News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 571     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Residence for the Sisters of St. Joseph (2 O'Connor Dr, 4s, Shim-Sutcliffe) COMPLETE

Incredible attention to details. Every component is pin-pointed to perfection. Especially love the parts featuring a curved brick facade.

Wow, what a beautiful piece of architecture. This proves some firms in the city are able to move beyond linear lines the use of the same materials (and look) over and over again.

While I love this building and probably consider it the best building masterfully designed and constructed in this city in quite awhile, it's worth pointing out the cost. This modest four-storey building cost $40 million according to that Star article. It's simply not realistic to expect the same design and materials excellence in your typical residential building.

Xray:

Of course - what I am interested in knowing is how much of a premium there is when compared to a residential care facility of a similar scale

AoD

Well - this building cost $40million and is 96,000sf - which works out to apparently $415/sf (not sure if that is construction cost or project costs).

Construction costs are approximately 75% of project costs - so if the $40million is project cost - construction is $311/sf

This is quite the premium over what happens across the rest of Long Term Care properties in Ontario (2009 numbers) - you can escalate those numbers by roughly 4% per annum

2hgfzhh.jpg

Last edited:
I took a drive by today to take a look for myself and the pictures don't do it justice - just fantastic

kOT4HIy.jpg

diUMcrH.jpg

QPCQMEJ.jpg

G9qlcN8.jpg

I drive by this site pretty much every day. It is a great looking building. Are there solar panels on the roof or are those glass panels something else? You can't see them from the pictures above but are visible from Broadview.

Back