News   May 08, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.8K     3 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

From my last walk through the Eaton Center I thought I noticed a few vaccines though ... it's hard to tell sometimes, they never have lease signs up.

The spot where the calendar club comes every Christmas is not empty. I think Godiva is moving to near the Queen St. entrance.

H&M is undergoing changes in the Eaton Centre; it looks like the lower level is being expanded in the long, deserted hallway leading to Canadian Tire and the escalator to Ryerson.

So with the expansion in the basement and the new Starbucks at ground level the retail component of the building starts to seem a little more sensible.

So is that part technically part of the Eaton Centre then? And to add to that point, where does the Eaton Centre end and the Ryerson building begin?

I am pretty sure CF either owns the Ryerson/CT/Best Buy building or they joint ventured. CF did the initial lease up there

So with the expansion in the basement and the new Starbucks at ground level the retail component of the building starts to seem a little more sensible.
Where exactly is this Starbucks going?

So is that part technically part of the Eaton Centre then? And to add to that point, where does the Eaton Centre end and the Ryerson building begin?
The Eaton Centre includes everything to the Canadian Tire on Bay Street. Ryerson "I think" leases from Cadillac Fairview the school above (or possibly it's a joint venture).

According TorontoLife, European retailer TopShop is in talks with The Bay on Queen to open a store within a store, GoodLife Fitness also in talks. TorontoLife & Toronto Star report Target is planning on entering canada in 2013.

What's the word on the street regarding TopShop...is the Bay opportunity wishful thinking?

The Square One leasing plan has been updated on Oxford's website. Turns out Bedo is moving into the spot vacated by Buffalo, Buffalo is moving into where F/X La Salle used to be, and Roots is now beside Laura. The former Roots, Fine Gold and SOYC are all unlabelled, and I think we can assume that the former Bedo store will be combined with those units to form one larger unit (or merge the units from 4 units to 2 or something along those lines).

I can imagine Target taking over Zellers but if not, the expansion would be a pain in the neck to find a decent location for its stores.

Possibly, but I think Zellers has more unappealing locations than appealing ones, and converting those to Targets would be a huge pain. Of course, they could do the Woolco>Walmart thing and take them over with the intent to relocate the bad stores in a few years. But there are still plenty of locations out there still if they wanted to come in solo, a la Lowe's.

I think Zellers has a lot of good locations, especially since the ones I'm thinking of are former Eaton's locations (i.e. Square One and Erin Mills).

Back