state.

Someone on Chowhound says it's been cleaned up in the past few days and apparently someone is opening it as an African cafe! Can anyone who goes by there verify this? I wonder why it sat there like that for a decade? Was it ever in business in the past?

Looks like another Pizzeria Libretto is opening, on University at Pearl.

signs have been up for ages....seems to be taking longer and longer for restos to open!

While we are in that 'hood.....I finally ate at Los Colibris the other night (it is the Mexican place that moved into Barootes space at 220 King W (El Caballito is their Tequila bar that went in below in the old Quotes space). The food was excellent...service was a bit spotty (considering the place was no where near full) but it appeared they were just understaffed a bit - not expecting any trade early on a Tuesday night perhaps.

Kupfert & Kim is opening a new location in the Path level of the (present) Sunlife building.

Back