News   May 22, 2024
 661     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 520     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 417     0 

New look for the Victoria Park subway station (Brown and Storey)

Cool! I love your pictures and videos. I visited the Station Today, it was dark though so i couldn't see if there was anything interesting going on, other than some work on the inside of the closed of section on the station.

Anyone know if they're going to re-tile the platform area? I'd hate to see perfect tiles and the sand blasted name gone... Broke my heart to see parts of the name still intact on the edges of the new windows, although an improvement light and aesthetic wise....sacrifices...

Cool! I love your pictures and videos. I visited the Station Today, it was dark though so i couldn't see if there was anything interesting going on, other than some work on the inside of the closed of section on the station.

Anyone know if they're going to re-tile the platform area? I'd hate to see perfect tiles and the sand blasted name gone... Broke my heart to see parts of the name still intact on the edges of the new windows, although an improvement light and aesthetic wise....sacrifices...

No they aren't going to retile Vic Park. They are going to sandblast a tree root design into the existing tile however.

Pape Station, on the other hand, is going to be retiled completely at platform level.

I hate this. The Bloor Danforth line's unique aesthetic has always, to me, defined the Toronto subway. To see it destroyed, much the same way the original Yonge line was destroyed 20 years ago, breaks my heart too. Others think it's ugly, but riding the Bloor-Danforth line evokes feelings of a time when Toronto was still small, young and developing. History being destroyed for cheap gimmicky designs that will become outdated within 5 years and no one gives a crap!

Last edited:
Oh boy thats good to hear that they're keeping the tiles at Victoria park. Although its unfortunate about pape, i also visited Pape Yesterday, and some tiles have been removed on the westbound platform :(

I can't find any official details on the modernizations besides the basic info on the TTC site. I guess if they're changing the tiles atleast just the TTC fony instead of fake helvetica or whats it called the font spammed on the retiles Y-U-S line?

The original Bloor-Danforth station design has its strengths and weaknesses. It generally lacks interesting variations in materials and architecture, art, landscaping, and natural light in some cases where it was possible like at Victoria Park or Keele.

But it wasn't without its strengths like the font and signage and the functional simplicity of the design. Plus it actually looks quite good in black and white tiles like High Park or with the stations which lack centre pillars like Keele. I prefer the enhancement of these stations rather than destruction. Victoria Park may turn out well as a renovated and enhanced version of the original, but I was also disappointed to see the new windows punctured through the wall with the original station name.

Great pictures as always drum!

Junctionist- I agree with you! the simplicity and obvious toughness and durability of the B-D stations is awesome.

Something that would really make me mad besides them NOT using the TTC font is the abondoning of Sandblasting the name into the tiles. I mean, look at the plastic panel monstrosity at St. Andrew, Osgoode, and all the Sheppard Stations.

For me its sandblasted, or nothing, no plastic or metal painted Panels!

There is a mention of the Victoria Park Station in the literature called Transit City Bus Plan. On page 49 of this document this TCBP booklet wants to add $1.4 million so that the north/south bus platform will have a sheltered waiting area to add comfort for us commuters.

Well at the end of october they said the new Albion entrance would be open by november 15th.. then it was shifted to late november. It doesn'y look like the new entrance will be open anytime soon... I guess they're behind schedule...

Well at the end of october they said the new Albion entrance would be open by november 15th.. then it was shifted to late november. It doesn'y look like the new entrance will be open anytime soon... I guess they're behind schedule...

You need to look back a few pages as we already talked about it. All my posting show where construction is.

Not sure where you getting your info from, but there been a number of changes at Commissioners levels that adding more work and $$ to this project as well delays. I have always said it would not open this year.

I would be surprise if the entrance opens before Spring 2010.

I would like to see some of those windows on the south side as they would let the sun in making the station even brighter than it is now. There will be one where the elevator connects to the platform.

There is a mention of the Victoria Park Station in the literature called Transit City Bus Plan. On page 49 of this document this TCBP booklet wants to add $1.4 million so that the north/south bus platform will have a sheltered waiting area to add comfort for us commuters.

That has been approved by the Commissioners and is now part of this project waiting for you on opening day.

You need to look back a few pages as we already talked about it. All my posting show where construction is.

Not sure where you getting your info from, but there been a number of changes at Commissioners levels that adding more work and $$ to this project as well delays. I have always said it would not open this year.

I would be surprise if the entrance opens before Spring 2010.

I would like to see some of those windows on the south side as they would let the sun in making the station even brighter than it is now. There will be one where the elevator connects to the platform.

From their website: http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects_and_initiatives/Station_modernization/Victoria_Park.jsp

What to Expect from October to December 2009:

completion of the new Albion entrance (expected opening date is late November 2009);
•completion of canopies (low and high levels) in the new bus terminal;
•completion of road widening on the west side of Victoria Park Avenue from Denton Avenue to Crescent Town Road;
•completion of the retaining wall at the TTC/30 Denton property line;
•completion of the elevated walkway north of the station;
•continuation of work on the new Teesdale Place entrance;
•construction of the six bus platforms, and commencement of work on the bus loop/roadway;
•commencement of road widening work on the east side of Victoria Park Avenue and the new bus exit; and
•commencement of work on interior station finishes and elevators.

I've seen your videos quite fond of them. When is the next video ? :)

Last edited:
drum118 posted a new video on youtube, I'll visit the station on the weekend. They really did those street level windows quickly! I hope people don't start scratching or writing all over then, that would make me so mad....

And the busbay concrete is also being poured yay!

drum118 posted a new video on youtube, I'll visit the station on the weekend. They really did those street level windows quickly! I hope people don't start scratching or writing all over then, that would make me so mad....

And the bus bay concrete is also being poured yay!

Dec 01-09
Bus Bay supposed to open in Feb and I cannot see why not without getting inside to see what internal work still has to be done.

New stair was been form to connect the new wider sidewalk at the top of Albion to the mid level walkway to the new stair to the station. A fair amount of back fill still has to take place as well fencing.

Glazing is supposed to start next week on the stair. New wider glazing windows are been installed to replace the existing windows. Steel framing is going up in the bus area to support the new heavy glazing in the station bus area.

New stair handrail been installed on the north side. Handrail brackets been installed to the walkway fencing, but there is no east end area at this time considering the forming has been in place for over a month for some on known reason. A new wide walkway is haft built to the entrance from the stair

I had to laugh when told TTC wanted the bus bay open in Sept and expected the Albion entrance open on Dec 01. Does anyone onnnnnne in TTC construction department know what a project manager is supposed know and do as they are soooooo out of touch as to what is going on around them. Been at this far too long to know better.

The concrete barrier for the bus driveway is finish except a section at the south end and that should be finish next week. The driveway should be pour to Victoria Park this week leaving the small south end to be done after the barrier is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL-pG8feCyI

Back