News   May 06, 2024
 112     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 703     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

Last week, on my drive to Toronto,I stopped into find the Orillia station. It is such a shame it is cut off from the railways and cannot be used to for the return of the Northlander.

The interesting thing to me are the gates. Not surprising that there would be an upgrade to unprotected crossings - but many of the protected crossings up that way only have flashers but no gates. If gates is the new standard, I wonder if other crossings will be upgraded as well, either now or gradually as they need replacement..

- Paul
I have been told (yes, I know) by an ONTC staffer, that crossings that lack automatic protection will be upgraded with 'the full monty' (lights and gates) regardless of usage or traffic patterns. Those with lights only will be grandfathered and upgraded if usage dictates it or equipment needs replacing.

I have been told (yes, I know) by an ONTC staffer, that crossings that lack automatic protection will be upgraded with 'the full monty' (lights and gates) regardless of usage or traffic patterns. Those with lights only will be grandfathered and upgraded if usage dictates it or equipment needs replacing.
Quick question for @smallspy or anyone else conversant with the applicable rules: does a lack of automatic protection on a crossing such as indicated above mandate that trains proceed at a limited speed simply for that reason? (And if so, what’s the limit)

Quick question for @smallspy or anyone else conversant with the applicable rules: does a lack of automatic protection on a crossing such as indicated above mandate that trains proceed at a limited speed simply for that reason? (And if so, what’s the limit)

It's a little more complicated - but the answer is here.

In theory, the crossing must be built and maintained with enough sightline to allow a motorist to see a train that is approaching at the track's design speed and be able to stop... the road speed being a factor in that.

If the topography doesn't permit the required sightlines, the crossing protection has to be upgraded, rather than the train speed being lowered. A stop sign may be all that's required.

Of course, If the sightline is poor because the track curves, the track design speed may be restricted - but by the curvature rather than by the quality of the crosing protection.

- Paul

Last edited:
More upgrades.

1712544695792.png

1712544708516.png

1712544720469.png

1712544731870.png

1712544745714.png

If I am understanding this, would this mean construction would begin next year and then service could start by the end of 2025?

If I am understanding this, would this mean construction would begin next year and then service could start by the end of 2025?
The RFP closes June 4th, so early work could even begin later this year I’d guess.

I honestly think that the biggest variable is if Siemens can deliver the train sets on time. No reason to assume they won’t however.

The RFP closes June 4th, so early work could even begin later this year I’d guess.

I honestly think that the biggest variable is if Siemens can deliver the train sets on time. No reason to assume they won’t however.
I am assuming that the rolling stock will arrive on time. My wonder is about the stations and what work is needed for the first train to arrive. For the Timmins station, if they can get the foundations poured by fall, over the winter they could, do the rest.

Back