One Valhalla Towns And Condos (Edilcan Development) - Real Estate -

As a comparison for insurance in downtown Toronto, I pay $420/year for a new condo near Bathurst & Queen, including $1,000,000 liability and sewer backup protection. I would recommend getting the sewer protection. While condos are less prone to getting backed up, and you won't get a situation like the basement of a house flooding, you will have a sewer main running through one of the walls in your condo and if that backups and damages anything in your condo, you'll be on the hook for those repairs. When you're dealing with sewage it can get costly in a hurry.

Took your advice and inquired about the sewage coverage, received a quote for $320 annually for everything (including two million dollar coverage required by the developer) so not bad at all.

Just a few days away from September and sadly still no word on early occupancy...beginning to doubt they'll do it at all now.

Might just be easier for them to give general occupancy for the same day and let everyone fight for a 2 hour move in window.

Has anyone here heard otherwise?

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to get your opinion on storage lockers. Do you think they are necessary/add value? Is it important to have?

An extra $4000 is a bit steep, but what are your thoughts on it? I personally won't have much use for it, but I'm thinking long term value.

If you can swing it I would get one. Storage locker will always add value in the long run. Especially if you don't have any dedicated storage space in the condo itself.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to get your opinion on storage lockers. Do you think they are necessary/add value? Is it important to have?

An extra $4000 is a bit steep, but what are your thoughts on it? I personally won't have much use for it, but I'm thinking long term value.

When I purchased my unit preconstruction, lockers were going for $3,000, now it's $4,000, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Yes, lockers will add value for sure. I skipped out on a locker, I'm fortunate enough to use my parents garage to store my winter tires and such so it wasn't so pressing. I spent $3,000 on in suite upgrades which I think was a better use of money.

In other news, have some information about occupancy:

Edilcan is still trying to obtain the occupancy permit from the city so they cannot confirm early occupancy is a go until they get that permit. I know they've had a good history of obtaining their occupancy permits in the past so lets hope this doesn't drag on.

Hello everyone.

So I just spoke with my insurance and we were quoted $38.88/month for our home insurance. This includes the required things and sewage protection up to $10,000.

We decided to get a locker as my boyfriend has work equipment he needs to store somewhere and I really don't enjoy the idea of a chainsaw in our living room lol. Also, we have winter tires and hockey gear. I do not know how much our locker was as it was "included" in our layout. I think that they're a great investment for the future and we are kind of wishing ours was a little larger because we have too much junk.

Hello everyone.

So I just spoke with my insurance and we were quoted $38.88/month for our home insurance. This includes the required things and sewage protection up to $10,000.

We decided to get a locker as my boyfriend has work equipment he needs to store somewhere and I really don't enjoy the idea of a chainsaw in our living room lol. Also, we have winter tires and hockey gear. I do not know how much our locker was as it was "included" in our layout. I think that they're a great investment for the future and we are kind of wishing ours was a little larger because we have too much junk.

Wow, that's a great deal you got from the developer if the locker was included with your unit!

Just browsing kijiji this morning to see if anyone has posted rental ads for their units, looks like we got one...just so happens to be in the driftwood package with the granite option, looks pretty good too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-ap...se/1197526823?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Wow, that's a great deal you got from the developer if the locker was included with your unit!

Just browsing kijiji this morning to see if anyone has posted rental ads for their units, looks like we got one...just so happens to be in the driftwood package with the granite option, looks pretty good too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-ap...se/1197526823?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I honestly don't think that it was included. We definitely paid for it but they just didn't tell us that it was for x amount haha.

Edit: The only deal that I do know is that we had our lawyer ask to cap our closing fees at 1,000 so that they cannot be more than that. They took away most fees except for those in the event of a cheque bouncing.

This is so exciting, I can't believe they're already up. I have been looking for people posting parking spot rentals but unfortunately no luck as of yet.

I honestly don't think that it was included. We definitely paid for it but they just didn't tell us that it was for x amount haha.

Edit: The only deal that I do know is that we had our lawyer ask to cap our closing fees at 1,000 so that they cannot be more than that. They took away most fees except for those in the event of a cheque bouncing.

This is so exciting, I can't believe they're already up. I have been looking for people posting parking spot rentals but unfortunately no luck as of yet.

I found three ads for people looking for parking spots, really has me beginning to worry about the ability to find another spot...might have to start parking at the Loblaws, not sure if that lot is monitored or not.

Ah yes, I also had the fees capped at $1,000. Has anyone asked their lawyer roughly what they expect to pay for all the closing costs? Mine has said to budget for $4,000. Between the lawyer fees, government fees, hydro hook up, Tarion fees, it really really adds up quickly!

Once more PDI's are conducted, we'll be seeing more and more ads for rental units in the near future.

I found three ads for people looking for parking spots, really has me beginning to worry about the ability to find another spot...might have to start parking at the Loblaws, not sure if that lot is monitored or not.

Ah yes, I also had the fees capped at $1,000. Has anyone asked their lawyer roughly what they expect to pay for all the closing costs? Mine has said to budget for $4,000. Between the lawyer fees, government fees, hydro hook up, Tarion fees, it really really adds up quickly!

Once more PDI's are conducted, we'll be seeing more and more ads for rental units in the near future.

Yeah we had to have the talk of "whose car will we sell if it comes down to it". I know some companies will patrol their lots or have a security company do a sweep to see if people abuse their lots. That would be the biggest concern.

I haven't asked our lawyer about our fees, I probably should now that I think about it. I'm kind of afraid to do so. I know our bank told us to expect around 4,000-5,000. If it is your first property your government fees wont be bad because of the first time home buyers exemption.

I haven't been to this forum in some time, but I'm glad there's some communication going on as we get closer to our occupancy date. For those of you who got your fees capped (I'm new to all this and didn't know that was an option) did you do it at the time of purchase? Is it something you think I could do now?

I haven't been to this forum in some time, but I'm glad there's some communication going on as we get closer to our occupancy date. For those of you who got your fees capped (I'm new to all this and didn't know that was an option) did you do it at the time of purchase? Is it something you think I could do now?

Honestly, I also didn't know but my lawyer suggested it ironically. We did it after we signed the purchase agreement and sent the copy of the agreement to the lawyer. He read over the paperwork and the cd containing the condo documents and suggested multiple amendments.

Welcome back to the forum!

As for trying to get the fees capped now, it's much too late. The only time you could have made amendments to the purchase agreement was during the 10 day cooling period when you first signed the agreement.

Yeah we had to have the talk of "whose car will we sell if it comes down to it". I know some companies will patrol their lots or have a security company do a sweep to see if people abuse their lots. That would be the biggest concern.

I haven't asked our lawyer about our fees, I probably should now that I think about it. I'm kind of afraid to do so. I know our bank told us to expect around 4,000-5,000. If it is your first property your government fees wont be bad because of the first time home buyers exemption.

Haha, I've also had this conversation with the fiancé.

Yep, good thing first time home owners are excempt from the provincial and municipal land transfer tax or else you could easily add another $5,000 to the closing fees.

Hey everyone! Occupancy news!!

I just heard back from Mellissa about the occupancy for the condos. She said that the fire department did the inspections up to the 20th floor and in two weeks they are coming back to do the remainder of the building. She said that after the complete the inspections and then provide the with the occupancy per mid then they can change our occupancy date so that it is before the 27th of October.

Hey everyone! Occupancy news!!

I just heard back from Mellissa about the occupancy for the condos. She said that the fire department did the inspections up to the 20th floor and in two weeks they are coming back to do the remainder of the building. She said that after the complete the inspections and then provide the with the occupancy per mid then they can change our occupancy date so that it is before the 27th of October.

Wow!!! Thanks for keeping us posted Kan :)

I guess Mellissa didn't give an approximate date but at least it sort of narrows it down. My guess is right after thanksgiving or the week after that so roughly four weeks away

Wow!!! Thanks for keeping us posted Kan :)

I guess Mellissa didn't give an approximate date but at least it sort of narrows it down. My guess is right after thanksgiving or the week after that so roughly four weeks away

No problem!

I have one better than that! She said that it could theoretically be as soon as three weeks as long as things go smoothly. :D:D:D:D:D

So less than two weeks until our PDI (26th) and then three weeks until we could move in.

Back