News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

I agree that Toronto's attitude towards lighting is quite shameful. What ever happened to the lighting for the old CIBC Tower, the old Bank of Nova Scotia and even Simpson's Tower - somebody pulled the plug.

The top of Simpsons is now dark? Don't those clods know the lighting's part of the architectural concept...

Yeah, as if being seen from Nathan Phillips Square doesn't count.

(Though I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they're just installing more "energy-efficient" lighting.)

Yeah, as if being seen from Nathan Phillips Square doesn't count.

(Though I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they're just installing more "energy-efficient" lighting.)

Hopefully you're right. When was the last time you saw it lit up? I was down there a week ago and noticed it was not lit and when I tried to recall the last time I saw it aglow, I sort of drew a blank, though I don't often go down that way of an evening.

Hopefully you're right. When was the last time you saw it lit up? I was down there a week ago and noticed it was not lit and when I tried to recall the last time I saw it aglow, I sort of drew a blank, though I don't often go down that way of an evening.

You're right...I had also forgotten that it ever was lit up!

81414141_628fbf2ece.jpg

Is excessive lighting really a great example to set for the citizens of the city?
Where is this power coming from? It's not free, and it's certainly not great for the environment. Exception should be made for the CN Tower and the buildings in the CBD, but for establishments that aren't open at night, there's no need for lights IMO.

I somehow knew that this viewpoint would come up. There's a balance to be struck between environmentalism and lighting for aesthetic purposes (and other environmentally "evil" things). Decorative LED lighting, especially in a big city, is something that I believe should be used somewhat liberally. The major energy draws, from a lighting perspective, are the interior lighting systems left on needlessly. On a relative scale, exterior lighting draws a rather small portion of overall energy being used, and if we focus so incessantly on things that are even slightly bad for the environment, we might as well all live in complete darkness and revert back to the stone age. A few more buildings with exterior lighting are not going to become a catalyst for some disastrous downfall of the planet.

Toronto in colour 1880's to 1910's:

Gooderham and Worts:
GooderhamAndWorts1800s.jpg

The Ex:
Industrial_fair_1884.jpg

Toronto_Industrial_Exhibition_1888_.jpg

The Globe:
TheGlobe1889-1.jpg

Skyline 1901:
Toronto_1901b.jpg

Yonge north of Queen:
Yonge_Street_north_of_Queen_Street_.jpg

Spadina:
SpadinaAvenueatQueenStreet.jpg

Confederation Life:
Confederation_Life_Building_1912_To.jpg

Victoria College 1895:
Victoria_College_circa_1895.jpg

Normal School:
Hand_coloured_photo_of_Normal_Schoo.jpg

Bloor and Avenue Road:
Department_of_Household_Sciences_Un.jpg

Yonge and Bloor:
YongeBloorToronto.jpg

The Lunatic Asylum, 999 Queen, 1910:
TorontoAsylumQueenStOssington.jpg

The Ex, 1919:
Canadian_National_Exhibition_poster.jpg

Last edited:

I completely forgot as well. I used to see it every night from my window, but after Casa blocked my view, it must have slipped my mind. That's kinda sad that it's not lit anymore.

That Yonge and Queen colorized picture's realism is something else. Heintzman pianos - I'm thinking the pursuit of piano was more common per capita than it is now? I see piano advertisements in many old Toronto pictures. I met a Heintzman socially a few years ago. He was a descendant and had a tuning and refurbishment business. He mentioned that Asian pianos put them under.

Also, the "MEALS 20c" sign is neat.

Last edited:
Also in that picture is the Toronto Rubber Store - which eventually became Lovecraft, I believe.

The old Gooderham & Worts windmill ( second image ) was certainly a waterfront landmark in 1834, wasn't it? A practical, no-nonsense structure where people worked down by the lake, it was every bit as iconic of what the city was then as Corus and Redpath and One Yonge are of today's working city.

Back