News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 946     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Remember Brian Mulroney's GST Tax. It costed the conservatives their government. The carbon tax will cost the Liberals their government.

Are the

Nobody care about the clean investment tax credits? Are you kidding me? Are you serious? The inflation reductions act already created more then 50 billion dollars in investments in the US. It is sucking investment away from Canada, and that is hurting our productivity and quality of life.
Canadian clean tech firms are moving south of the border at records numbers because of the IRA. Remember this is a trillion dollar industry.
You wonder why the US economy is booming, while the Canadian economy is shit? It's because the US has the IRA.

You can scream all you want. But like I said earlier, the average person neither understands nor cares about tax credits.

Also, your economic ignorance is really showing. The reason the American economy is booming isn't really the IRA. It's the large deficits they are running.

Remember Brian Mulroney's GST Tax. It costed the conservatives their government. The carbon tax will cost the Liberals their government.
Unlike the GST, the carbon tax is unlikely to endure. I wish it would. But the argument on this has been lost.

I think Justin Trudeau is going to step down by the end of the year. He has too. It is going to be because of the carbon tax. It is HUGELY unpopular. It also increases every year.
Canadians are not going to accept paying over $2/L for gas regardless of the rebates. What is next $3/L? They need to pause the increases or strap on policy. They will lose the election if they don't.
The current $65 per tonne carbon tax adds 14 cents per liter of gasoline. It is scheduled to rise to 170 per tonne in 2030, which would be 37 cents per liter, so a 23 cent per liter increase over today.

I wonder if the provincial Tories on Ontario will remove the current subsidy (they have suspended the provincial gas tax until end of year) to time close to the election and then blame increase on the carbon tax to out the pressure on the feds.

It may just be a strategy that works... I'd bet the average Joe forgets that we've not had any provincial tax on gas in the past few years and the carbon pricing makes for an easy target.

Did they order steak and caviar on the room service menu?

We know from the piece that the cost was an average of $208 per person, per day. If you're in hotels, in the Falls, that price is entirely believable, it covers both the off and on-season over the year in question, one would expect a lower winter rate, but off-setting peak-season revenue will come at a pretty penny as it were.

There were, according to the article, 5,000 asylum seekers, each staying an average of 113 days.

That's 565,000 bed nights; or an average of 1,548 on any given night.

$20,000 per person for a typical stay of nearly 4 months in a hotel is a believable number sans caviar and champagne.

Now, it may be a fair question of whether we want to keep asylum seekers in hotels, in tourist season, in tourist hot spots.............

But there is the problem of asking, amidst a housing crisis, exactly where else they would go?

Reactions: DSC

Putting aside the $3,000 per person flight you just put each asylum seeker on...........are you under the impression there is a vast surplus of hotel rooms or apartments in Iqaluit? I can confidently tell you there is not.

PS, food up there is more the double the cost per person it is down here.

Trudeau challenges premiers opposed to carbon tax hike to suggest alternatives to federal levy​

Several premiers have been calling on Ottawa to halt a planned increase to the federal carbon tax​

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is calling on premiers opposed to increasing the carbon tax to propose credible alternatives to the federal measure.

On Tuesday, Trudeau wrote to seven premiers who have been calling on Ottawa to pause an imminent hike to the federal levy or scrap the program altogether.

In his letter, the prime minister suggested that the governments of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador haven't put forward suitable replacements to the federal backstop.

"When we last engaged with provinces and territories on this in 2022, all of your governments either did not propose alternative systems or … proposed systems that did not meet the minimum standard for emissions reductions," the letter reads

The Government is feeling the carbon tax pressure.

The problem with the carbon tax is that it was designed for a world that doesn't exist. I think the Liberals thought everyone would start buying electric cars...that hasn't happened.
I look outside and the majority of people drive gas vehicles, I may see the odd Tesla...you see where I am going.
Canadians only see the gas prices going up, that don't see the rebates. It is not going to change behavior because we don't have the demand or infrastructure the support the vast use of electric vehicles.

It I was the Federal government I was mandate all gas stations have electric vehicle charging stations.

The carbon tax is going to stink the Liberals. Only 11% of Canadians support the carbon tax.

It I was the Federal government I was mandate all gas stations have electric vehicle charging stations.

Which would be evidence that you don't understand how people use EVs. The best places to charge are home or work. Or places where somebody might spend about 20-30 mins doing something else. That's why grocery stores are becoming popular locations for chargers in Europe. Everybody has to buy groceries. And they usually spend 20-30 mins getting groceries for the week.

The problem with the carbon tax is that it was designed for a world that doesn't exist. I think the Liberals thought everyone would start buying electric cars...that hasn't happened.
I look outside and the majority of people drive gas vehicles, I may see the odd Tesla...you see where I am going.

Nobody ditches their car for 13¢ in gas taxes. I don't think think the Liberals are dumb enough to assume that.

Also no idea where you get your information but EV sales have been going every year. We were at 11-12% nationally for 2023. The cost of the vehicles and charging infrastructure are the biggest problems and the Liberals haven't done much to tackle those problems.

2023-Q1-ZEV-Canadian-Market-Penetration-1024x657.jpg

Canadians only see the gas prices going up, that don't see the rebates. It is not going to change behavior because we don't have the demand or infrastructure the support the vast use of electric vehicles.

The carbon tax is going to stink the Liberals. Only 11% of Canadians support the carbon tax.
EV marketshare is up to 10% of new car sales. It's happening. I don't think anyone thought it would be overnight transition.

Back