News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 368     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 941     1 

Parking - Catch All

Not sure that's the tweet you're meaning to embed 😆

Nope, don't think I was meaning to put a tweet there at all; I normally post the report link in such posts.

I'm putting that in there now. Thanks.

We all make mistakes, I pride myself on not making many; my excuse is that I've been under the weather the last few days, normally I can keep better track of the 15 tabs I have open......... but been a bit groggy. LOL

I am hearing whispers from inside the City that the parking management strategy (ie. less parking, more bike lanes, patios and wider sidewalks is not going well}

I am given to understand those leading this strategy are very pro-parking and will end up proposing something as modest as possible.

This is supported by more than one source inside City Hall.

So UT......I'm asking you................raise a little hell.

With the mayor, your councillor, or others indicating your concern over possible bias towards the status quo.

Raise the potential setback to climate goals, public health goals, support for small business (patios) and tourism.

Lets rock this boat.

Last edited:
Its discussing this strategy:

Which goes to public consultation quite soon.

In theory, it will examine:

City-wide and/or expanded use of permit parking
Permit parking rates
Reduced on-street parking on major streets in favour of cycle tracks and CafeTO

In reality its being led by some pretty pro-parking people and if we don't collectively intervene, it may result in as few as 500 spaces removed and increases in price that underhwhelm.

I recently discussed that, in this thread:

Moving my response to the more active thread, stemming from the story below.

It seems rather incredible that the city, while crying about a lack of revenue to senior levels of government, would consider not setting parking rates at market clearing prices. I can see moderating the rate of increase, but 10-20% annual increases until rates are where they need to be seems reasonable.

Moving my response to the more active thread, stemming from the story below.

It seems rather incredible that the city, while crying about a lack of revenue to senior levels of government, would consider not setting parking rates at market clearing prices. I can see moderating the rate of increase, but 10-20% annual increases until rates are where they need to be seems reasonable.

We'll have to see what they come up with......but I think extreme public pressure will be required through the consultation process to maximize a good outcome.

You will see higher rates for on-street pay and display, that is coming; though maybe at lower rates than I would choose.

But what we need as well are are market prices for permit parking; a lot more permit parking, pay and display on side streets near major roads/subways/hospitals etc. (permit holders don't pay twice); and I think they'll come up short on the preceding if allowed to....

Seriously wow!

Summary​

North York Community Council at its meeting on June 20, 2023, adopted Item NY6.34 entitled "The Bridle Path - Changing Parking Signage" approved amendments to parking regulations on the Bridle Path.

The purpose of this motion, with support from Transportation Services, is to request a reopening of Item NY6.34 to amend the adopted stopping prohibition measurement from 57 metres to 47 metres east of Bayview Avenue on the south side of The Bridle Path to correspond with the current signage placement.

Seriously wow!

Summary​

North York Community Council at its meeting on June 20, 2023, adopted Item NY6.34 entitled "The Bridle Path - Changing Parking Signage" approved amendments to parking regulations on the Bridle Path.

The purpose of this motion, with support from Transportation Services, is to request a reopening of Item NY6.34 to amend the adopted stopping prohibition measurement from 57 metres to 47 metres east of Bayview Avenue on the south side of The Bridle Path to correspond with the current signage placement.

Huh?

Art, this is not a zoning matter, no does it seem particularly wow-worthy.

I know unless there is an appropriate forum.

I thought it's funny that one would require a city council meeting for parking signage!

There is an appropriate spot, that would be the parking catch-all thread.

Also, the Council move isn't for the signage, its for changing the actual by-law (the basis on which ticketing occurs) so that it matches the signage.

Also, the Council move isn't for the signage, its for changing the actual by-law (the basis on which ticketing occurs) so that it matches the signage.
You'd think though, that the City Council would delegate minor tweaks like that to Community Council. Still, I expect no one held it, so it wouldn't have added any time to the meeting itself.

A report headed to the next meeting of the Toronto Parking Authority addresses the 2024 Capital and Operating Budget submission.

What I found of interest is proposed rate changes for on-street parking.

While the news is good, in that there are some long overdue increases proposed, overall, I view this as a disappointment.

Toronto's on-street rates will remain below where they ought to be, below where they need to be, and well below Vancouver's in particular, at the high end, and below many other peers at the low end,

From the report:

1700414070393.png

1700414098017.png

1700414127913.png

1700414159897.png

I would like to see a floor rate of $2.50; and a max rate in the range of $8

This would generate millions in additional revenue and free up enough spaces to allow for repurpose more to cycle tracks, CafeTO, and wider sidewalks/streetscape zones.

There is one other small positive, moving away from free parking after 9pm:

1700414279790.png

1700414315490.png

**** UT, we need people to write to the Mayor and the Budget Chief and to identify that the rate structure remains too low, that the City is leaving money on the table, and that this is contrary the City's best interests and to combating climate change.

I would suggest we dangle a carrot for the Parking Authority, further increases above what is currently proposed would be 50% retained by TPA for use for Bikeshare Expansion.

The remaining 1/2 could go back to the City for use for public transit.

Assuming one could easily generate a further increase of $6,000,000; 3M for Bikeshare Expansion, each year for 3 years, would represent at least 90 additional docks. + 900 bikes

Alternatively, 45 docks, plus Bikeshare endowment that reaches 4.5M and spins of $180,000 per year to support the program, perpetually by 2027

As at Dec 1, 2023 the fine for not paying for your parking in off street facilities will rise from $30 to $75, subject to the report to next week's General Gov't ctte passing through Council.
Why didn’t the city increase fines for onstreet parking? I got a ticket for $30 while visiting a client and when I reported it to my boss he said, just expense it and carry on. Now if that fine was $130 my boss (and myself) would be less willing to risk and cover such behaviour.

Last edited:

Back