News   May 06, 2024
 525     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 528     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Looks like they saved some of the good parts.
Well, yeah; many of them have been reconstituted into the open-air theatre at Guild Inn. (First time I ever saw an actual demolition photo of the old bank, though)

Well, yeah; many of them have been reconstituted into the open-air theatre at Guild Inn. (First time I ever saw an actual demolition photo of the old bank, though)
I should have credited Toronto Star photographer, Boris Spremo for that one, in the TPL Digital Archive.

While I know the TD Centre is generally revered, I've always felt that the 1 storey banking pavillion is such a waste. Especially when you see what was torn down. Of course if you turn towards the north it gets even more depressing when you consider we lost the old Star building for the somewhat generic First Canadian Place. And of course a sterile podium that obliterated the buildings on the NW corner. Seems like an even bigger shame when you consider there was no real reason to tear down the old BMO bldg.

138874.jpg

2011104-fcp-king-bay-1975.jpg

FCP-Sunday-6705.jpg

That late Deco BMO Building would've paired well with the 1950s BNS Building on the NE corner, almost looking like twins.

Now of course I could go further down the wormhole and would bring back the old Mail Building on the NW corner and the Cawthra House on the NE. But alas, we've got what we've got.

The old Bank of Montreal building had a clock at its corner. The new one has an electronic display in the same location. Somehow I like the clock better.

The old Bank of Montreal building had a clock at its corner. The new one has an electronic display in the same location. Somehow I like the clock better.
Agreed, modern digital displays tend to look out of date far more quickly. An elegant clock is timeless.

Because I often get sucked into a TPL archives wormhole, I came across this stunning building that I'd never seen before at 39-43 King Street East. It appears to have suffered a fire if you look carefully, and I'm wondering if it had a very short life. I managed to find 1867 and 189- shots of the same block and it's not present, however you can identify the location from its (also gorgeous) neighbour with the two storey arches at ground level and Dry Goods signage. It appears from the 189- photo, the Dry Goods building was expanded with a matching facade as it is clearly wider than it was in 1867 and now abuts 49 King Street E.

I also didn't realize, based on these shots Leader Lane didn't exist until (I'm assuming) the King Eddie was built, as the block is continuous from Yonge to Church. There's a chance some of this has been covered, but at 1000+ pages my memory is foggy!

105497.jpg

In 1867:

34821.jpg

And 189-

70268.jpg

Now:

king-edward-exterior-1.jpg

Present day this block is occupied by the King Edward Hotel, which is certainly nothing to complain about. That said, what I would give to have some more of our old Georgian and Victorian streetscapes intact. The level of craftsmanship and detailing is often astounding.

Because I often get sucked into a TPL archives wormhole, I came across this stunning building that I'd never seen before at 39-43 King Street East. It appears to have suffered a fire if you look carefully, and I'm wondering if it had a very short life. I managed to find 1867 and 189- shots of the same block and it's not present, however you can identify the location from its (also gorgeous) neighbour with the two storey arches at ground level and Dry Goods signage. It appears from the 189- photo, the Dry Goods building was expanded with a matching facade as it is clearly wider than it was in 1867 and now abuts 49 King Street E.

I also didn't realize, based on these shots Leader Lane didn't exist until (I'm assuming) the King Eddie was built, as the block is continuous from Yonge to Church. There's a chance some of this has been covered, but at 1000+ pages my memory is foggy!

View attachment 491862

In 1867:

View attachment 491865

And 189-

View attachment 491863

Now:

View attachment 491866

Present day this block is occupied by the King Edward Hotel, which is certainly nothing to complain about. That said, what I would give to have some more of our old Georgian and Victorian streetscapes intact. The level of craftsmanship and detailing is often astounding.
Leader Lane is an old street. Here it is in 1884 Goads Map:

leader 1894.jpg

Here it is, as Berczy Street in 1858

berczy.jpg

The "dry goods" was the Golden Lion from 1867; and as you can see from the photo, 39-43 King E was the Toronto studio of Notman & Fraser ("Photographers To The Queen", as per the facade), so a pretty "illustrious" location (and it explains the glassy upper floors). It was demolished for the Golden Lion addition; and then, only about a decade later, it all went for the King Eddy. (There's a good chapter in William Dendy's "Lost Toronto" on the Golden Lion.)

The "dry goods" was the Golden Lion from 1867; and as you can see from the photo, 39-43 King E was the Toronto studio of Notman & Fraser ("Photographers To The Queen", as per the facade), so a pretty "illustrious" location (and it explains the glassy upper floors). It was demolished for the Golden Lion addition; and then, only about a decade later, it all went for the King Eddy. (There's a good chapter in William Dendy's "Lost Toronto" on the Golden Lion.)
Thanks for that! Here's an 1873 shot of King Street with their building still extant. It's that two storey glass atrium that really stood out to me, it must've looked so modern and striking at the time. From the TPL Digital Archive, it appears to have been shot by Norman & Fraser as well. The clarity is remarkable.

download.jpg

And a better view of the Golden Lion that really shows off the lion. Thanks again for the suggestion to check out Lost Toronto, the fact that I haven't yet is shameful.

download (1).jpg

TPL has a number of their photographs: https://digitalarchive.tpl.ca/people/68330/william-notman--fraser/objects/images?page=1. They captured in incredible detail a number of Toronto's early commercial buildings. The stone facades really stand out, as many of our commercial streetscapes are defined by brick.

Leader Lane is an old street. Here it is in 1884 Goads Map:

View attachment 491872

Here it is, as Berczy Street in 1858

View attachment 491875
Well indeed it did exist long before the King Edward, I suppose it's just such a small break in the block it's hard to see in most photos. I searched TPL for "Leader Lane" and came across this building on the SW corner.

43649.jpg

While I know the TD Centre is generally revered, I've always felt that the 1 storey banking pavillion is such a waste. Especially when you see what was torn down. Of course if you turn towards the north it gets even more depressing when you consider we lost the old Star building for the somewhat generic First Canadian Place. And of course a sterile podium that obliterated the buildings on the NW corner. Seems like an even bigger shame when you consider there was no real reason to tear down the old BMO bldg.

View attachment 491548

View attachment 491549

View attachment 491547

That late Deco BMO Building would've paired well with the 1950s BNS Building on the NE corner, almost looking like twins.

Now of course I could go further down the wormhole and would bring back the old Mail Building on the NW corner and the Cawthra House on the NE. But alas, we've got what we've got.
What was also lost with the needless demolition of the Bank of Montreal building were bas-reliefs of the provinces and native animals, many now at the Guild Inn:

1972:

s0841_fl0062_it0036.jpg

blog_loring_quebec_guild_inn.jpg
blog_sculpture_alberta_panel.jpg
blog_sculpture_alberta_feet.jpg

guild-inn-estate-2021-5-1024x920.jpg
e4ab40aa-ee16-4e8b-9b70-c06a07e5c893.jpg

Last edited:
I will say Guildwood certainly is a treasure. While I'd rather have many of these buildings back, they've created a very special place with the pieces that were salvaged. I was there for a wedding last summer and every time I return I'm captivated all over again. First time I'd been in years so seeing the restored inn was great as well.

I will say Guildwood certainly is a treasure. While I'd rather have many of these buildings back, they've created a very special place with the pieces that were salvaged. I was there for a wedding last summer and every time I return I'm captivated all over again. First time I'd been in years so seeing the restored inn was great as well.
See: https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/prd/facilities/complex/406/index.html and

Back