News   May 03, 2024
 670     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 431     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 226     0 

Occupy Toronto Market Exchange

I too walk through occasionally; there are signs exhorting no drugs, no alcohol - I've never smelled wacky tabacky, was expecting a bit of this. No raised voices; altogether a rather puritanical place. :)

I smelled pot when I walked through there the other day. But then one can smell pot just about anywhere on the streets of Toronto these days.

BlogTo has photos of Occupy Toronto 2.0. Apparently some of the protesters have moved their tents to Queen's Park.

I smelled pot when I walked through there the other day. But then one can smell pot just about anywhere on the streets of Toronto these days.

BlogTo has photos of Occupy Toronto 2.0. Apparently some of the protesters have moved their tents to Queen's Park.

To be fair, St. James Park is a common place for people to smoke up, protest or no protest.

However, I do agree with some of the recent sentiments I've heard that the demographic of the park has changed over the past few weeks, with ideological protestors being replaced by a tougher down-and-out crowd who is more interested in a place to sleep than on making social commentary. Those involved in the protest are attempting to be inclusive and have no authority to kick out anyone who doesn't behave in a certain way, however, this opens the door to being taken advantage of. Of course anyone has a right to be politically engaged in the movement (in fact, many have great reasons to be) but having St. James turn into a tent city will not help the credibility of the movement, and will dissuade others from showing support.

The park is much messier than it was a few weeks ago, with tarps and garbage spread around, and the portable toilets are stinking quite badly. Lately I've been avoiding walking through and I've been going around. Perhaps the time has in fact come for them to pack it in while there is still some good will and suport remaining, and look for new ways to continue making a statement. Just my thoughts.

I met another forum member at the park on Sunday afternoon and we joined the Sissy Stroll that some of the Occupy people organized. Yes, there is a queer presence in the park, and I hope it becomes more visible. There were about 25 of us, young dykes, a man in a wheelchair with a rainbow flag, and gay men of various ages and we went for a pleasant stroll, looking at buildings with historic gay connotations with a Xtra photog in tow. Then back to the park for hot chocolate, cookies and chatter with the Xtra journo.

There were considerably fewer tents there when I dropped by early this afternoon. But even if the big show ends today they've done an excellent job of bringing their case, and cause, before the general public.

Injunction. Protesters allowed to stay for the time being. CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/11/15/occupy-national-roundup-toronto-calgary.html

Late Tuesday afternoon, Judge David Brown granted a temporary stay of the city's eviction notice to protesters occupying St. James Park.

Brown said he needs more information before he can rule on the city's plan to remove protesters from the park. The judge will hold a hearing on Friday to further discuss the matter and deliver his verdict by 6 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Judge upholds ruling, occupiers have till 12:00am to move out

20111121160623__mg_2302.jpg

so what now?

While the St. James Cathedral had supported the Occupy people for weeks, now they have decided to obey the law. Can't say I blame them. But it seems that some of the Occupy people do. Burning bridges, perhaps?

NOW: No sanctuary for Occupy

While church leaders have expressed sympathy with the Occupy movement, today they officially withdrew support for the actual camp out. The move comes hours after a judge rejected Occupy Toronto’s request for an injunction against the city’s eviction order, ruling that they have no right to take over public space at the expense of other citizens.

Taylor Chelsea, a protest organizer who had been in talks with the church to broker a compromise, said she felt betrayed the cathedral's leaders.

“The Occupy movement is an issue of justice, it’s an issue of vulnerable populations. And these guys are weaseling out of their god-given duties apparently,” she fumed. “They can’t say they want to do good work when they’re not doing the good work right now.”
“The courts have spoken. And as we indicated last week, we would respect and follow the decision of the court,” said Dean Douglas Stoute. “We expect that the occupiers that have gone to the courts will also respect that decision.”

“I want to reiterate that the church supports the message of economic justice that has been raised by the Occupy movement around the globe,” he continued. "But the Occupy movement is not a movement of St. James Cathedral.”

The church's eviction notice said that in accordance with city bylaws, no one is allowed in the park between the hours of midnight and 5:30 am. The judge’s ruling earlier today means that the eviction orders are enforceable immediately.

Back