News   Apr 25, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Political Landscape of Toronto (including Ward Boundary Review)

I hope that new ward in the beaches gets named "Scarborough-Beaches" out of spite for the residents whining about sharing a ward with Scarborough

Under the 44 ward option, that's what would happen. Which is why they support staff recommendations. Still, shame on them.

"This divisive attitude does not help us build one city and this is not the sentiment of most of my beachers," - Councillor McMahon.

It will be interested to see how this plays out at the full Council. Won't necessarily be completely the usual downtown/suburban divide, since some Councillors will be voting strictly out of self-interest. The Exec Cttee is dominated by the suburban Councillors, yet the 47-ward option still prevailed.

It will be interested to see how this plays out at the full Council. Won't necessarily be completely the usual downtown/suburban divide, since some Councillors will be voting strictly out of self-interest. The Exec Cttee is dominated by the suburban Councillors, yet the 47-ward option still prevailed.

Expect the we don't need more politicians rant to ramp up.

AoD

44 wards - fails 6-7. Supported by Holland, DMW, Tory, Palactio, Robinson, Thompson.

26 wards - fails 10-3. Supported by Crawford, Palacio, Robinson.

47 Wards - carries 7-6. Supported by Ainslie, Bailao, Holland, Di Giorgio, McMahon, Pasternak and Shiner. Tory opposed.

Wow, quite the fumble for Tory to have his hand picked Executive vote against him.

While I'm sure we'll hear cries from the usual nutbars (JK, Mamo) of "What about the suburbs?!?," the fact that the suburban wards remain relatively untouched works well for incumbents who rarely lose.

WATCHDOG: East York could disappear with proposed ward boundary changes
East York Mirror

I meant to post this when I first saw, but forgot. Hilarious headline. Yes, East York will be wiped out. Presumably it will revert to virgin soil.

(Although to be honest, the proposed ward RW34 under the 47-ward proposal, which joins together Rosedale, the west Danforth and a good chunk of Old East York, is a bit of a dog's breakfast).

I have to give a shoutout to my councillor, whom I'm usually not a fan of, for doing the right thing rather than voting strictly out of self-interest. The result would have been completely different without his vote.

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags
Pasternak is moving the 47-ward option, while admitting the 44-ward option would basically erase his Ward 10. Says if they trust consultants did thorough job w/ better government in mind then council must adopt their 47-ward recommendation.​

Back