News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I wonder, do you take requests for a Then & Now?

In this article on the Parliament Street newspaper site ( http://pstreetnews.com/news/cabbagetown-restaurants-yesteryear )there appears to be a picture of Dundas & Sherbourne. Is it the True Love Cafe? And if so, what does the TLC look like nowadays?

georgeimage2.jpg

[edit - rusty geography; confused Queen & Sherb with Dundas & Sherb]

George’s Spaghetti House was at Sherbourne and Dundas (nw corner). My husband and I went there (once) when we were dating (it seemed exotic in 1969 Toronto – free jazz and a cockroach crawling up the wall!). According to Google street view it’s now the True Love Cafe.

Sure, whenever we can. :)

R1239349.jpg

This building at Queen/Sherbourne (attached Google image) appears to be rather similar in design.
Also looks as though it won't be around for long.
Wonder when it will be demolished - perhaps already?

Attachments

• Queen-Sherbourne.jpg
    Queen-Sherbourne.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 365
A couple of still working old neon signs I came across lately.

R1239345.jpg

PC132816.jpg

A 'Time Capsule' on Dundas West for our Goldie.

PC132810.jpg

This place is closed up, looking inside it like Carnavon into Tut's tomb; I realized it won't stay this way forever; scoot over for a peek if you're in the nabe.

I'll be back January 2; have a Happy New Year everyone.

By the way, this is a repost... the first one disappeared at midday. UserNameToronto's post went poof too. Do the mods know what happened? Software hiccup? I hope we didn't displease the powers-that-be. :)

Last edited:
A couple of still working old neon signs I came across lately.

R1239345.jpg

PC132816.jpg

A 'Time Capsule' on Dundas West for our Goldie.

PC132810.jpg

This place is closed up, looking inside it like Carnavon into Tut's tomb; I realized it won't stay this way forever; scoot over for a peek if you're in the nabe.

I'll be back January 2; have a Happy New Year everyone.

By the way, this is a repost... the first one disappeared at midday. UserNameToronto's post went poof too. Do the mods know what happened? Software hiccup? I hope we didn't displease the powers-that-be. :)

“Try a lap dance” in neon lights displeased the censorship board?

PC132810.jpg

This place is closed up, looking inside it like Carnavon into Tut's tomb; I realized it won't stay this way forever; scoot over for a peek if you're in the nabe....

Lost my reply as well.

The Quality Inn is open, sort of, late nights on weekends. He does a decent trade in adventure seeking hipsters willing to pay $5 for an Export in a living museum of sorts. That said, I went in a few years ago (my father who had a summer job two doors over at Boldon's Hardware in the 50's) used to eat his lunch there, and had quite a surprise to find out it was the same guy. Unchanged interior too, although a little worse for wear.

Lost my reply as well.

The Quality Inn is open, sort of, late nights on weekends. He does a decent trade in adventure seeking hipsters willing to pay $5 for an Export in a living museum of sorts. That said, I went in a few years ago (my father who had a summer job two doors over at Boldon's Hardware in the 50's) used to eat his lunch there, and had quite a surprise to find out it was the same guy. Unchanged interior too, although a little worse for wear.

Earlscourt_Lad, I do remember your post about this awhile back.

Last week, it certainly looked closed for good. I mean... it was filthy inside.

Sounds like the last Authentic Old School Experience In Toronto.

I mean, if you want safe, and hip,... there's always the Drake. :)

Earlscourt_Lad, I do remember your post about this awhile back.

Ha! I've been around here long enough that I'm starting to get repetitive...:eek:

I think the place is ripe for the "Lakeview" treatment. New paint, a refurb on the woodwork, and you've got a perfect restaurant space for that area.

Mapping the London Blitz. Oct 7 1940 - June 6 1941.

http://bombsight.org/#12/51.5049/-0.0901

For more on the Blitz and what it did on a neighbourhood scale, take a look at this episode of Time Team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buS8203B1Dg

Found this interesting comment on the page: "Something very cool: Go to Google Maps, type in 'Shoreditch Park London UK'. Zoom in to the north end of the park, south of Poole St. You can actually see in the park the crop marks (lines in the grass) of the former house foundations and the former Dorchester St running between Bridgeport Place and New North Rd."

Ha! I've been around here long enough that I'm starting to get repetitive...:eek:

I think the place is ripe for the "Lakeview" treatment. New paint, a refurb on the woodwork, and you've got a perfect restaurant space for that area.

or for movies, like the Lakeview...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/09/info-booth-seeing-stars-on-dundas-west/

"The Lakeview restaurant on Dundas Street West seems to be a popular spot for film and television productions. Often when I’m driving by, I see cameras and bright lights set up outside the diner. What makes this place such a draw for Hollywood?"

This building at Queen/Sherbourne (attached Google image) appears to be rather similar in design.
Also looks as though it won't be around for long.
Wonder when it will be demolished - perhaps already?

Still around, though the condo project that was meant to retain/restore it is in limbo.

1162 Bay Street
Was this not eventually Toronto Scout House in the 60's? I remember the address, but not the look of the building

This is a great part of Toronto's Scouting history!! I'm a member of a Toronto scout group (the 3rd in the King/Dunn area, and used to be in George's group about a decade ago (62nd at Dovercourt/Bloor). I would love to see more about Toronto's Scouting past! If I myself find something, I'll post!

This is a great part of Toronto's Scouting history!! I'm a member of a Toronto scout group (the 3rd in the King/Dunn area, and used to be in George's group about a decade ago (62nd at Dovercourt/Bloor). I would love to see more about Toronto's Scouting past! If I myself find something, I'll post!

You may find this Toronto 'Scouting' site to be quite interesting:

http://www.campofthecrookedcreek.com/

Back