News   Apr 19, 2024
 187     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 490     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 844     3 

Nordstrom

Nordstrom is high-end. Its like Holts, Saks, Bloomingdales. Nordstrom is very limited where it can put its stores. other than downtown in the big cities and maybe Yorkdale? Macy's, JC Penny, Lord & Taylor would be a better replacement for Sears.

Nordstrom is high-end. Its like Holts, Saks, Bloomingdales. Nordstrom is very limited where it can put its stores. other than downtown in the big cities and maybe Yorkdale? Macy's, JC Penny, Lord & Taylor would be a better replacement for Sears.

Macy's and JC Penney maybe. Lord & Taylor and The Bay are the same company, so that wouldn't be better from a consumer perspective (hardly cut-throat competition), nor better from that company's perspective (they have enough on their plate right now without taking on the Sears stores).

What's this talk of Ogilvy and Simons? Simons has made it clear the next expansion will be in Brossard's Quartier Dix30. They are not even looking outside Quebec for the moment. Ogilvy, will most probably not exist by the end of 2013 now that the Weston family owns them.

Weren't their rumours a few months ago of Saks wanting to take over a couple of Sears locations? I know Nordstrom really wants to enter the Canadian market. This could get interesting.

What's this talk of Ogilvy and Simons? Simons has made it clear the next expansion will be in Brossard's Quartier Dix30. They are not even looking outside Quebec for the moment. Ogilvy, will most probably not exist by the end of 2013 now that the Weston family owns them.

Weren't their rumours a few months ago of Saks wanting to take over a couple of Sears locations? I know Nordstrom really wants to enter the Canadian market. This could get interesting.

Simons is opening up in the West Edmonton Mall... I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned Ogilvy's as possible replacements. I suspect the stores will be subdivided...

Thanks for the news pw. I wonder if that means they have abandoned their Brossard plans.

I think it was Ogilvy that had announced plans to open up in DIX30.

Simons two new stores for 2012 are:
- West Edmonton
- Galleries Des Anjou

Nordstrom is the branch between say a Holt Renfrew and a Bay (before the redo). That said I'm not always a fan of their product, especially for men. It's a lot of obscure but not very design-y clothing or private label crap.

I'd be more excited about a Barney's COOp or even a Uniqlo.

Oh, and they are going to be opening up Lord & Taylor stores in Canada soon.

Chinook Centre in Calgary is that city's Yorkdale. It's the most logical place, even more logical than downtown (which is the only other potential site for a high-end retailer).

Rideau Centre is doing well, not spectacular, but well. I'm sure CF will easily find new tenants to replace the Sears. Ottawa is a really strange place when it comes to malls, I would suggest it has too many regional malls competing with each other - Bayshore, Rideau, St-Laurent, Place D'Orleans plus the various local malls and big box centres everywhere and this only counts the 750,000/800,000-strong Ontario side of the Ottawa River metro.

Last edited:
Yes the population is around 800,000 but that does not include the temp population with the university's and most mp's plus embassy staff etc the other thing is Ottawa is the only major hub in eastern ont now what makes it a bit more interesting is the rate Kanata & Barrheaven/Riverside South are growing maybe a store like Nordstrom would make more sense in the west side of the city.

Last edited:
I think it was Ogilvy that had announced plans to open up in DIX30.

Simons two new stores for 2012 are:
- West Edmonton
- Galleries Des Anjou

They were both rumored but i don't think anything was ever confirmed by any of them.

I'm not very familiar with Barney's but isn't that the more high end department store?

They were both rumored but i don't think anything was ever confirmed by any of them.

I'm not very familiar with Barney's but isn't that the more high end department store?

Way more than rumours. Ogilvy did announce it would be opening a second store in Brossard. Even after the Weston purchase, there was an article in Les Affaires at the end of last year that said the store would still be opening, although the banner had yet to be decided (IIRC, "Ogilvy by Holt Renfrew" was one of the options).

And Simons opening in West Edmonton Mall was in all the papers. At the time, Simons made clear it had a plan to expand elsewhere in English Canada. There is a Simons thread somewhere here on Urban Toronto.

Chinook Centre in Calgary is that city's Yorkdale. It's the most logical place, even more logical than downtown (which is the only other potential site for a high-end retailer).

Rideau Centre is doing well, not spectacular, but well. I'm sure CF will easily find new tenants to replace the Sears. Ottawa is a really strange place when it comes to malls, I would suggest it has too many regional malls competing with each other - Bayshore, Rideau, St-Laurent, Place D'Orleans plus the various local malls and big box centres everywhere and this only counts the 750,000/800,000-strong Ontario side of the Ottawa River metro.

Ottawa's urban area (which includes Gatineau) has an overall population of 1,236,324 (fourth in Canada, according to the last census), while the City of Ottawa itself is 883,391.

Back