News   Jun 05, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 883     1 

Ontario Flag needs replacing

Because it is ours, it is unique and it represents success.

Can't be ours if no one had a say? Even the Maple Leaf went through various committees, this was put together overnight without a thought in its design. Suggest to keep the union jack if you want, but it needs a update, and the public should have a say.

Me, I see positive things: the Union jack is a historical nod to what made modern Ontario the place it is today. The bedrock to the success of any country is the sum of its institutions and ours have been superbly successful. Prosperous, democratic and peaceful, our British legacy speaks to all Ontarians, regardless of ethnicity or background.

The Union Jack represents the union of Ireland (now Northern Ireland), Scotland and England. Nothing represents Canada...or Wales, but that for a different discussion.

The whole point isn't to wipe the Union Jack from the history books, it will always be part of our history, good and bad, but we have to stop living in the past and start making our own history.

Now, what are the real problems facing Ontario....?

We call it multitasking. :rolleyes:

We can put a call out for a new flag while dealing with other issues. It's not that hard.

ontario.gif
mbflag.jpg

5% of the Manitoba is occupied by a bison, versus three gold maple leaves occupying the same 5% of the Ontario flag. Totally different. It's that 5% which makes it unique. Plus, the Red Ensign itself is a design unique to Ontario.

Newfoundland and Labrador had a red and blue ensign 1904 to 1931. Then they adopted the Union Jack until joining confederation in 1949, and then again from 1952 to 1980, when they adopted their current flag.

320px-Dominion_of_Newfoundland_Red_Ensign.svg.png
320px-Dominion_of_Newfoundland_Blue_Ensign.svg.png

320px-Flag_of_Newfoundland_and_Labrador.svg.png

The Northwest Territories used the same red ensign that was used by Hudson's Bay Company from 1869 to 1970.

320px-Hudsons_Bay_Company_Flag.svg.png

320px-Flag_of_the_Northwest_Territories.svg.png

Nova Scotia had am ensign 1868-1929.

Flag_of_Nova_Scotia_%281868-1929%29.png

320px-Flag_of_Nova_Scotia.svg.png

All this to say that the majority of Ontario's flag is not unique; if anything, it is the crest embedded on it that is unique. Saying the flag in it's entirety is a stretch.
Every other province and territory besides Manitoba has shown us that a flag can be better than a red ensign. I still don't get what is stopping us.

All this to say that the majority of Ontario's flag is not unique; if anything, it is the crest embedded on it that is unique. Saying the flag in it's entirety is a stretch.
Every other province and territory besides Manitoba has shown us that a flag can be better than a red ensign. I still don't get what is stopping us.

Inertia - opening up symbols is a surefire way to controversy with precious little payback politically. Just think the kerfuffle around O Canada.

AoD

View attachment 85223 View attachment 85224
Can't be ours if no one had a say? Even the Maple Leaf went through various committees, this was put together overnight without a thought in its design. Suggest to keep the union jack if you want, but it needs a update, and the public should have a say.

The Ontario Flag was adopted after being passed by the Provincial Legislature = democratic mandate given. Now, which provincial flags didn’t??

The Union Jack represents the union of Ireland (now Northern Ireland), Scotland and England. Nothing represents Canada...or Wales, but that for a different discussion.

The Union jack is an official flag of Canada –Royal Union Flag (for full title). Canada’s unique and distinct identity is perfectly encapsulated in our National Flag. Our provincial flag can be put into the pot that is the melange of Canadian identity: from many comes one.

The whole point isn't to wipe the Union Jack from the history books, it will always be part of our history, good and bad, but we have to stop living in the past and start making our own history.

Interesting quote from the internet:

George Orwell wrote in 1984, "He who controls the present controls the past. He who controls the past controls the future." A nation's collective memory is the unseen seven-eighths of the iceberg. When you sever that, what's left just bobs around on the surface, unmoored in every sense. Orwell understood that an assault on history is an assault on memory, and thus a totalitarian act. M.Steyn

Personally, I think our provincial flag looks nice, little red, white and blue cross’y thing in the corner and all. When I see it I think Ontario.
Sorry, I can’t see colonial yoke, foreign oppressor or anything like that. If you don’t like it…guess that’s just one of those things in life. But like I said earlier, it makes us no less Canadian.

But create our own history? That has too much of an ominous ‘Pol Pot Year Zero’ tone too it. "Welcome to the People’s Republic of Ontario, we are making our own history from now on..."

NK_Ont.jpg

We are one of the world’s oldest settled, constitutional democracies and changing flags due to whatever is the current fashion does strike me as a bit…third world’ish, IMO.

We are Canadian not British, and we don't hanker after the British empire or a restoration of Imperial France, but we do have a lot of foreign national symbols and traditions that make up our diverse culture.

Jean_Pipe.jpg

Anyhow, never mind the Ontario flag, what about the name of that province???

Attachments

• NK_Ont.jpg
    NK_Ont.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,650
  • Jean_Pipe.jpg
    Jean_Pipe.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,281
Last edited:
I do think Ontario needs a new flag. I like some of the ideas presented here. The trillium used in some way would be the most logical choice.

I do think Ontario needs a new flag. I like some of the ideas presented here. The trillium used in some way would be the most logical choice.

There have been suggests of different forms with the trillium previously shown in this thread.

new-ontario-flag-jpg.42133

Ontario_flag_proposal_simply_trillium_on_red.png

v470_20080095_flag_St_john_co.jpg

I think using a stylized trillium like this one somewhere on whatever flag we get would be fine:
trillium-jpg.24015

There have been suggests of different forms with the trillium previously shown in this thread.

Sorry W.K. Lis, but I think your last post pretty well sums up the absurd and inane nature of this discussion.

Great drawings, any commercial design experience?

This is a grand design, hmmm, that thing looks sort of familiar…

01_Green_Ont_Small.jpg

Anyone for Ontario-themed safe sex packaging? It works for me!:rolleyes:

Slide5.JPG

You have used that iconic feature of Ontario, the Trillium, well done!

02_Red_Ont_Small.jpg

Hey, my flag is now, get this- 9 times as iconic – whoa!

Slide6.JPG

If ever the current Ontario morphs into a 23rd century central North American empire and needs a battle-flag for its intergalactic fleet…we have it ready to go! Hail all powerful empire of the Trillium!

03_Gold_Ont.jpg

Attachments

• 01_Green_Ont_Small.jpg
    01_Green_Ont_Small.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,333
  • Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 02_Red_Ont_Small.jpg
    02_Red_Ont_Small.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,256
  • Slide6.JPG