News   Mar 28, 2024
 518     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 406     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 744     0 

Ontario Flag needs replacing

Speaking of historical themes, if your geography is good this should be easy. From memory, if I remember correctly, Denmark has the oldest flag.

640px-Nordic_cross_flags_of_Northern_Europe.svg.png

If Scotland were to become independent (which would become very likely, thanks to Brexit), then Ontario's flag would need to change as well.

Well, not necessarily so. Remember we have both the flags of Britain and France in our National Coat of Arms. However, it is of Imperial France, not the Republic of France (which came about about 3 decades after Quebec was given to the Brits).

Also, try telling the Aussies they have to change their flag! I think the point to take away is that the Ontario flag belongs to us, not to anyone else so let's keep it the way it is :)

[Speaking to The Australian about the unintended consequences of the Scottish independence, Graham Bartram of the British Flag Institute said: “No matter what Scotland or Britain does, Australia’s flag is Australia’s flag and it is up to Australia what it does with it. So even if Britain did change its flag there is no way that it could or, I suspect, would ask Australia to change theirs to match it.”/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Because the Union Jack will be scrapped?

So? The Union Jack might, or might not, be scrapped or altered by the United Kingdom. Didn't Westminster long ago stop making laws for Ontario? Where in Ontario's Flag Act does it say that our flag changes depending on what a foreign country does to its current flag? And, I always thought the Union Jack in canton of Ontario's flag was supposed to represent our heritage (albeit, a British/Loyalist-centric version of it) rather than reflecting the United Kingdom of the 21st century.

There is no "need" for Ontario to change its flag in the event the U.K. changes its flag, as was suggested above.

Whether Ontario will choose to change its flag is a different matter. Do you think there will be popular and political support in Ontario to change our flag to reflect whatever a country in Europe decides? I'm guessing more people will wonder why we still use a red ensign for our flag, with the next largest group wanting to leave well enough alone. The group of people in the province who think we should update our flag to reflect the U.K.'s new identity, just because, will likely all fit in a conference room at Queens Park.

Last edited:
So? The Union Jack might, or might not, be scrapped or altered by the United Kingdom. Didn't Westminster long ago stop making laws for Ontario? Where in Ontario's Flag Act does it say that our flag changes depending on what a foreign country does to its current flag? And, I always thought the Union Jack in canton of Ontario's flag was supposed to represent our heritage (albeit, a British/Loyalist-centric version of it) rather than reflecting the United Kingdom of the 21st century.

There is no "need" for Ontario to change its flag in the event the U.K. changes its flag, as was suggested above.

Whether Ontario will choose to change its flag is a different matter. Do you think there will be popular and political support in Ontario to change our flag to reflect whatever a country in Europe decides? I'm guessing more people will wonder why we still use a red ensign for our flag, with the next largest group wanting to leave well enough alone. The group of people in the province who think we should update our flag to reflect the U.K.'s new identity, just because, will likely all fit in a conference room at Queens Park.

A change in management is apparent on our coat of arms.

245px-Coat_of_arms_of_Canada.svg.png

I personally don't care. I was just guessing what Johnny Au meant.

If it was up to me we would come up with a new flag that has no Union Jack on it. I don't see it as a matter of heritage. To me it makes us look like a Colony.

Personally I don't have the slightest issue with either the Canadian or Ontario Coat of Arms - that's the proper place to celebrate our heritage. The flag on the other than is the most visible outward manifestation of our polity - and the current one just doesn't work. The lack of attachment to it at large is plenty telling.

AoD

Personally, I like the flag.

Because it is ours, it is unique and it represents success.

You can make what you want in the Ontario flag. You can see negative connotations as a historical throwback, an Anglo symbol, imperial nostaligia…that’s up to you.

Or maybe the perfect Ontario flag is yet to be discovered??

Me, I see positive things: the Union jack is a historical nod to what made modern Ontario the place it is today. The bedrock to the success of any country is the sum of its institutions and ours have been superbly successful. Prosperous, democratic and peaceful, our British legacy speaks to all Ontarians, regardless of ethnicity or background. The Americans had their War of Independence, we had the Durham Report, not exciting but even more important. Now, that said, I am under no illusion on the historical knowledge of the average person, but having worked a lot in developing countries, a nation's success is not to be taken for granted.

If you think it looks colonial – bearing in mind we have not been a colony for 175 years as of 2016 - I have no comeback. IMO, Canada is a mature, self confident nation secure in its identity that can display historic emblems as legitimate symbols of its nationhood without feeling inferior. As a Canadian, my national identity is only represented in the Maple Flag, but I think our diverse and distinctive provincial flags – internal domestic emblems, represent our uniqueness.

A real country has no need for what I perceive as ‘no name brand’ national symbols. I have no problem with the Union jack - nor with Quebec’s fleur-de-lis for that matter, they make me feel no less Canadian.

Now, what are the real problems facing Ontario....?

Last edited:
Couldn't we have a UT poll to find out If people care either way

Well, its all a bit of a laugh isn't it??

The Kiwi flag debate lost an opportunity to get an iconic flag. The official options, besides the existing flag (which won), didn't capture the public's imagination because they were too shi...bland. Looked like beach towels not flags was a common refrain.

Anyhow, who would forget these classic designs (, kiwis obviously take themselves seriously ;-) that say NEW ZEALAND!!

slide_426026_5493768_free.jpg

Or...

Te-Pepe2.png

Open the design competition to children!
Good-flag.png

slide_426026_5493778_free.jpg

1440396723479.jpg

This is a bit too meaningful...

nz-flag.jpg

Last edited:
But for those Kiwis who took things more seriously, here is a serious contender and it may very well reappear in the future given its meaningful description. Perhaps a lesson for us in Ontario?

"The Long White Sheepcloud", by Hamish Duncanson from Bay of Plenty. "The long white cloud represents our country's identity - what makes New Zealand special. The sheep's legs symbolise our endless pursuit to grow as a nation, as we refine New Zealand into a place that we, and the next generations, can be proud to be a part of"

flag10_3377499a-large.jpg

Back