News   Apr 24, 2024
 968     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Political Landscape of Toronto (including Ward Boundary Review)

Is there any chance this Ward rejigging will dislodge some of the cradle-to-grave members of council?

The three wards represented by Palacio, Bailao and Perks will be collapsed into two. Palacio voted against the 47-ward scheme, probably sensing that he is the one who will be squeezed out.

Can someone elaborate on this. It was my understanding that City Staff said that it was unlikely they'd be able to implement the new boundaries before 2018. Does this make it more likely for them to be implemented in 2018?
I believe staff initially said it would be impossible, but then backed off somewhat and said it would merely be difficult. If the OMB is able to accelerate their hearings of any appeals, that would increase the likelihood of being able to ratify the boundaries by December 31, 2017 (IIRC), in time for the 2018 election.

Excellent news. Though now I am in Robinson's district. A district where the vast majority of the ward has nothing in common with my little pocket.

Terrific news. I really hope to see three new progressive voices downtown to shake up the balance of power.

Two potential candidates that come to mind: Chris Moise, the new TDSB trustee in Toronto-Centre (TDSB is often a springboard for city politics), and Terry Chu, who came a far second to Joe Cressy in 2014, who was endorsed by local Grits.

So, subject to OMB approval, I now live in the totally common sense ward of Rosedale-Danforth-East York.

There was bound to be or two oddly configured wards, and that one is the top of the list. I expect Fragedakis to keep the ward, especially considering the low density of Rosedale.

Last edited:
[...]There was bound to be or two oddly configured wards, and that one is the top of the list. I expect Fragedakis to keep the ward - keep in mind the low density of Rosedale.

Agreed. If there are to be odd configurations, best that odd pairings be created than neighbourhoods/communities of interest be arbitrarily divided.

Overall, this is a good map I think.

Among the downtown councillors, I expect Cressy to run in ward 24 (Annex and Kensington). KWT I think will pick Ward 23 (part of Church-Wellesley plus Cabbagetown) but she could opt for ward 25 as well, since the heart of her constituency, Church-Wellesley is split in half (that almost happened in the first round of federal riding redistribution as well, but it ultimately was put in one riding). Pam McConnell if she runs again will go to ward 25 (Regent Park/St. Lawrence).

So basically there are 3 new "condo" ridings - a Yorkville-centric Ward 25, a rather mixed Ward 22 and Ward 20 centered around the Entertainment District. They're all probably best suited for big-"L" Liberal types.

I could see someone in the Andrew Cash mould, if not the man himself, making a play for one of the three wards. For a former MP, he has been keeping his name in the news.

Councillor Di Ciano's appeal to the OMB would see the city forced to expend legal resources defending itself against one of its own councillors, and jeopardize the plan to have new boundaries in place for the 2018 election.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...peal-board-over-ward-boundaries-decision.html
Though I think it is bizarre to have a Councillor appeal a City Council decision to the OMB (particularly when it had a very sizable majority and he did not vote on even one of the 9 Council motions on it!) I doubt that his will be the only OMB objection but I suspect they will move it along speedily and doubt it will mean the old Wards applying for 2018. ("Taxpayers' money" - indeed!)

Back