News   Apr 19, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 576     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 960     3 

Officer Down (Sgt. Ryan Russell)

You have not brought forward any evidence backing that up, or any to counter my claim

So, one needs to provide evidence before one asks a question? How pathetic....I'll be sure to hold you to that standard from now on. ;)

I could be a *lot* more hysterical

good for you .

I see that you're incapable of posting without resorting to personal attacks....that says much more about you then me.

Evidence helps, sure. You make an assertion, you back it up, which you have not done. If you insist on not backing up what you say in the absence of that, you really leave me no choice *but* to call you ignorant. I have no doubt you would not hesitate to make a similar assertion were the shoe on the other foot. And if you think "self-righteous ignorance" is a personal attack, then clearly I must have hit a soft spot, as you seem to comment on nothing else. Or you think way too much of yourself. I don't know, help me out here. Any thread involving the police seems to get your goat. Why is that, I wonder?

Here is your question: BTW, are there any cops actually on duty, "protecting" us, today?

Why "protecting" in quotes? The fact you need to ask that, again, says something about your underlying motives. I'm just curious what they are. And you aren't so blinded by ideology that you would think that all cops in Toronto were marching today and not working as they normally do, are you?

Last edited:
I really love how insulting you people get and the fact that you miss the point here entirely by blaming people who are critical of the spectacle of being anti-cop.
Yes, he should have a funeral. I'm not disputing that. What is blown out of proportion, however, is the spectacle. It is out of proportion and on par with a state funeral in terms of media coverage. In real media terms, it is populist, easy news and has taken away a spotlight from the accountability issues that had been focused on 'the Force' just days earlier;
We all recognize his efforts, yep. It's sad, just like all the other people that die every day doing their jobs. The elephant in the room with this issue is the level of media hype and 24/7 coverage or the funeral. This is a media critique but the police also have a vested interest in getting some public sympathy - on the back of this officer - as an organization that is presently under fire due to their conduct at G20. This tragedy is a PR win for the police and the bizzarrely over the top media circus is borderline disturbing.
Little bubble? Soap operas? Please, leave the insulting teenage bully talk in your pants and discuss complex issues like an adult if you've got the capacity.

You make an assertion, you back it up,

I do...when I make an assertion.
Try to figure out the difference between question and assertion, then maybe you can justify that high horse you love to ride.

Here is your question:

..I thought you said it was an assertion...are you confused?

Well, you *did* assert this:

"as opposed to living in your big bubble of corruption?"

Care to elaborate?

As to your question, well, sure, I'll grant you it wasn't an assertion. But this "protecting" thing, are you sure you asked that as a legitimate question, or something else masquerading as one? That's where I'm not buying what you're selling.

Moving the goalposts until you get something right?
Sad.
I'm not trying to sell you anything, you're just not that special, sorry.

Assertions are assertions. Pot, meet kettle. Nice evasion there.

You also haven't asserted where I've been a "hero spokesman" or engaged in vitriol. I was simply pointing out that questions concerning policing staffing during the march are misguided given that police maintain regular staffing levels during such events, and that raising unsubstantiated questions and/or assertions about this *is* ignorant and disingenuous. Yet you took from that some sort of personal attack on you. Sad, and not the case as you're just not that special, sorry.

The funeral was not done for some media spectacle or PR exercise, and I would know, there is a reason my legs and feet are sore right now. I don't know where that dumb idea is coming from, if that many people wanted to attend the service then so what?

If the media coverage seems excessive then don't watch it, and they are not exploiting the murder of this officer to try and do a favor for the police and boost the public's support of them.

There's no doubt this was a tragedy, but I've found the media coverage to be distasteful, even borderline cheesy. I tried to listen to the local news today on CFRB, and there was nothing except for this story. Then John Tory started yapping endlessly about it too. I didn't last 10 minutes before I had to shut it off due to impending nausea.

Oh and doug and sjmx - if you really want to see fiendishlibrarian's blood boil, just ask him about postering on the streets or random tattoos on people, clear indications that our society is on the verge of anarchy.

I am not an officer of the law, nor am I a protester of any kind and, with the exception of one traffic ticket, have not had any real contact with the police in my 48 years on the planet. I would imagine that I am like most people in my regard and contact with the police.....grateful they are there when I think about it but not really all that aware of their presence at most times.

With that as a backdrop I can tell you that the historic practice of honouring Police Officers is generally accepted within the people that I talk to and meet. I work right on University Avenue and did not hear one person talk today about the inconvenience or the over the top nature of the ceremony/service. I did not meet anyone rushing down to be part of the service either. It is just an accepted ritual/ceremony when an officer is lost in the line of duty. No one I know critiques the practice and any comments i heard were along the lines of "I guess it serves to remind us all how risky their lives are"......yes other people do die at work or on the job....but those tend to be accidents in a more pure sense.....first responders killed in the line of duty do so as their jobs are intentionally designed to put them in between harm and the rest of us. We may never know what caused that guy to go on a wild ride in the stolen truck.....but setting up a road block was an attempt to stop him because we also did not know what the potential harm to many people who had not signed up to be targets could be.

This officer died in an actual roadblock but in many ways that is what all first responders are on a daily basis, roadblocks trying to prevent harm from getting to rest of us.

Was the media coverage overblown......it was, I think, bigger than I remember the last police funeral getting (thankfully these things take place so seldom that it really is tough to remember the details of the funerals) but media coverage for everything just keep getting bigger as there is more media outlets and more media technology allowing for bigger coverage. Was the coverage out of line with the public's perception of the importance of the event.....I really don't think so, I mentioned earlier that thousands lined up over the weekend to pay respects to a man that most of them did not know (and it is not even close to the same thing as a condo sales office) that tells me the media was reflective of the community view of the story.

There's no doubt this was a tragedy, but I've found the media coverage to be distasteful, even borderline cheesy. I tried to listen to the local news today on CFRB, and there was nothing except for this story. Then John Tory started yapping endlessly about it too. I didn't last 10 minutes before I had to shut it off due to impending nausea.

Ditto--even by recent cop-killing standards, it seemedl bathetic. And given the nature of the killer, I'm wondering if it was the media salivating for a homegrown version of that Arizona-killer mojo...

Notwithstanding doug, sjmx and the other Newbies bickering with each other, I have to agree that the coverage was overblown. And this is from a strong supporter of the police, with extended family serving in the TPS and OPP. Any emergency service provider who is willing to protect me, my family and my property with his/her life is a hero to me, and deserves a suitable funeral if they die in service of others, but I couldn't help feeling "over-funeral'ed" by 2pm.

Back