News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 343     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

NEXT at Elgin East (Sequoia Grove Homes) - Real Estate

I haven't moved in yet, scheduled for occupancy in July. But I had some free time on Saturday and decided to drive into the development and have a look around.

Unfortunately my phone battery died when I was there so didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but while I was walking around looking at the town's I met this couple who were moving in.

We started talking and they had mentioned that it seems that none of the defects from the PDI were resolved prior to them moving in.

Some of the issues they said that had were.
-no hot water, just lukewarm
-floor moulding was not straight and were curved
-floor in about 3 areas were not leveled and very easy to notice.
-the floor panel for the washer /dryer was broken and could not be clipped in as all the tabs were torn off

This wasn't really a defect, but they mentioned that the stove, the flat top, and the fridge were tiny and expected it to be bigger.

Also, I'm assuming many if us got a notice about the sink in the powder room having to not have a counter anymore. This sink is literally so small, there is not even enough room to put a soap dispenser on it. It's a small triangle shaped in the corner wall and is about the side of a Kleenex box..maybe just a bit bigger.

Another member asked about occupancy fees for a condo unit, which I don't know, but I asked them approximately what their occupancy fees were for the townhouse and they mentioned over $4k... So the $4500 someone mentioned seems to be the going rate

To me, it seems that the builder really cut corners in the finishing as they wanted to complete occupancy... Based on what I'm seeing here and what I found out on Saturday, I'm disappointed with the builder and the lack of communication which they are providing to everyone, and all the corners they seem to have cut just to get people to take occupancy. I'm a bit worried now for when July comes around.

Another thing I noticed while I was walking around. Near the middle height of each townhouse block, there is a number on the exterior wall. These numbers don't seem to correlate to the block numbers of each bank of townhouse - so if anyone can shed some light on what those numbers are that would be great. For eg, I believe Block 1 had a number sign in the will as 10. Block 2, had a number sign of 11...
I agree the fridge is like 1/2 of the side by side fridge .The sink is so small and around sink there’s not counter to put dish dryer rack .
The washer and dryer are so small I think it’s 5 kg.The dishwasher is small too almost like counter dishwasher.
The builder wants to close the deal and run.☹️

Hi, for those that have moved in, do you have photo's of the appliances? From what I recall at the model home, I do remember them looking much smaller than a previous Condo I had, but with several mentioning the size, I am now curious to see how small they actually are.
thanks
If you dont mind. Thanks

Thank you for everyone's sharing of whatever updates and observation you've got.

In one of service@sequoia's e-mail, it was stated that it's possible to still have the builder's activities (fixing and fulfilling this and that) inside the unit even after the occupancy date. It's not something that I would hope for, but it's better than not having the deficiences' being addressed at all.

Antonius

Hi, for those that have moved in, do you have photo's of the appliances? From what I recall at the model home, I do remember them looking much smaller than a previous Condo I had, but with several mentioning the size, I am now curious to see how small they actually are.
thanks
If you dont mind. Thanks
Our observation of the appliances in our unit during the PDI, the stove, fridge, and dishwaster were exactly like the ones shown in the Elgin East Sales Centre located at the corner of Elgin Mills and Leslie (at that time, around 2019).

Yes, the appliances in the presentation centre were all small size. I remember we remarked on it at the time.

Any defects that you notice at the time of occupancy should be well documented and presented to the builder’s service rep asap. According to Tarion, these need to be addressed under warranty even after occupancy. The danger is that after you move in, you (or the movers) might get blamed for anything that is damaged, like wall dings, floor scratches, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, the appliances in the presentation centre were all small size. I remember we remarked on it at the time.

Any defects that you notice at the time of occupancy should be well documented and presented to the builder’s service rep asap. According to Tarion, these need to be addressed under warranty even after occupancy. The danger is that after you move in, you (or the movers) might get blamed for anything that is damaged, like wall dings, floor scratches, etc.
Yes that's what I'm afraid of, the finger pointing. The warranty is very selective and conditional, and it can happen very easily that all the work activities after the PDI but before the occupancy might cause those damages.

Have you seen the e-mail from Aurora Cocja to ALL RESIDENTS in Tower A? I don't think the residents (our neighbours) who have moved in, left the garbage on the floors due to being ignorant. There must be reason why the garbage was left there. Maybe the chute doors wouldn't open, or there might be other challenge that prevented throwing the garbage properly.

Have you seen the e-mail from Aurora Cocja to ALL RESIDENTS in Tower A? I don't think the residents (our neighbours) who have moved in, left the garbage on the floors due to being ignorant. There must be reason why the garbage was left there. Maybe the chute doors wouldn't open, or there might be other challenge that prevented throwing the garbage properly.
Saw it. Just glad she’s getting on top of the issue. Could be items too big or inappropriate for the chute & people are assuming/hoping that maintenance will take care of it.

Can anyone share occupancy/ development fees charged by the builder on closing. Looking for an estimate.

Can anyone share occupancy/ development fees charged by the builder on closing. Looking for an estimate.
In our case, on occupancy the payable amount consisted of the final deposit on the purchase price as listed in the purchase agreement plus the first month’s occupancy fee prorated based on how many days of the month you actually occupy the unit.

The monthly occupancy fee is calculated as the sum of:
1) monthly interest on the outstanding balance of the purchase price calculated based on rate of 7.84%
2) estimate of monthly property tax which in our case was about $370
3) monthly maintenance fee which in our case was about $800.
Our unit is 2 bedroom plus den. Property tax and maintenance fee would depend on the size of the unit.

I understand that development fees will come on actual closing once the building and condo corp are officially registered and you get title.

In our case, on occupancy the payable amount consisted of the final deposit on the purchase price as listed in the purchase agreement plus the first month’s occupancy fee prorated based on how many days of the month you actually occupy the unit.

The monthly occupancy fee is calculated as the sum of:
1) monthly interest on the outstanding balance of the purchase price calculated based on rate of 7.84%
2) estimate of monthly property tax which in our case was about $370
3) monthly maintenance fee which in our case was about $800.
Our unit is 2 bedroom plus den. Property tax and maintenance fee would depend on the size of the unit.

I understand that development fees will come on actual closing once the building and condo corp are officially registered and you get title.
Thank you very much Dave for explaining and sharing about these elements and cost estimate.

Regards,

Antonius

Just want to share with anyone who hasn't got the chance to call Rogers, specifically under the umbrella agreement between Elgin East Inc and Rogers, the number to call is:

1 855 759-5856.

So, only Rogers customer service at this number who's familiar with our Elgin East condo bulk arrangement with Rogers.

Just want to share with anyone who hasn't got the chance to call Rogers, specifically under the umbrella agreement between Elgin East Inc and Rogers, the number to call is:

1 855 759-5856.

So, only Rogers customer service at this number who's familiar with our Elgin East condo bulk arrangement with Rogers.
I’ve been using Rogers for a while. I hope I can port my current Rogers e-mail address over.

I’ve been using Rogers for a while. I hope I can port my current Rogers e-mail address over.
Yes, Rogers already added my 6 David Eyer resident to my existing Rogers account. So, you won't need to have another new account. In your existing account, you will see additional service, but of course there's no additional charge for that new service, since we pay through Elgin East already.

Yes, Rogers already added my 6 David Eyer resident to my existing Rogers account. So, you won't need to have another new account. In your existing account, you will see additional service, but of course there's no additional charge for that new service, since we pay through Elgin East already.
Great! Thanks Antonius.

Back