News   May 09, 2024
 28     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 

miWay Transit

I think by 24 hour service we mean 24/7. Not 24 hours on weekdays. No one is going to clubs on Monday and Tuesday. The 24 hour service is needed for the weekend.

If the bars close at 2 AM and the last MT 1 Dundas leaves Islington Subway at 1:55 AM, how does one get home without a time machine?

We don't want to drive and drive, but how can we if there is no 24/7 transit service in each and every GTA city?

Easy. Don't wait until the bars close. Or take a cab.

What about night-shift workers who commute every day at around this time? Not reasonable to expect them to take a cab every single day.

What about night-shift workers who commute every day at around this time? Not reasonable to expect them to take a cab every single day.

I would prefer MT spend its limited funds on increasing capacity for the much larger numbers of day-shift workers who experience severely crowded buses and "closed door" situations on a daily basis. But I guess that's just me.

And considering that Dundas already has service 22-23 hours per weekday, I don't don't see why you people have to make a big fuss over the late night service, or the seeming lack thereof.

I would prefer MT spend its limited funds on increasing capacity for the much larger numbers of day-shift workers who experience severely crowded buses and "closed door" situations on a daily basis. But I guess that's just me.

And considering that Dundas already has service 22-23 hours per weekday, I don't don't see why you people have to make a big fuss over the late night service, or the seeming lack thereof.

I guess your lack of vision shows why people can't rely on public transit when they want to go out and have a life.

Honestly, how much would it cost to run a few buses along Dundas through the dead of night? They'd only need maybe one or two buses an hour. I think if anything it's that MT is lazy.

I guess your lack of vision shows why people can't rely on public transit when they want to go out and have a life.

It's not my lack of vision that is at fault. It's people's fault for living in the suburbs. Mississauga is not a night life mecca.

I'll support a late night bus network when the huge gaps in the daytime bus network are filled in and I am allowed to connect to the Dixie and Tomken buses; when the Mavis, Britannia and Creditview buses are given a better midday frequency than just 35 or 36 minutes; when people stop being passed by at the stop because the bus is full; etc. Otherwise, a new late night service would be just a slap in the face.

Honestly, how much would it cost to run a few buses along Dundas through the dead of night? They'd only need maybe one or two buses an hour.

A late night Dundas bus would not let you get home though would it? There would need to be a late night Creditview bus as well. Adding just one or two late night bus routes is not going to serve many people.

A late night Dundas bus would not let you get home though would it? There would need to be a late night Creditview bus as well. Adding just one or two late night bus routes is not going to serve many people.
Everything has to start somewhere. Take a look at an old Blue Night map, like this one. Note how the suburban transit services consist of Yonge, Bloor, Danforth, and Lakeshore, with nothing else to cover the other huge expanse. Sure, there is dense service downtown, but Toronto actually has a downtown that's active after dark. Eventually, this was changed to the system we know when it became clear that there was the ridership to justify it.

MT should start with, say, Dundas and Hurontario running 24/7, then slowly add routes once they're justified until they have a decent web of night operations. The service wouldn't have to be frequent. It would just have to be run well enough to guarantee connections.

It's not my lack of vision that is at fault. It's people's fault for living in the suburbs. Mississauga is not a night life mecca.

I'll support a late night bus network when the huge gaps in the daytime bus network are filled in and I am allowed to connect to the Dixie and Tomken buses; when the Mavis, Britannia and Creditview buses are given a better midday frequency than just 35 or 36 minutes; when people stop being passed by at the stop because the bus is full; etc. Otherwise, a new late night service would be just a slap in the face.

On the contrary, if 1 and 19 ran 24/7, they would help a lot. I could take the bus to either: Dundas & Wolfedale or to Hurontario & Britannia. I think the latter would be closer. The point is, it gets you much farther, even if not to your doorstep. And closer is better than nowhere near. Plus, most people could use the 1 or 19 and get relatively close to their destination. Hurontario is the split between east and west Mississauga. Dundas is a little far south, but it's still a good starting point. After taking a MT late night bus, most could either A) walk the rest of the way (even if it is a half-hour to an hour walk) B) cab the rest of the way (much cheaper than cabbing from Islington/Kipling) or C) get picked up from the closest all-night bus location.

Just because Mississauga isn't a clubbing scene doesn't mean people in Mississauga don't want to have lives.

Seriously doady, you seem to have a thing against people having fun, enjoying themselves, and being able to use public transit to prevent drinking and driving. You think people should drink and drive after 2 am? Cuz I for one think it's unreasonable that the bars close at 2, but there's no public transit after that time. How the hell does the city expect to curb drunk driving in that case? It's extremely hypocritical.

MT Routes 74, 43, 62 and 37 are on the chopping block for 2009 based
on today budget meeting.

37 only carries 30 riders a day and that is poor. My views on 74 are
known and it should never made it to the road. 62 has been on the hit
list for sometime and this is a GO feeder bus that has poor ridership.
Surprise 63 wasn't on the list as it been on the same list for cut for
some time.

The ward councilor had a fit when 37 and 43 surface. Wait tell she has
to deal with the 8.

MT has only seen 1.5% increase of ridership over 2007 and reinforce
this is car city and transit is poor.

Cash fare goes to $3. Ticket goes up $.10 and weekly pass $1 for 2009
and 2010 which has been the standard rate for the last 9/10 years

Council has asked for a list of the bottom 20 routes as well what are
the routes waiting for upgrading. Council wants a look at if more
routes should be cut now and I will yes there are. They want a list of
routes that have close doors and how often.

We will finally get at look at real cost ratio for various routes as
well ridership numbers.

I have already recommended #8 between Clarkson and Port Credit go to
cab service after 7pm. 6 cease to operate between Creditview and Sq
One after 7 as well on the weekend. 65 and 68 need major overhaul. 67
only operates as a feeder to 19 only, not Sq One. #25 can be combine
with 67.

The city only could find $8m with another $1m that maybe added at a
later date to be cut to keep the tax increase under 5%. It is 4.7% in
2009 and 7.2% in 2010. Council is only talking about a 3% increase and
are in dreamland.........OH!!!!...........Election budget.

Staff made some recommendation for cuts, and were removed by Council.
Not surprise at this as I would not cut some of them. City Service
cuts were put on the table and council was not happy seeing them there
in the first place since staff was not supporting the cuts in the
first place.

The barrel is empty of crumbs and the city is going to have to go to a
higher tax rate without doing major damage to the city. There was a
call to close all library on Monday as well the weekend. Sheridan is
been looked at to be close down and this will depend on getting a
better lease with the mall.

Council also agree to take a 10% cut from their office budget that
will be $22,000 in total plus the mayor cost. It can go back up in 2010.

This is a nickle and dime budget with no real meat to eat.

No idea on service cuts for MT and council wants to see this in
written form when MT reports back to council in a few weeks.

As a note, I saw 884 on 328 yesterday with 5 riders while on a 3W bus.
Very sad.

The funny thing about this is the infrastructure fund that still has
to be added on, yet city staff has not talked to the taxpayers group
on this and Transportation and works is going to defer rebuilding
sidewalks, curves and patching. Talking out both sides of their mouth
on the infrastructure mess considering it was the city who built the
urban sprawl and low density area, not the Sr levels.

In my opinion, all the following routes should be redsigned or eliminated:

All GO shuttles: 32, 43, 46A, 49A, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64
These are useless. Cancel them all.

27, 70, 82/82A, 89
The 89 will even more redundant if 39 is extended and the next pre-rapid transit route comes into service. The 27, 70, 82 are merely return trips of the 89 - all should be eliminated also. However, the 35 will need MUCH higher frequency to be able to handle the loads of the 89, which is probably the most overcrowded route in Mississauga.

12, 17, 30, 47, 50, 65, 74
Redundant. Can all be eliminated easily.

45 and 67
Useless outside of rush hour. Should be rush hour only.

Should be split into two routes

Too many closed doors north of UTM and empty buses south of UTM. I suggest adding an 110A for service north of UTM so that they can take the artics off this route and reduce service south of UTM.

27, 70, 82/82A, 89
The 89 will even more redundant if 39 is extended and the next pre-rapid transit route comes into service. The 27, 70, 82 are merely return trips of the 89 - all should be eliminated also. However, the 35 will need MUCH higher frequency to be able to handle the loads of the 89, which is probably the most overcrowded route in Mississauga.

45 and 67

Too many closed doors north of UTM and empty buses south of UTM. I suggest adding an 110A for service north of UTM so that they can take the artics off this route and reduce service south of UTM.

I agree with most of what you said, except about the 89. I think the 89 is one of the most crowded routes because it's one of the best routes to take. If you want to get rid of it, you better be damned sure that whatever replaces it is going to do the same job the 89 did.

27, 70, 82/82A, 89

45 and 67

I said before 110 hit the road ridership is non existing south of UTM and it should be scrap. So far I have been proven right.

As for 8, I see 3 routes. If council wants to retain west of PC, then service has to decrease.

61 and 61A needs to be reline with one going straight down Mavis and bypass Sq One and the other as is. 61A should stay on Mavis.

If MT ran a bus by Thomas-Bristol-Kennedy-Matheson, you could cut 76-68. You would still have to run some thing west of Kennedy to Terry Fox for Matheson. This becomes another east-west service to service the Dixie-401 north area without going to Sq One or Eglinton. It would provide better service to the 2 arenas that don't see good service now.

45 will (hope) to be a better line once more development take place along it.

65 would go the route it does now, but go north on Terry Fox north of Britannia that is currently service by 38 and keep 38 on CreditView 100%

10 needs to stop using GO like it did before it got change and a GO shuttle be use in it's place or by Thomas-Bristol-Kennedy-Matheson route.

Back