News   May 16, 2024
 579     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 801     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 594     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

Really? I bought a copy of that book years ago, and I remember feeling disappointed at the lack of detail on the original project. I'll have to take a look at it again.

Check out Mary Goddrham's A Building Goes Up. It's a compilation of her Globe and Mail columns about the construction of Simcoe Place. It has photos of the models and what not, and gives some detail of the original project, how it was scaled down, and then scaled down again.

Thanks for that AndreaPalladio!

I remember following her articles in the Globe. Completely forgot about the book.

Perhaps I can be of some assistance here.

At Doors Open, I arrived too late at the CBC Broadcast Centre to do much of anything. But one thing I did see was a model of the original site design. The photos were illustrative.

I believe the third, white tower was putative, as opposed to the semi-built Simcoe plans.

What jumped out at me were the plans for a large atrium-type jobbie extending from Simcoe Place I up to the north edge of the block. It seemed quite sizeable; it might have made a grand addition to the city, of the sort that PATH tunnels just don't.

Simcoe Place is one of the most attractive office developments in the city. It has such a distinctive shape... Lovely really

I wonder why they didn't use the old version for the RBC tower and instead went with a completely new design.

I can think of a few reasons...

#1. New construction technology
#2. Tenant needed more space than a 36 floor Tower would have provided
#3. Developer - Owner needed more space than a 36 floor tower would have provided
#4. A need to be different for both Tenants and the developer rather than building a clone of Simcoe place (however nice) would just seem kind of boring and stale especially when this would have been the first major office tower built in the city in 16 years. (excluding Simcoe Place-(1996) gasp!)

There's already a more impressive White Tower in Minas Tirith. This one would have paled in comparison.

Minas Tirith?

Didn't you watch Lord of The rings: Return of the King.

That film was quite popular in Canada...

Back