News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Old City Hall Proposals

A mall is a horrible idea and I really hope that it doesn't come to that.

I agree, a museum and library would be much better.

A mall is a horrible idea and I really hope that it doesn't come to that.

I agree, a museum and library would be much better.

Now if they can dig down and create a mall underneath (perhaps as an expansion of the Eaton Centre) I would haven't much objection to that - but the building proper as a mall? Such a preposterous idea - and gawd forbid this administration should be the one signing a deal measured in decades for that - see this:

The arrangement could be similar in concept to the City’s long-term lease agreement for retail at Union Station. The recommended term for the lease would be 50 years with the rental rate to be re-negotiated at each 10 - year mark (p. 8 of report)

They've got to be out of their mind.

AoD

Last edited:
A library would be an excellent idea. As would a museum of Toronto.

I would also like to see Toronto and East York Community Council meeting in the old Council chambers.

ETA: The mall idea is dumb, but a nice restaurant in the courtyard would be lovely.

A library would be an excellent idea. As would a museum of Toronto.

I would also like to see Toronto and East York Community Council meeting in the old Council chambers.

ETA: The mall idea is dumb, but a nice restaurant in the courtyard would be lovely.

All great ideas, including the restaurant in the courtyard one (partially occupying the space only). But a 50 year lease for the building? Are they nuts? That's like handing out the crown jewel of city heritage properties on a silver platter.

AoD

Last edited:
They're thinking income here.... We all know that a Library and/or Museum would bring very little of that and would most probably end up costing the city. I wouldn't be surprised that in the end unfortunately, there will be some crappy mall inside.

Ridiculous to even contemplate a mall when the Eaton Centre is next door.

This is a public asset and should remain as such. Museum/Library is a fine idea - there is so much space to do great things in there.

They're thinking income here.... We all know that a Library and/or Museum would bring very little of that and would most probably end up costing the city. I wouldn't be surprised that in the end unfortunately, there will be some crappy mall inside.

Of course they are - but if the city can't even shell out what, 10M/a for a building of this calibre in prime tourist area for city-related uses, they should just give up now instead of pretending to be in the business of doing great things for the city.

In the shorter term, the city should relocate some departments to old city hall (e.g. planning) and release the extra space at Metro Hall for income, given the library/museum/council uses will probably still leave enough floor space around (upper floors). This way you get to keep building and control the uses without getting tied up with long-term lease arrangements, and at same time provide a revenue source elsewhere. When and if there is a need to expand the museum/library/whatnot, you can always reclaim it easily instead of having to negotiate with the leaseholder for releasing it (and likely paying dearly for it)

AoD

Last edited:
It would be the most civically embarrassing thing since Ford being mayor; such a gloriously prominent historical monument being turned into a mall to save a few dollars instead of a civic museum? Ughhhh. And yes, why on earth does this city love such absurdly long leases? It’s like every stupid use of space needs to last half a century for some reason.

I just heard that if it becomes a mall there would have to be some changes to the exterior as well as the interior! Absolute nonsense!!

Back