News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

When we moved to England (1970) we bought two shipping trunks at the Jarvis/Queen store. Didn’t it used to be called Army Navy Surplus or something like that? When we returned to Canada two years later, Harrods shipped the trunks back for us – gift-wrapped in burlap, all stitched up tight. I remember the Hercules store – a fascinating dark and dingy destination smelling of old khaki.

When we moved to England (1970) we bought two shipping trunks at the Jarvis/Queen store. Didn’t it used to be called Army Navy Surplus or something like that? When we returned to Canada two years later, Harrods shipped the trunks back for us – gift-wrapped in burlap, all stitched up tight. I remember the Hercules store – a fascinating dark and dingy destination smelling of old khaki.

They still sell trunks there. I suppose nowadays you would have to ship them as some kind of freight. I almost moved to Spokane WA once; our whole household would have gone by truck.

'old khaki' - I remember something like old canvas; same thing I suppose.

Then and Now for January 7, 2013.

Then. Queen and Augusta, SE corner. c1920. Another wwwebster sourced picture.

898QueenAugustaSEc1920.jpg

Now. June 2012.

899.jpg

Do you mean King and Jarvis?

2007-09-02-1153-57.jpg

I’m pretty sure it was Queen and Jarvis... the building looked the same as now (just a different name) with the entrance on the corner, not on Jarvis.

Re moving and trunks... we flew to England, the trunks went by ship – a slow boat, apparently, it took two months. Our landlady provided bedding and dishes (Spode!) in the meantime, so it was all good.

"Then. Queen and Augusta, SE corner. c1920. Another wwwebster sourced picture."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

"You guys" as opposed to "Y'all" must again suffer my gratitude re the above Dominion Bank pic, although not only

have I seen it before, but did print three copies:

1) One for my father and one for his brother before they died, 95 & 97 years respectively.
2) One for my own records.

This branch, oft refered to as the First Branch of the Dominion Bank and also that of the first branch of any chartered bank in

Canada is true only in the second "fact". The actual First Bank Branch was indeed of The Dominion Bank, but was farther to the

east, close to but easterly from Peter Street, south side, Queen Street. (c 1873)

Another "problem" now rears it's head in that this above branch was not built at Queen & Augusta at all, it being constructed at

Queen & North Market Streets, s/e! (c 1877)

Ha!

I don't know when the name change came about, but North Market Street began at Richmond Street and ended at Queen, only

then did Esther Street begin to it's north from Queen Street, later both to be known as Augusta Avenue, but not before Market Street

having become named Esther. - Clear as mud!

The question of "Why does he know all of this" becomes quite clear when I now mention that my grandfather not only worked at

the above branch (and another at the Western Cattle Market - 144 Niagara Street.) but for a time did inhabit that very building.

Now, things go from bad to worse, to "worser", to the worst.

His name was TEX. He may have arrived fron Texas, I don't really remember, but he did roll his own cigs - one handed. This pinch

of info was relayed to me by my father when he & I ventured to meet Sam Sherman (Sherman Hardware - s/w corner) and relive

a bit of the past. Everything else aside, Mr Sherman was quite a man in his own right, having reached past the age of 100, outliving

not only his brothers, but wife and all? of his children!

Back to TEX.

Behind, south of the bank, was The Dominion Bank's Head Office Garage where the bank's drivers were stationed; this is where my

father had first met with TEX. Just to solidify my father's memory, and having as a client the former and last Chair of the Executive

Committee of The Dominion Bank, Mr J Allen Ross, I put the question to him - Do you remember TEX, and did he . . . ?

Y'all know what his answer was.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Then and Now for January 7, 2013.

Then. Queen and Augusta, SE corner. c1920. Another wwwebster sourced picture.

898QueenAugustaSEc1920.jpg

The "main" branch, SW corner of King and Yonge, in 1879 (TPL):

pictures-r-2024.jpg

And in 1903:

f1568_it0368.jpg

Replaced by the current building in 1914:

Dominion_Bank_Toronto_Canada.jpg
pcr-2206.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics TheCharioteer!

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
You're welcome JT. And one last image of the old Dominion Bank at King and Yonge, in Bell-Smith's famous 1894 painting called "Lights of a City Street". It's there on the right:

5c766aa780e4b87cd5f80ccb2d409990.jpg

The K&Y one is definitely one of those things that might claim to be "first skyscraper in Toronto" (an arguable point--yet I can't think of anything earlier that could plausibly stake such a claim, and steeples and chimneys don't count)

"Then. Queen and Augusta, SE corner. c1920. Another wwwebster sourced picture."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

"You guys" as opposed to "Y'all" must again suffer my gratitude re the above Dominion Bank pic, although not only

have I seen it before, but did print three copies:

1) One for my father and one for his brother before they died, 95 & 97 years respectively.
2) One for my own records.

This branch, oft refered to as the First Branch of the Dominion Bank and also that of the first branch of any chartered bank in

Canada is true only in the second "fact". The actual First Bank Branch was indeed of The Dominion Bank, but was farther to the

east, close to but easterly from Peter Street, south side, Queen Street. (c 1873)

Another "problem" now rears it's head in that this above branch was not built at Queen & Augusta at all, it being constructed at

Queen & North Market Streets, s/e! (c 1877)

Ha!

I don't know when the name change came about, but North Market Street began at Richmond Street and ended at Queen, only

then did Esther Street begin to it's north from Queen Street, later both to be known as Augusta Avenue, but not before Market Street

having become named Esther. - Clear as mud!

The question of "Why does he know all of this" becomes quite clear when I now mention that my grandfather not only worked at

the above branch (and another at the Western Cattle Market - 144 Niagara Street.) but for a time did inhabit that very building.

Now, things go from bad to worse, to "worser", to the worst.

His name was TEX. He may have arrived fron Texas, I don't really remember, but he did roll his own cigs - one handed. This pinch

of info was relayed to me by my father when he & I ventured to meet Sam Sherman (Sherman Hardware - s/w corner) and relive

a bit of the past. Everything else aside, Mr Sherman was quite a man in his own right, having reached past the age of 100, outliving

not only his brothers, but wife and all? of his children!

Back to TEX.

Behind, south of the bank, was The Dominion Bank's Head Office Garage where the bank's drivers were stationed; this is where my

father had first met with TEX. Just to solidify my father's memory, and having as a client the former and last Chair of the Executive

Committee of The Dominion Bank, Mr J Allen Ross, I put the question to him - Do you remember TEX, and did he . . . ?

Y'all know what his answer was.

Regards,
J T

Sorry JT... what did Mr Sherman say in answer? :)

Last edited:
Then and Now for January 8, 2013.

Then. August 21, 1939. 153 - 155 Strachan Avenue.

900.jpg

Now. July 2012. Those old cottages are long gone; they may have been documented just before their demolition as the present houses seem to be about 1940 vintage. The large handsome house in the back is still there.

901.jpg

Another look at our large handsome house.

902.jpg

Last edited:

Back