News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Peterborough Area and Highway 7 Corridor studies

The congestion on the stretch of 7 immediately after the 407 is ridiculous sometimes. I travel it a lot and it can be stop and go for a good half hour before all the 407 traffic finally disapates. I can't wait until the 407 is extended to the 115. It's really needed.

The congestion on the stretch of 7 immediately after the 407 is ridiculous sometimes. I travel it a lot and it can be stop and go for a good half hour before all the 407 traffic finally disapates. I can't wait until the 407 is extended to the 115. It's really needed.

Good news for you (although the construction will be a pain): Highway 7 is going to be widened soon to 4/5 lanes from Brock Rd to 12 in Brooklin (Dufferin got the contract for $59.2 million, completion Fall 2012)
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?9712-Highway-407-East-(Durham-Region)&p=423351#post423351

Last edited:
407 to 115 is badly needed. 401 is horribly jammed from 115 to Pickering/Ajax, especially on long weekends. We need more expressways or at least divided highways without traffic lights. It just takes way too long to get around this monstrous region. We need to build trains and transit also, but for intercity travel the car will always be king here until a massive shift occurs in how people live and how cities are built here. That's why I suggested 407 to Ottawa. It would certainly help to ease traffic on the 401. On my last 3 trips to Montreal many times I got stuck in traffic jam on 401 in the middle of nowhere, just west of Kingston. 401 widening is not happening at all. Either they widen it to 8 lanes to Montreal or built an alternate like 407/417 to Ottawa. 20 years ago thus was called having vision, now it's called waste. Go figure.

The 4 laning of highway 69 from Parry Sound to Sudbury is underway. The parts that are completed are very impressive. This should use this as an example for connected other semi large cities throughout the province.

MTO should at least designate/protect a corridor for the future... already Perth and Carleton Place have development plans for areas near potential bypass routes.
That would make sense.

This certainly would become the preferred route to Ottawa if it was an expressway. If you look in Google Maps from the 401/35 interchange to the 416/417 interchange it's 358 km (and 4h 00m) on 401 but only 311 km (but 4h 19m) on 35/115/7/417; an expressway would drop the travel time to Ottawa by 47 km and a bit over half-an-hour compared to the 401/416 (and 50 minutes) compared to the current travel on the route.

From 404/407 to 416/417 (assuming the 407 is extended as to 115) the distance would drop from the current 428 km (4h 46m) on 404/401/416 to about 361 km, saving 67 km (about 45 minutes).

And even the environmentalists should be happy ... with shorter driving distances, think of the fuel and carbon savings :)

Sigh, HERE WE GO AGAIN....................:mad:

I say this not only as a licensed and car-owning driver, but as someone who has driven this stretch of #7 many times over the years, as recently as last fall.

Enough with the never ending MTO program of highway widening and new highways.

Not needed.

At best, a frivolous use of taxpayer dollars producing little or no benefit.

At worst, one more act of planning, fiscal and environmental negligence.

I have never experienced a traffic jam on the Peterborough area #7, except when a bridge is blocked for reconstruction. Which in no way bears on the general width of the road.

Right now this is a scenic drive, mostly though moderately developed rural land, mixing a few small towns and villages, the odd agricultural use, some cottage properties and conservation a crown lands.

That's as it should stay!

Building a 4-lane highway leads to more sprawl, more inefficient land use, more very expensive freeway lanes to maintain, at least moderately adverse environmental impact and a far less pleasant drive.

Ultimately it just leads to a six-lane highway, then an 8-lane and on and on and on.

First, we need to acknowledge there is no meaningful traffic problem on 7, east of Peterborough.

And the traffic on 35/115 and the more westerly portions of #7 is almost entirly limited to Friday Afternoon/early evenings and Sunday Afternoons for the warm 1/2 of the year.

This is a cottage and camping driven issue, which provides adverse driving conditions (barely) for a whopping 5% of the time.

When we acknowledge that, it becomes apparent, that more lane km of freeway is not the answer.

What we do need in this area, is to look at how we can alleviate some congestion.

There are several answers.

1) spread out demand.

This can be done by adding a 1-2 more holiday weekends each year (Sask and Nunavet Already have 10, as does the U.S.), ON has 9.

This can reduce some camping or resort related traffic by spreading out demand.

Also do-able is simply promoting alt. office hours (still 40 a week) but more offices that offer employees a choice of early Fridays (in an hour early, out 1-2 hours early).........not uncommon now, but mixing that with the same for Monday mornings.

The result would spread out the peak-demand period on weekends, thus reducing congestion.

2) Move non-passenger goods off-road in the corridor. Revive the old CP line from Havelock to Smith's Falls and rebuild the Havelock to Toronto portion, for freight purposes alone. Never mind the fictional numbers for restoring passenger service on this route which allocated not only 100% of capital to the passenger side, and accounted for all the rolling stock etc, but which also featured a contingency bordering on fraud at 25% ++

Simply ungrading and reinstalling track for freight, involves no stations, no rolling stock (that's CPs problem) and no operating cost. It could be done for the same cost as the proposed highway widening at much lower on-going financial cost to the tax payer.

3) Consider, the passenger rail question I looked at above, but cost the track to the freight plan (proportionately) for which it is primarily intended; then instead of contemplating a commuter service, looking at the train as an excursion service taking you close to many parks and cottages, and featuring car-rental and park shuttle buses at relevant stations. Two Friday trains (and the same back on Sunday) could easily remove 500 people and 200+ cars from the road per trip or 1,000 and 400 respectively.

That's sane and sensible.

We need to build trains and transit also, but for intercity travel the car will always be king here until a massive shift occurs in how people live and how cities are built here.
Not necessarily. The way we build our cities is shifting even without much investment in rail. And high speed rail would cause a massive shift in how people travel between cities, even if we weren't changing how we build our cities at all. Even the VIA Fast proposal would have changed how people travel significantly. And it would have reduced travel times to Ottawa to quite a bit faster than if the 407 were extended all the way. People take the mode that's fast and convenient. Right now that's driving, but it doesn't have to be.

I have never experienced a traffic jam on the Peterborough area #7
I have. Not only on Highway 7 either, on long weekends Highway 28 is stop and go halfway to Lakefield. What MTO really needs to do is find a middle ground between a 2 lane highway and a full 400 series freeway. We need more right-in-right-out expressways with intersections (like the 4 lane highways in the Prairies) or 2+1 highways (like that road in Sweden or the highway to Whistler) or just to reduce the ridiculous widths of our rights of way. We also need better land use controls so that widened highways don't lead to mindless sprawl. We can learn from the Europeans, who have built a dense network of highways without the sprawl.

Save the big megaprojects for rail. Roads like Highway 7, Hwy 10 to Owen Sound, and Hwy 17 across the north can still be widened on the cheap.

I have. Not only on Highway 7 either, on long weekends Highway 28 is stop and go halfway to Lakefield. What MTO really needs to do is find a middle ground between a 2 lane highway and a full 400 series freeway. We need more right-in-right-out expressways with intersections (like the 4 lane highways in the Prairies) or 2+1 highways (like that road in Sweden or the highway to Whistler) or just to reduce the ridiculous widths of our rights of way. We also need better land use controls so that widened highways don't lead to mindless sprawl. We can learn from the Europeans, who have built a dense network of highways without the sprawl.

Save the big megaprojects for rail. Roads like Highway 7, Hwy 10 to Owen Sound, and Hwy 17 across the north can still be widened on the cheap.

Very true... the new Highway 7 near Carleton place has a 100m ROW... between Jinkinson and Hazeldean the corridor is 135-160 metres wide including the service roads...

Here's a video I took of Highway 7 earlier this summer at 4x speed (warning - shakycam). Four lane section starts at 1:50.
[video=youtube;w5xWl-FTGZA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xWl-FTGZA[/video]

Extend the 407 to Ottawa....

That would win the award for the most insane transportation idea in Ontario! That road would not be well traveled at all.

Yes it would. It would take pressure off the 401. Drivers would have a freeway all the way to Montreal as they could continue on the 417 once they reach Ottawa. Great for truckers.

Yes it would. It would take pressure off the 401. Drivers would have a freeway all the way to Montreal as they could continue on the 417 once they reach Ottawa. Great for truckers.
I'd think it would have a load similiar to the existing 416.

Though it might make the 416 pretty empty!

I'd think it would have a load similiar to the existing 416.

Though it might make the 416 pretty empty!

True, but remember the 407 would be tolled as it is right now. I can't ever see a 4 lane freeway going past Peterbourgh though... there just isn't enough traffic to warrant construction.

High speed rail to the O-dot is the way to go. Perhaps a spur line from the (proposed) Toronto-Montreal route would connect Ottawa with these two cities.

I can see Highway 401 having 6 lanes+ from Highway 402 all the way to 416. Traffic on it is just insane. It is North America's busiest highway after all. It doesn't help when the only alternative / parallel freeway is heavily tolled and only runs a portion of it's length.

Nor does the rail network help. Although VIA is much better than Amtrack, we're still way behind the rail systems of other developed countries. Getting central Canada connected is a must through not just one network, but a hybrid of freeways, freight rail, commuter rail and high speed rail. This would also relieve pressure on airports.

Last edited:
True, but remember the 407 would be tolled as it is right now.
True, but the 115 isn't tolled, and a hypothetical 407 would go along the existing 115 to Peterborough. So whether it would be tolled beyond Clarington is debatable.

High speed rail to the O-dot is the way to go. Perhaps a spur line from the (proposed) Toronto-Montreal route would connect Ottawa with these two cities.
Actually every Toronto-Montreal high speed rail proposal has the mainline going through Ottawa. It doesn't add much distance.

I think it makes a lot of sense to extend the 407 to the 35/115, then re-number the 115 the 407 along it's expressway portion and then just widen Highway 7 slowly upgrading it to the 407 toward Ottawa.

Speaking as someone who drives to Toronto around every 2nd weekend, and drives 7 to Toronto and the 401/416 back (or vice versa), having more sections of 7 twinned, or at least more passing lanes, would definitely be beneficial. I agree that having it twinned the whole way would be overkill, but certainly between Carleton Place and Perth, and between Peterborough and Havelock-ish.

Highway 7 is also the main bus route between Ottawa and Toronto, so twinning it would make Greyhound more attractive as well. I actually drove to Perth on Friday, and the twinning between Upper Dwyer Hill Rd and Carleton Place is coming along nicely. The three remaining interchanges are at different stages of completion, but coming along none the less.

One thing I think they could do short-term to help relieve the 401 is to raise the speed limit on 7 from 80 to 90. If you get stuck behind someone actually going the speed limit, it can make the drive pretty painful.

Back