News   Apr 26, 2024
 59     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 403     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Nordstrom

Interesting that Oxford was willing to give Nordstrom a spot at Yorkdale in exchange for opening a store a Square One. I wonder (a) where at Square One Oxford could even fit a Nordstrom store and (b) why Nordstrom was reluctant to locate there. Surely Square One is a better location than Sherway?

Interesting that Oxford was willing to give Nordstrom a spot at Yorkdale in exchange for opening a store a Square One. I wonder (a) where at Square One Oxford could even fit a Nordstrom store and (b) why Nordstrom was reluctant to locate there. Surely Square One is a better location than Sherway?

Just by having a Holts (even though it isn't a good one) at Sherway makes it a "higher end" mall.

Sherway is a way better fit for Nordstroms. Square 1 attracts a much younger clientele, whereas Sherway tends to be more mature. There are way more aspirational brands at Sherway and it has always been a point of entry for US chains (Apple, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, etc).

Also, I am pretty sure that Nordstrom would have a stigma against being a co-anchor with Walmart and Target.

I understand Sherway is a "higher end" mall than Square One, but Square One has much higher traffic.

Sherway also has significantly higher sales psf.

It's a high end mall, plain and simple. It would rival Yorkdale if it weren't for the fact that it hasn't expanded since the late 80s. Apparently, CF has some lofty plans for Sherway. Let's hope they action them soon.

Bayview Village would also be a great fit for Nordstrom's, but there is literally nowhere to place it. They would have to build over the parking lot facing Sheppard.

For Sherway are they taking over the sears or are they building new?

The Star and Retail Insider articles say the Sears store would continue to operate. It looks like Retail Insider revised their article, where previously it had it listed as a replacement for Sears. It now says: "while the Sherway Gardens store will be a new-build Nordstrom location, corresponding with an expansion of the shopping centre. The 225,000 sq ft Sears store at Sherway will continue to operate." It also added in: "Negotiations are still underway for Nordstrom to occupy part of the current Sears store at the Toronto Eaton Centre. Talks are also underway for Nordstrom to take over the current Sears location at Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre. A previous attempt at building a 165,000 sq ft Nordstrom at the East side of Yorkdale fell through, so talks to take Yorkdale's Sears is still proposed. Yorkdale's Sears store is 190,000 square feet."

Also, if Chicagoland has 4 full-line stores (and 7 Rack discount stores), it's reasonable to see about 3 in Greater Toronto (and about 4 or 5 Rack stores if they choose to bring it). Maybe Vaughan Mills, Heartland TC, the new Simon outlet, and maybe Cookstown for Rack stores?

Last edited:
Thanks that was confusing.
3 makes sense:
- Sherway,
+ probably
Yorkdale and downtown... (either Bloor or Yonge/Dundas)

Will be interesting to see how they do in cities like Ottawa, which has a horrible Holt Renfrew.

Sherway also has significantly higher sales psf.

It's a high end mall, plain and simple. It would rival Yorkdale if it weren't for the fact that it hasn't expanded since the late 80s. Apparently, CF has some lofty plans for Sherway. Let's hope they action them soon.

Couldn't agree with you more. Tiffany's is opening at Sherway so it's well on it's way to rival Yorkdale. There just isn't the space right now, but Nordstrom could be a great anchor tenant which would force an overhaul of Holts and the Bay, as well as make room for higher end stores.

Couldn't agree with you more. Tiffany's is opening at Sherway so it's well on it's way to rival Yorkdale. There just isn't the space right now, but Nordstrom could be a great anchor tenant which would force an overhaul of Holts and the Bay, as well as make room for higher end stores.

From what I heard years ago, Holts was looking to add a second storey to their Sherway location and renovate the remainder. Unfortunately, it seems the crisis delayed or scuttled those plans.

Interesting that the Nordstrom at Sherway is a new build in an expansion. I can't wait to see what they have planned.

According to my map trolling of the Sherway Gardens expansion, Sporting Life will be moving to the new wing, leading me to believe Nordstrom will take over their location.

This makes sense, as the current food court will become some sort of 'high fashion alley'.

According to my map trolling of the Sherway Gardens expansion, Sporting Life will be moving to the new wing, leading me to believe Nordstrom will take over their location.

This makes sense, as the current food court will become some sort of 'high fashion alley'.

I was thinking "what plans? what is he talking about".

Luckily Google was my friend so I didn't speak too soon.

http://www.future.sherwaygardens.ca/Pages/default.aspx

I was thinking "what plans? what is he talking about".

Luckily Google was my friend so I didn't speak too soon.

http://www.future.sherwaygardens.ca/Pages/default.aspx

Impressive! 50 new stores is more than Yorkdale is opening so it will be interesting to see if most of these are first to market or brands or a continuation of brands expanding into Canada. It's always amazed me that Toronto doesn't even have a DKNY store, so either Yorkdale is getting one and it hasn't been announced yet, or this would be the perfect expansion for it. But I digress...

Wonder what the timeline is on this.

Back