News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 898     0 

Mix 99.9 Becomes Virgin Radio Effective Today

Several times this week I've turned on CBC Radio 2 for a few seconds - to confirm the true enormity of their crime. It is almost too dreadful to contemplate. There's often some sort of nasal, twangy, country-sounding rubbish, instead of the wide variety of excellent classical programming they used to provide us with. Then I turn to 96.3, which is awfully schlocky much of the time, and make do. Such a shame what happened.

Well, I guess this is what happens when the generation who only listened to the station for Brave New Waves grows up and takes power...

Well, I guess this is what happens when the generation who only listened to the station for Brave New Waves grows up and takes power...

And that's the point: the narrow compartmentalization of radio listening. Radio 2 provided a venue for ALL KINDS of music and, more importantly, the erudite conversation that informed the listener along with it. One could turn it on in the morning and by late evening have been taken on a journey through much of the history of music. from the ancient to the modern, from the serious to the down right silly. I didn't confine myself to listening only to "Brave New Waves" any more than I confined myself to listening to "Disc Drive". Radio 2 was a unique, eclectic venue and is, sadly to say, to be found no where else.

Even though Radio 2 is becoming Radio Gaga in the original sense that Queen's song was written - as a critique of the decreasing variety of programming and music on the radio - rather than the actually recorded version ( a nostalgic paean to radio in an age of music videos ) we still have concerts, Benc7. Toronto's a grrrreat live music town!

All we hear is radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
Radio blah blah
Radio what's new
?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAVVVMcTShQ

Even though Radio 2 is becoming Radio Gaga in the original sense that Queen's song was written - as a critique of the decreasing variety of programming and music on the radio - rather than the actually recorded version ( a nostalgic paean to radio in an age of music videos ) we still have concerts, Benc7. Toronto's a grrrreat live music town!

Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
Radio goo goo
Radio ga ga
Radio blah blah
Radio what's new
?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAVVVMcTShQ
So apropos and so true! I'm in mourning at the moment, and I'll recover. This IS a great music town and I take advantage of it whenever I can...but at 8:00 am, with coffee in hand and the newspaper spread out, it's CBC 2 I want. Ok, I'm done now. It was very cathartic. Thank you.:)

virgin radio? what is it? some sort of evangelical christain station that promotes abstinence only programming?

I like to call Z103.5 "Whore Radio". It sounds like the kind of radio strippers & whores & pre-Juno underclass teen mom types listen to.
So does virtually all "rhythmic" Top 40 from the past 20 years, for that matter.

I like to call "Zee 103" "Zed 103" and "E-Zee Rock" (97.3) "E-Zed Rock" personally.

Back to Radio 2 for a moment though...

The CBC only has two English signals and any attempt to get more from the CRTC hasn't been successful (which is why Radio 3 is internet and Sirius only). Therefore, is it really fair that one of those signals should be completely devoted to classical music? Ideally, if our pubcaster were funded like the BBC, we'd have six English radio services and one would be fully classical. However, with two signals I find it quite amazing that there's people in this country who feel one of those two publically-funded signals should be all classical all the time.

CBC Radio 2 wasn't "completely devoted to classical music" before the cuts - the classics have been reduced from 12 hours a day to five. The CBC has also decided to restrict the format to the "accessible" classics.

But CFMZ 96.3 is already providing that kind of pleasant, entry-level classical music 24 hours a day - suitable for newbies to the genre or people who want familiar, happy-happy classics as background music while they potter around the house all day. What is lost, as Benc7 indicates, is anything that's at all challenging, or new, and informed discussion of it.

It's The Cheapening applied to the cultural scene.

For a publicly-funded national broadcaster to downgrade their committment to the music that our great symphony orchestras play, that our opera companies and choirs and chamber musicians perform, that a large and growing audience goes to live concerts to hear, that represents us qualitatively on the international stage, and that students are drawn from all over the world study to our conservatories to learn to play, strikes many of us as very shortsighted.

I'm hardly a classical afficianado, so I can't comment on the quality of the classics on the new 2 to be quite honest. If indeed they've been "dumbed down" than I can understand your objections.

However, classical music is still the most-played genre on Radio 2 and there's a new dedicated internet stream for the classics as well.

I do continue to stand by my point though that Radio 2 should be broadly based and appeal to a wide range of music fans and play a wide variety of music not generally heard of commercial radio. We all pay into this thing and it should be reflective of us.

Yesterday in the 'hood - CBC's midday classical ghetto - the announcer broke in after the largo of Dvorak's 9th: Yo, homeys, two movements to go, don't roll out yet. Duh! As if we would. Then we got a quick plug for Radio 2, like it was a real commercial station. Cool beans!

Back