News   May 21, 2024
 302     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 300     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

Mississauga Update - Nov 27

Anyway, Roch5220 was referring to the stretch of Hurontario that most resembles a highway.

He was? Seems to me he was referring to Hurontario in Mississauga, not Caledon. I would hardly say it resembles a highway just because it carries a lot of traffic.

Scarberian you said that as long as Highway 10 signs still exist that we can still call it Highway 10? Well I don't live too close to Hurontario, but every street sign I see says Hurontario Street on it. I would think all the old Highway 10 signs are gone by now, but there may still be some random ones in Mississauga leftover. The vast majority of Mississaugans call it Hurontario Street. And it was years before I even knew Dundas Street was ever called Highway 5.

Even google maps calls it Hurontario- all the way to Orangville in fact (Main Street doesn't count b/c that's just the work of cranky Bramptonians who don't like the fact we named it first)

I never used to, but I think I'll start calling it Highway 10 all the time just to bug Mississaugans...then y'all should respond by refusing to acknowledge "Highway 10" until usage dies away.

He was? Seems to me he was referring to Hurontario in Mississauga, not Caledon. I would hardly say it resembles a highway just because it carries a lot of traffic.

Its just a difference between new and old. People from Mississauga starting from the 70s and early 80s still refer to 'hurontario' as hwy 10.

Not that I think wikipedia is the ultimate source, just a quick reference guide on for discussion that has no meaning, they even point to the reference as such:

"One oddity about Hurontario Street is that, even in the cities of Mississauga and Brampton, (with the exception of the latter's downtown area) it's commonly referred to solely as "Highway 10", rather than by its street names--a situation made even more peculiar by the fact that the provincial highway designation is defunct in these cities. The most likely reason for this is that the areas along the road were developed during the suburban era after its identity as a highway was firmly entrenched."

Hence, with the exception of 'downtown brampton', is still widely accepted as hwy10, plus, its quicker to type. If 'hurontario' was quicker to type then hwy10, then I would be using the former.

vast majority of Mississaugans call it Hurontario Street

That is pure speculation and not fact. The 'vastness' of the majority of pre 1990 residents, especially in the older established areas like port credit, clarkson, etc. (vs. the new areas like @ and around MCC and Erin Mills, subdivisions and condos) hwy 10 will be entrenched. The new condo No1 City Centre, definately the 'vast' majority there will call it Hurontario.

Anyways, who cares. People like me will still be calling things by its original name, the name that we are familiar with. The 'rogers centre' will always be the skydome, just like how some who live in the almagamated city, still refer to their own borough as a distinct city. Big whoops, we all know what they are referring to.

It was easier in Brampton to call it Highway 10, as it has two names - Main Street in the old Town of Brampton boundaries, and Hurontario outside of them (just like it's Queen Street rather than Mississauga Road in the old Streetsville boundaries). Hurontario Street came before Highway 10, and was part of that early road system that pre-dates the concession plan. Now that most references to Highway 10 are gone (thank you, Harris and Palladini!), these directions don't work so well.

Queen Street East of 410 is still well-known as Highway 7, oldtimers call Bovaird west of 410 Highway 7 Bypass. I still like to call "Heritage Road" 5th Line West (legally, it is 5th Line W.H.S. - a legacy of imposing the concession system on the original road network).

In Toronto, these pre-concession roads include Danforth Road, Kingston Road, Yonge Street, Albion Road, Davenport Road, Dundas Street; Other fairly well-known ones include Elora Road, old Highway 8 in Niagara, Garafraxa Road (Highway 6 north of Guelph), Huron Road (Highway 8 between Stratford and Goderich), and so on.

"One oddity about Hurontario Street is that, even in the cities of Mississauga and Brampton, (with the exception of the latter's downtown area) it's commonly referred to solely as "Highway 10", rather than by its street names--a situation made even more peculiar by the fact that the provincial highway designation is defunct in these cities. The most likely reason for this is that the areas along the road were developed during the suburban era after its identity as a highway was firmly entrenched."

Guess what? I wrote that. Seriously!

People like me will still be calling things by its original name, the name that we are familiar with.

But as has already been pointed out, Hurontario IS the original name. Hwy 10 might be what you're familiar with, and that's fine, but ask some younger Mississaugans where Hwy 10 is and they'll give you a blank look. Hwy 410 they could tell you, but not 10. Hurontario might not be the easiest name to type out on a keyboard, but it has a certain elegance to it....Hurontario: the street linking Lake Huron to Lake Ontario.

^ No crap. As I already mentioned that pre 90s residents whoud know it as Mississauga. You really like going in loops eh?

Guess what? I wrote that. Seriously!

Really. Than if you already know about the interchanging use of the Hurontario/hwy10, then I'm surprised you give a dam when people use both.

Really. Than if you already know about the interchanging use of the Hurontario/hwy10, then I'm surprised you give a dam when people use both.

I wrote it to point out the anomoly of calling a major city street a highway, that's all.

Highways pass through major cities and towns all over the place. Ontario is pretty much an exception to the rule. Just because a road may have a name and a number doesn't mean that it must have all the characteristics of a high speed, long distance, rural roadway, while within a city.

A highway designation (in this case former because 410 is meant to take the trans-provincial traffic) just means that the street is part of a greater whole.

Where my parents live the main road through town is called both Goderich Street and Highway 21. Everyone knows both names and uses them interchangably. Why does that kind of thing seem so bizarre to you?

flexible 42

Transportfan, why not just remove the references in the Wikipedia and refuse to acknowledge Highway 10 as anything other than an archaic name? That way, you'll help common usage shift completely to Hurontario.

Back