News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Photo Of The Day

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the shipyard is actually WEST of the silos, is it not?

The silos in that photo is the old Victory Soy Mills silos. They were torn down in the 80's.

Photo Of The Day: HEAT WAVE!!!
Photo by androiduk
July 8, 2010

Telephoto lens picking up extreme heat rising from the ground and turning this street scene into an impressionist painting.

potd-kingheat-androiduk.jpg

The silos in that photo is the old Victory Soy Mills silos. They were torn down in the 80's.

Ah yes, as part of the feds' Harboufront saga. The perspective confused me a little. Taking another look at this 1959 picture I have on file jogged my memory.

1959aerialviewoftheharbourandCWFcop.jpg

Photo Of The Day: HEAT WAVE!!!
Photo by androiduk
July 8, 2010

Telephoto lens picking up extreme heat rising from the ground and turning this street scene into an impressionist painting.

potd-kingheat-androiduk.jpg

E7: Seeing this pic and dealing with the current heat wave here in the Northeastern USA I am thinking of song lyrics from The Lovin' Spoonful's 1967 song "Summer in the City"
"All around people looking like their half-dead walking on the sidewalk hotter then a matchhead...but at night's it's a different world..."

GM: That 1959 airview of central Toronto is excellent...too bad it was not larger to look at detail!

LI MIKE

Photo Of The Day: First Canadian Place Re-Cladding Lights Up The Sky
Photo by nicetommy
July 9, 2010

The First Canadian Place re-cladding lights up the sky. Glass is replacing stone that had a tendency to break off and fall to the ground. That's the practical reason for this. The fantasy one is the Borg are finally taking over.

potd-FCPnight-nicetommy.jpg

Photo Of The Day: King West Looking Towards M5V Condo Under Construction
Photo by caltrane74
July 13, 2010

Standing on King Street West looking towards M5V Condo under construction with the big downtown towers behind it.

potd-kingwest-caltrane74.jpg

Photo Of The Day: The Night Time Skyline From Montage Condo
Photo by Mo-tage
July 14, 2010

The night time view of downtown as seen from Montage Condo. Forum member Mo-tage sure has a sweet view of the city.

potd-montagesky-Mo-tage.jpg

Sorry, I don't recall, Jordan. I found that image many years ago.
It's definately Toronto - you can see the old Maple Leaf Stadium and Tip Top Tailors in the background.
My father build those ships during the war and I saw a few of the launchings.

Last edited:
Photo Of The Day: The Bloor Street West Reconstruction Blues
Photo by androiduk
July 16, 2010

Bloor Street West reconstruction blues. For shop owners, the summer of their discontent.
potd-bloorstone-androiduk.jpg

It's definately Toronto - you can see the old Maple Leaf Stadium and Tip Top Tailors in the background.

"The seventh Myrmidon was a minesweeper launched in 1944 and broken up 1958."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Myrmidon

I'm reminded (by Mustapha's note) that 56 similar minesweepers were built here during the war.

Attachments

• ship launching Toronto WWII.jpg
    ship launching Toronto WWII.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 371
Photo Of The Day: Toronto Skyline From The Island Ferry
Photo by Ed007Toronto
July 19, 2010

The Toronto skyline as taken from the Island Ferry. Every year the skyline slowly bulks up. Next year we should be able to see Shangri-La start to dominate the area between the Ritz-Carlton and the core.

FerrySkyline20100717.jpg

Back