News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 498     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Old City Hall Proposals

Yes, that is lovely... but it still retains its 'openness' or courtyardyness (for lack of a better term), and I think that stuffing a museum in the space will feel different than the British Museum courtyard.

It would, but it could still be good, if done right: I don't think there is any reason to doubt that this courtyard would not be enhanced by a similar treatment, and there are other Foster courtyards other than the British Museum. Foster's Kogod Courtyard at the Smithsonian, opened 2007:

courtyard_water.jpg

David S. Holloway

A little ambitions aren't we ? :)

Given this will probably be controlled by the city, assuming they decide on a museum. Don't expect much of anything in terms of external or even major internal changes to the building. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

It would, but it could still be good, if done right: I don't think there is any reason to doubt that this courtyard would not be enhanced by a similar treatment, and there are other Foster courtyards other than the British Museum. Foster's Kogod Courtyard at the Smithsonian, opened 2007:

courtyard_water.jpg

David S. Holloway

I have no problem with that kind of a treatment but that's not what's being proposed, as far as I can tell. The plan for OCH calls for building a museum in the space where the courtyard is, thereby taking away the courtyard altogether. I don't feel this would be a great addition to OCH (as the enclosed courtyard space above would be), nor do I think it would make a great space for a museum. I think this one needs to be thought through a bit more.

I have no problem with that kind of a treatment but that's not what's being proposed, as far as I can tell. The plan for OCH calls for building a museum in the space where the courtyard is, thereby taking away the courtyard altogether. I don't feel this would be a great addition to OCH (as the enclosed courtyard space above would be), nor do I think it would make a great space for a museum. I think this one needs to be thought through a bit more.

I think we need to remember that all being proposed now is that the City keep control of the OCH Courtyard area so that MAYBE the City of Toronto Museum could go there. I doubt strongly that anyone has thought past this as an 'idea' and I think there is still LOTS of time for sober second thoughs and for lots of planning. I certainly doubt it will occur while Ford & Brother are our Mayor.

I certainly doubt it will occur while Ford & Brother are our Mayor.

Hahaha..i dont blame them..i too would fear a visit from the ghosts of Robert Turpin and Arthur Lucas..:D

Old City Hall

Judges' robes mysteriously being pulled, footsteps heard walking down deserted hallways, moans from empty holding cells in the basement - these are among the many unexplained occurrences that have been reported from Old City Hall. So what (or who) is disturbing the building? One theory is that it's the ghosts of Robert Turpin and Arthur Lucas, the last two men sentenced to hang in Canada. Although tried for separate crimes their lawyer, Ross MacKay, believed both men to be innocent. Whether it's the spirit of disgruntled criminals or just an old creepy building is up to you to decide.

There's a City tender call out to move this ahead. Closing 28 July

Qualified professional consultant for the purposes of carrying out the Old City Hall Historic Structure Report study

The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified professional consultant for the purposes of carrying out the Old City Hall Historic Structure Report study as required by the Facilities Management Strategic Initiatives Division. The City of Toronto wishes to develop the building as a multi-purpose space for new tenants, providing public access to the south portion of the building, while maintaining the major tenant, the provincial courts, in a reconfigured layout which will provide access to the future Toronto Museum in the courtyard. The development of a Historic Structure Report is seen as an important first step in assessing the potential reconfiguration of space within the building, and identifying costs associated with its interior restoration and refurbishment.

For some reason I though that the City had already decide on what to do with Old City Hall but NO. There is now another tender call out"
See: https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/DB47A04BCA11A22F85257D0300703263/$file/RFP%209119-14-7013%20Viewing%20Copy.pdf

1. Provide senior professional staff that is knowledgeable in specialized properties, such as OCH, including but not limited to other National Historic Sites, publicly owned properties, commercial and institutional properties;
2. Ensure that appropriate number of qualified staff is available to support assigned tasks;
3. Carry out an analysis of potential commercial/institutional uses for Old City Hall;
4. Develop tenant strategies for the following two scenarios (both scenarios should include the integration of event and food service/café uses in the southern portion of the property and that will be made more accessible to the public):
a. Ongoing tenancy of IO/MAG in reconfigured/consolidated space
b. All new tenants in reconfigured space/consolidated spaces.
5. Work closely with City staff to find the right prospective tenant(s) and tenant mix;
6. Screen and evaluate potential tenants and provide recommendations on all leasing proposals and manage and coordinate all administrative duties related to the leasing proposals;
7. Conduct all due diligence related to the potential tenant and viability of the proposed project;
a. Conduct financial analysis of the tenant(s) respecting their financial strength and ability to successfully realize their business concept
b. Review and assess the proposed real estate concept(s), drawings related to the use of the space and provide a recommendation regarding potential tenant's proposal
c. Ensure compatibility of the proposed use
d. Review and provide recommendations on the leasing proposals.
8. Facilitate possible negotiations as required to maximize revenue and terms favorable to the City;
9. Attend site meeting with City staff as required;
10. Complete all deliverables in a timely and practical manner, including responding to City inquiries and requests within 24 hours;
11. Other consulting services as needed to complete the contract by February 27, 2015.

This process seems to be lumbering along. This was posted yesterday on the City's tender call site; it closes at end of August:

Description: Consulting Services for The Future Tenant Options at Old City Hall
The City of Toronto's Real Estate Services Divisions is seeking qualified brokerage and real estate consulting firms to provide research, analysis, options, proposed strategies and marketing to attract new commercial/institutional tenants for a commitment in excess of 10 years at the City-owned National Historic Site at Old City Hall (60 Queen Street West). The City requires services and deliverables that support actionable conclusions for attracting and retaining potential long term tenants, a tenant mix plan, potential tenant upgrades and allocation of tenant spaces as set out in the 'Background' and 'Scope of Work' sections of the document.

From Old City Hall to mall? Century-old Toronto building could undergo transformation

Old City Hall could be transformed into a new city mall in as little as five years.

The city’s Government Management Committee will consider a city staff report next Monday which recommends that “the highest and best use for Old City Hall would be conversion to a retail centre that contains a mix of food service, leisure, event and civic uses.”

The 116-year-old building, which currently houses provincial courtrooms, was analyzed by Avison Young, a real estate brokerage firm, in order to propose tenant options after the courts leave by Dec. 31, 2021.

The firm suggested the site would be ideal for an “established, respected and trustworthy entity with defined experience with historic properties, a track record of success, superior financial standing.”

The report states that a plan should be implemented within five years to “generate and maintain market interest” in Old City Hall and suggested a rental rate of $41 per square foot — not including maintenance or operating costs.

The building was declared a national historic site in 1989 and was also the proposed location for a potential City of Toronto museum.
More..............http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/09/29/torontos-old-city-hall-could-become-a-mall.html

Toronto’s historic Old City Hall could become a mall, with courtyard as City of Toronto Museum
In at least five years, visitors at Toronto’s Old City Hall could be greeted not by metal detectors at a security screening checkpoint, but shiny new storefronts. The former city hall building could be transformed into a mall, according to a city staff report.

Toronto’s Government Management Committee is set to consider the report next Monday, which proposes tenant options for the heritage property after provincial and municipal courts clear out by Dec. 31, 2021.
More........http://news.nationalpost.com/toront...mall-with-courtyard-as-city-of-toronto-museum

Hahaha, a mall.
On second thought, it is actually a better idea than the current use. At least a mall provide public access. Why not a library? The one at City Hall is way too small. I always find the reference library at Yonge/Bloor too far.
It is a beautiful and grand building. There can be a dozen options.

I know many propose a Museum, but we all know it will be a boring museum. Let's have a museum when we have enough interesting stuff to show.

Last edited:

Back