News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 918     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I'll admit that I may be an outlier here, but as someone with the immense privilege of owning an SFH in a PMTSA, I would be more than happy to see a few 6- to 8-storey apartments plopped up and down my street.

I think its safe to say you are an outlier.

Tories fearmongering on density provincially while their federal counterparts are promising to hold cities to a standard of increasing housing by 15% per year is an interesting development.

Weird that Ford has learned nothing from Trudeau's political fortunes with housing.

Tories fearmongering on density provincially while their federal counterparts are promising to hold cities to a standard of increasing housing by 15% per year is an interesting development.

Weird that Ford has learned nothing from Trudeau's political fortunes with housing.
To me, this reads more like Ford waffling on density. Many of Ford's actions are extremely pro-housing (or pro-developer, depending on who you ask) - MZOs, expansion of urban boundaries and the Greenbelt (which was rolled back, typical Ford), elimination of SFH zoning, and extra cash attached to (some) cities meeting their housing targets. I'm sure there are others I'm missing. Now, he's scared of potential backlash from NIMBY/asset-cow-owning voters.

And of course, continuing to underfund universities, kickstarting much of this process in the first place.

Last edited:
The Ford Government has released their 2024 Budget.

Some light 221 page reading:

I'm about 1/2 way through, I'm sufficiently underwhelmed that I haven't yet felt the need to stop and post any 'highlights'

Ok, Let's have a look at the budget.

I won't really spend time commenting on:

The deficit (up, and balance deferred 2 years)

Endless repetition of things that were previously announced/under construction or rarely move forward meaningfully (Ring of Fire).

I will also omit discussion of routine inflationary increases in program budgets.

I will note things that are changes from the previous years budget, beyond inflation, that may make a material difference.

On Long Term Care...........a long stated priority of the government to build lots more, badly needed beds, everywhere.

Realty to date: No projects in Toronto have moved forward, as the governments financing offer has proved insufficient to cover construction costs here. So announced projects from Sinai/Bridgepoint, to Providence to George Street have languished.

Change:

1711487693193.png

Good, as far as it goes, but will it be enough?

Lets review how many LTCs completed in the past year in all of Ontario:

1711487765456.png

Yup, you got it.............2 in the entire province. Wow! Hopefully the extra money will be enough. There is also an unspecified boost the daily per diem so I'm unclear about whether that will help or not.

On camping in provincial parks, there are some modest investments:

300 net new sites province wide, at existing parks.

800 existing sites to get electricity:

1711488021659.png

While this is good, so far as it goes, I would estimate the un-filled demand in south-central Ontario in the 3,000 site range.

When considering 'Big Wind' Provincial Park (previously announced) as adding 250 sites, near Bracebridge, when it opens in 2026; that will leave a shortfall in the range of 2,500 sites, at the low end.

Revenue projections of note.

Virtually every gov't agency that returns money to the bottom line is expected to contribute less this year than last:

1711488570971.png

Last 2 columns on the right at 2023--2024, and 2024-2025.

Also of note, a projected decline in sales tax revenue of 1B this fiscal year. Given the level of population growth that is terrible. It suggests a substantial drop in per capita taxable expenditures. A ~2.5% revenue decline, when population growth is at or above 2.5% is eye popping.

Revenue projections of note.

Virtually every gov't agency that returns money to the bottom line is expected to contribute less this year than last:

View attachment 551408

Last 2 columns on the right at 2023--2024, and 2024-2025.

Also of note, a projected decline in sales tax revenue of 1B this fiscal year. Given the level of population growth that is terrible. It suggests a substantial drop in per capita taxable expenditures. A ~2.5% revenue decline, when population growth is at or above 2.5% is eye popping.
Sandbagging revenue? It isn't really credible.

On camping in provincial parks, there are some modest investments:

300 net new sites province wide, at existing parks.

800 existing sites to get electricity:

View attachment 551406

While this is good, so far as it goes, I would estimate the un-filled demand in south-central Ontario in the 3,000 site range.

When considering 'Big Wind' Provincial Park (previously announced) as adding 250 sites, near Bracebridge, when it opens in 2026; that will leave a shortfall in the range of 2,500 sites, at the low end.
Doesn't electrification...defeat the purpose of camping?

Doesn't electrification...defeat the purpose of camping?

I''m not big on it myself; I prefer walk-in or extra private sites. I don't want to feel like I'm in a parking lot when camping.

That said, I expect the increasing prevalence of electric and hybrid-electric cars is a factor in the need for more electrified sites, along w/those who just want to Glamp (Glorified Camping}

In fairness, while I've never gotten an electric site, I do typically bring a cooler, a range of condiments and spices, and equipment that will support most (not all) eventualities and activities.

I really like going and just hiking, canoeing, kayaking etc........except I can't give up my love of eating well at dinner...... I mean if you can't have a good glass of Amarone or an exquisite cocktail to pair w/your grilled pork chop w/seasonal greens, heirloom tomato, thinly sliced shallot and white balsamic and dijon vinaigrette, you've surely given up on living.

Also....I do like being ready for assorted weather, bringing bear spray, and ........

Ok, I've been known to electricity-free glamp............... so its tough for me to truly call out others.

When I was 20............I might have slept leaning against a rock next to the lake..............but that was 3 decades ago............not so much now. LOL

Last edited:
I''m not big on it myself; I prefer walk-in or extra private sites. I won't want to feel like I'm in a parking lot when camping.

That said, I expect the increasing prevalence of electric and hybrid-electric cars is a factor in the need for more electrified sites, along w/those who just want to Glamp (Glorified Camping}

In fairness, while I've never gotten an electric site, I do typically bring a cooler, a range of condiments and spices, and equipment that will support most (not all) eventualities and activities.

I really like going and just hiking, canoeing, kayaking etc........except I can't give up my love of eating well at dinner...... I mean if you can't have a good glass of Amarone or an exquisite cocktail to pair w/your grilled pork chop w/seasonal greens, heirloom tomato, thinly sliced shallot and white balsamic and dijon vinaigrette, you've surely given up on living.

Also....I do like being ready for assorted weather, bringing bear spray, and ........

Ok, I've been known to electricity-free glamp............... so its tough for me to truly call out others.

When I was 20............I might have slept leaning against a rock next to the lake..............but that was 3 decades ago............not so much now. LOL
Don't worry, I totally get you - I absolutely despise camping.

I''m not big on it myself; I prefer walk-in or extra private sites. I won't want to feel like I'm in a parking lot when camping.

From a green perspective, being able to bring a kettle (for hot water) and an induction cooktop is a lot more sustainable than using propane.

Back