News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

More Lost Toronto in colour

I wish the Confederation Life Building would reclaim its original roofline.

I agree. The old pics show how truncated the central tower is today (and out of proportion). Another two views:
View.jpg

Confederation_Life_Bldg_1890.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. The old pics show how truncated the central tower is today (and out of proportion). Another two views:
View.jpg

Confederation_Life_Bldg_1890.jpg

What an instructive postcard - not just for showing the grand, original look of the Confederation Life building, but for revealing how effectively rows of similar, polite red brick buildings on streets such as Lombard ( ? ) once defined the character of the city. A fairly modest existing form was expanded, creating continuity and a strong presence for the city as a whole, and jarring discontinuity was apparently considered bad form.

That central tower is a confection really and could only have been removed for structural/maintenance rather than aesthetic reasons imho. I'm imagining the ladder and trapdoor that opened up into it. What a great place it must have been to smoke cigars and talk about the Boer war.

Last edited:
That central tower is a confection really and could only have been removed for structural/maintenance rather than aesthetic reasons imho.

Somehow, I'm under the impression that it all may have been truncated as early as the 1930s--by which time aesthetics might well have acted in concert with structural/maintenance requirements. Victorian excess, you know.

fantastic ephemera!
also, thanks for posting those hand painted images--really extraordinary. are they printed on glass? they look kind of translucent...

Not sure. I got them all off of Wikimedia Commons and most of them are from the McCord Museum in Montreal (some are from the New Brunswick Museum). Here are a few more from the 1890's and 1900's:

The Harbour:
Hand_coloured_view_of_Toronto_Harbo.jpg

Queen's Park:
Queen27s_Park_1890.jpg

George_Brown_Monument2C_Queens_Park.jpg

By the Exhibition Grounds:
621px-Coming_into_Town_in_a_Hurry2C.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure. I got them all off of Wikimedia Commons and most of them are from the McCord Museum in Montreal (some are from the New Brunswick Museum). Here are a few more from the 1890's and 1900's:

The Harbour:
Hand_coloured_view_of_Toronto_Harbo.jpg

Is the Royal Bank building under construction in that picture? (And its presence at all would make the shot post-1910.)

Well, it's in the section on Wilikedia Commons called "Toronto in the 1900's", but when you click on the file number of the photo it dates it as "1900 to 1920". However the Royal York opened in 1929, so the picture may be labelled incorrectly in the museum (if it is the Royal York under construction).

I do have an answer to a previous question from deepend: they are listed in the museum catelogue as "hand-painted lantern slides" so they are literally translucent. Good eye!

Sorry, misread Royal Bank as Royal York (long week...). Similar angle in the well-known painting (the artist's name escapes me but it's on the cover of the book Toronto in Art):

977-44-1.jpg

Back