News   May 09, 2024
 87     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 385     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.7K     4 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Here we go again... https://bnnbreaking.com/world/canad...lasma-donations-igniting-public-health-debate

In a groundbreaking move, the Ontario government has signaled its acceptance of compensated blood plasma donations, a decision that paves the way for Spanish pharmaceutical giant Grifols to open its first plasma donation center in Whitby, Ontario. This initiative, set to expand across the province, challenges existing bans in Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia against paying donors. The collaboration between Grifols and Canadian Blood Services (CBS) introduces a model where donors receive compensation, stirring controversy over the potential implications for the country's voluntary blood donation framework.
And how much is the Ontario Tax payer on the hook for this latest for profit venture? Better yet, who owns this new venture?

Time for a U-Turn perhaps!

A judge or justice of the peace who bowed to political pressure “would be in clear breach of their oath of office,” three former chief justices of the Ontario Court of Justice said Wednesday, warning that the potential politicization of the provincial court “would diminish the court and its judiciary in the eyes of the public.”
The three former top jurists’ statement comes in the wake of Premier Doug Ford repeatedly declaring that he wants to appoint “like-minded” judges who will put even more people in jail.
“The suggestion that there be a political litmus test for judicial appointment would return the court to practices that we would have thought had disappeared years ago,” said former Chief Justices Sidney Linden, Brian Lennox and Annemarie Bonkalo in a statement sent to the Star Wednesday.

“We believe that the suggestion that judges and justices of the peace could be subject to political influence in the exercise of their duties represents a fundamental misrepresentation of our judicial system and is highly unfair to the outstanding women and men who make up the independent judiciary of the court,” the statement says.
“We also are concerned that such a suggestion, if not corrected, may discourage otherwise qualified candidates from applying for appointment.”

The former chief justices noted that at the time of its creation, the JAAC “was widely considered to be one of the best judicial appointments processes in North America.” They said that until recently the basic structure and function of the JAAC remained largely unchanged “and has been honoured by successive Liberal, NDP and Conservative governments.”

They said Wednesday that “the introduction of political affiliation in the appointment process would be a disservice to the public, would diminish the court and its judiciary in the eyes of the public, and would undermine public confidence in the impartiality of the court.”

Provincial budget will drop 2 weeks from Tuesday, on March 26th.

The article only gives us 2 things to count on, no tax increases, and a higher deficit.

I'm frankly getting fed up w/governments running deficits in non-recessionary times, especially when a great deal of that owes to tax cuts or de facto tax cuts (license plate fees).

Deliver the services we need, done well, pay for 'em in real time, please and thank you.

The article only gives us 2 things to count on, no tax increases, and a higher deficit.

I'm frankly getting fed up w/governments running deficits in non-recessionary times, especially when a great deal of that owes to tax cuts or de facto tax cuts (license plate fees).

Deliver the services we need, done well, pay for 'em in real time, please and thank you.

NL I could not agree with you anymore.

Just because tax cuts look good on paper, the money has to come from somewhere. You cannot pay for things with party ideology and press releases.

This is why HST is a bad idea. With PST and GST being separate you could at least raise one over the other to pay for things.

I hate to say it but tax cuts and high deficits are how conservatives work.

NL I could not agree with you anymore.

Just because tax cuts look good on paper, the money has to come from somewhere. You cannot pay for things with party ideology and press releases.

This is why HST is a bad idea. With PST and GST being separate you could at least raise one over the other to pay for things.

A province is free to change its PST rate (provincial portion of HST) and/or what it applies to.

Ford with 10 point lead over Liberals:

The only poll that matters is the one on election day.

That being said, you can survey 100 people but if 99 of them are PC supports they will have a 99% approval rate. Surveys are done at random but it all depends on who you call.

Ford with 10 point lead over Liberals:

@evandyk is on point in noting that its more than 2 years to the next provincial election, unless the PCs decide otherwise.

However, to the extent we give any credence to the numbers as this poll reports them, we might also look at these numbers shown in the same story:

1710187026985.png

Ford with the 3rd lowest approval rating in the country, 29 points behind the most popular Premier, and 19 points behind the most popular conservative Premier.

That would suggest that PC numbers are pretty soft at this stage.

Last edited:

I agree, and as I have grumbled about this before, why not now as well. Ontarios Net Debt position kindly summarized by Wikipedia:

The Ontario government debt consists of the liabilities of the Government of Ontario. Approximately 82% of Ontario's debt is in the form of debt securities (bonds, Treasury bills), while other liabilities include government employee pension plan obligations, loans, and accounts payable.[5] The Ontario Financing Authority, which manages the provinces' debt, says that as of March 31, 2020 (for the 2019-20 fiscal year), the Ontario government's net debt is CDN $353.3 billion.[3] Net debt is projected to rise to $398 billion in 2020-21. The Debt-to-GDP ratio for 2019-2020 was 39.7%, and is projected to rise to 47.1% in 2020-21.[6] Interest on the debt in 2019-20 was CDN$12.5 billion, representing 8.0% of Ontario's revenue and its fourth-largest spending area.[3] [7]

Debt breakdown​

As of March 31, 2018 the breakdown of Ontario's debt is as follows:[8]

• Canadian Dollar Public Bonds: $259.4B (74%)
  • Foreign Currency Bonds: $56.4B (16%)
  • Canadian Dollar Treasury Bills: $18.9B (5%)
  • Canadian Dollar Non-Public Debt: $11.4B (3%)
  • US Dollar Commercial Paper: $2.6B (1%)
The majority of the debt (83.1%) was issued in Canadian currency

Updates on the net debt position would see it exceeding 400 billion this year.

Having a look through the ‘Public Accounts of Ontario’ report for 2022-23 is an interesting review of where the $ come from and where they go. See https://files.ontario.ca/tbs-2022-2...idated-financial-statements-en-2023-09-25.pdf

Absolutely nothing stops either the province or the federal government from changing the HST rate.

@evandyk is on point in noting that its more than 2 years to the next provincial election, unless the PCs decide otherwise.

However, to the extent we give any credence to the numbers as this poll reports them, we might also look at these numbers shown in the same story:

View attachment 547412

Ford with the 3rd lowest approval rating in the country, 29 points behind the most popular Premier, and 19 points behind the most popular conservative Premier.

That would suggest that PC numbers are pretty soft at this stage.
Who is asked to respond to these polls ? I'm 76 and and have never been asked.

Back