News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Onyx (MCC, Davies Smith, 35s, Quadrangle/Raw)

Up goes the Oxmyx for a piece of the action.

Obscure Star Trek reference.

cement being poured at Onyx - photos by Airstream at SSC:

DSCF1227.jpg

DSCF1228.jpg

progress at Onyx in MCC...pic by Jasonzed at SSC:

mississauga406.jpg

update by Jasonzed over at SSC....Onyx now above grade...

mississauga808.jpg

shooting through the construction gate, the first large above-ground pillar was poured last week....

mcc16feb005.jpg

Onyx first floor taking shape....pics by Jasonzed at SSC...

mississauga1051.jpg

mississauga1053.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0027.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0038.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0039.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0040.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0041.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0046.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0047.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0048.jpg

Nice wide sidewalk on Webb and wider than the rest of Webb
IMG_april-11-09-0049.jpg

Sidewalk reduce for caffe
IMG_april-11-09-0050.jpg

The caffe is the last vacant retail unite
IMG_april-11-09-0051.jpg

IMG_april-11-09-0052.jpg

well, it depends... if we were to get something akin to the www.redbrickcafe.ca in guelph, i'd be in heaven.
i don't really understand the line of thinking that terminates with a slight grade disparity - augmented by a fence - between the storefront and sidewalk in pedestrian-oriented retail.
ah well. the basic form is there i think - to be tinkered with in the future and this'll be a nice little street.

well, it depends... if we were to get something akin to the www.redbrickcafe.ca in guelph, i'd be in heaven.
i don't really understand the line of thinking that terminates with a slight grade disparity - augmented by a fence - between the storefront and sidewalk in pedestrian-oriented retail.
ah well. the basic form is there i think - to be tinkered with in the future and this'll be a nice little street.

No I'm sorry ... please again explain the purpose of the fence?? Why the heck would they put a fence between the outer sidewalk and the retail??

The more pictures I see the worse it looks ... its as if they didn't want to pay the money to finish the sidewalk right up till the street so instead of just doing half and leaving it as is they put in a fence!

Last edited:
taal, there is a slight incline in Duke of York (going up as you walk north), and because the building is level, at one end there is a step or two from the base of the building to the sidewalk - hence the fence....

I agree with owen, it would be better to have designed a solution totally at grade with the street - but this is still not bad...the fence is really just a railing to prevent people from tripping off the steps...

to clarify - i meant the fence augmented the poor quality of the design solution. i am pretty generally anti-fence!
but i guess with safety requirements and whatnot things become necessary (though there must be other solutions...). just sort of boggles my mind how things appear to be so half-assed sometimes.
i don't think i've seen any successfully designed (in my mind) grade retail in mcc yet. hope those that are rising now can get it right...

The incline seems pretty constant throughout ... why not just have steps leading up to it ... very gradual ones.

Either way I didn't notice that at first, so I take back my comments to a certain extent :p

Back