News   Apr 25, 2024
 366     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Officer Down (Sgt. Ryan Russell)

What a waste of useful city resources and time, its just sargent... nothing to go completely overboard with the way the Media has blown it way out of proportion...

And speaking of going completely overboard and blowing things way out of proportion...

What a waste of useful city resources and time, its just sargent... nothing to go completely overboard with the way the Media has blown it way out of proportion. I wonder who's going to foot the bill for the funeral since the media gave it way too much attention.

I would understand if this was the same situation in Arizona where people got shot and killed by complete nut case like Lougher. Duh, Duh... flags lowered at half-staff and a moment of silence......

Just way too much time and money spent on a regular Sgt., which makes me wonder why don't we have a memorial for every police officer that dies in the line of duty; a moment of silence, acknowledge as a hero..... blah blah blah.
Just plain stupid and I hope this funeral ain't going to cost us tax payers a cent or a dime.

You are lucky the internet is standing between my foot and your ass.

This makes me think about all the construction workers who are killed doing their job and then quickly forgotten. They hardly get a mention. Not only that but in terms of the numbers of men who have died, construction is a much more dangerous job than being a cop. I guess a construction workers life just isn't considered very important, even though they do provide a very important service to the public, that makes a whole lot of people very rich. Where is the gratitude shown to them?

How many construction workers have died in the last 5 years, in the GTA alone? I'm sure it's much higher than police in the whole all of Ontario and possibly, even the whole country.

^ Construction workers don't serve the public though, they work for the private sector. Not that it justifies their death being unrecognized of course.

It is definitely true though that some death's garner a lot of attention but other deaths get completely ignored. Over 200 aboriginal women have gone missing or been murdered in Canada in the past 10 years, and over 600 dead or missing in the past 30 years, why does no one talk about them? I guess it's easier for Canadians to feel sad about the death of white man than about the deaths of hundreds of aboriginal women.

Over 200 aboriginal women have gone missing or been murdered in Canada in the past 10 years, and over 600 dead or missing in the past 30 years, why does no one talk about them? I guess it's easier for Canadians to feel sad about the death of white man than about the deaths of hundreds of aboriginal women.
No one cares about dead prostitutes. If people were busting down their front doors and murdering them, it wouldn't matter if they were native, black, white or brown - it would be an outrage to the public regardless. On the other hand, it's not everyone who can feel sad about the missing cracked up prostitute on the corner, though a twisted mind may think they also serve the public.

With so many stinging, lingering memories of the G-20 fiasco in Toronto last June it's been interesting to see a change of heart here since the loss of one of Toronto's finest. I stopped by to sign the book of condolences at Police HQ on my way home Thursday around 5:00 and there was a lineup of about 20 people in front of me.

Just way too much time and money spent on a regular Sgt., which makes me wonder why don't we have a memorial for every police officer that dies in the line of duty;

I think we do.......fortunately, it does not happen all that often and since this is the first Toronto officer to die in the line of duty in your 4 years on the planet you are forgiven for not knowing that!

I attended one of the largest police funerals in Canadian history in 1984. When a Toronto police officer was shot and killed by heavily armed a psycho dressed like Rambo who was about to go on a killing spree. It was pretty impressive seeing some four thousand police officers from across North America marching together

You are lucky the internet is standing between my foot and your ass.

Why, you going to beat him up?

I'm impressed with all of you who've made death threats to those who posted a contrary opinion. Makes you no better then the cop killer....actually makes you a little worse.

I'm impressed with all of you who've made death threats to those who posted a contrary opinion. Makes you no better then the cop killer....actually makes you a little worse.

I have read this whole thread....I must have missed the death threats!

Why is it always the Newbies who make these inflammatory remarks. Where did anyone threaten death? That's illegal, if someone threatened anyone with death I assure you the Mods here would be reporting it to the police.

Where did anyone threaten death? That's illegal, if someone threatened anyone with death I assure you the Mods here would be reporting it to the police.
Surely in the context of this discussion, saying "I'd like to steal a snowplow and run you over" is a death threat - though likely only meant as a threat, rather than an intent.

But why you don't simply ignore comments like this, I don't know ...

Would the media give such attention and time for just a regular police officer who died in the line of duty? How about if it was a traffic cop who was issuing tickets and got run down by a snow plow? Does he / she deserve a full scale memorial with some sorta parade and a large commemorative funeral? I just think that its way too much publicity for just a Police Sgt. who died in the line of duty. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a big funeral and memorial; I'm not against it at all. What my point is that the media has gone overboard in covering this story; almost a week now about the same media coverage.... hopefully media outlets can focus their attention on something else soon.

Last edited:

Back