908     3 

Mon Sheong Court (Scarborough)

October 11 2008 update

Construction Completed

IMG_2371.jpg

what you said is not very nice...
what's wrong with the name?
first, this building is named after the charity group mon sheong foundation
second, it's a building based on chinese characters that acutally mean something nice
third, does a building always need a phony name that doesn't really mean what it is, such as the emerald tower, the rosewood, or the papillon place??
fourth, if you are making fun of how the words sound, you are also making fun of lots of names with oriental origin!
fifth, toronto is a multi cultural city, you are living in canada!

None of that changes the fact that it is ugly as shit : - )

Is there retail at the base?

That might change my mind a bit.

I'm not so sure that there are retail units at street level (although I'm still hopeful that they are). There are no doors at street level on the McNicoll side of the building. On the Kennedy side there are doors facing the sidewalk, but there seems to be no space for retail signage over the doors. My guess is that the doors are used to access walk-in community services (medical clinics, etc.).

I think these guys backed a similar project somewhere near Richmond Hill center North on Yonge that was just as ugly.

If there's retail and it meets the street well then I'll be happy.
Although we care a lot about the design when it comes down to it how it interacts with the street is really all that matters.

I personally think this buildng serves its purpose quite well because:

(1) it provides a very strong street wall along both Kennedy & McNicholl
(2) the circular drum is well positioned which addresses the intersection and provides an appropriate entrance to the complex

yes there are retail on the ground floor facing Kenndy, these units are to provide a range of medical and health care services, drug store, and convenince stores, nothing drastic like grocery or restaurants

this building is built as a full ownership condo geared towards retirement living with supporting services provided by Mon Sheong Foundation (located immediately to the east), and in fact this building is phyically connected via underground tunnel so that residents can access the senior's community services under a weather protected environment, for that I think this is a great project that contributes to the community

and khristopher ... next time perhaps you should figure out what the name means before you start trashing? it can offend people

Khristopher - your comment can only be construed as racist, and only a fool would not see the potential little firestorm it could create. As comments like that are against UT Conduct rules, please go back and remove it from your post, or you will be removed from UT.

If you remove it, I'll make this and the other replies to it disappear. It's better the keep these project threads clean.

I don't see how the comment can be portrayed as being racist.

Moreover he never implied the name was bad in any way ... he just stated the fact that English wasn't used in the name as is usually the case in Canada. Unfortunately things like these have a bad tendency to be blown way out of portion. Although it seems in the multicultural society we live in today one must be extra vigilant.

Just to make it clear I'm not condoning the comment and I don't think it was necessary but I don't believe it was racist.

Back