News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then. 1966.

Before the Bloor subway was built, one travelled east west across Toronto by streetcar... it must have been a long trip from say, Keele, to Yonge. But I suppose no different than todays trip along Queen street from the Humber to Yonge.

photo-toronto-ttc-pcc-streetcars-bloor-and-yonge-street-platforms-crowds-night-1966_zpsxvfjwrcb.jpg

Now. July 2015.

DSC00161_zpsyzfk9vav.jpg

Last edited:
Then 1972.

I only posted this because of the neat-o Camaro. Wish I had one of those. Gray is a great colour too.

photo-toronto-mccaul-street-pcc-streetcar-1972-edited-from-an-edward-wickson-image_zpsm2afasji.jpg

Now. July 2015.

One could do a Then and Now of Krispy Kreme's entry, expansion and contraction/retrenchment in Canada. One for the case studies at biz school...

DSC00150_zpskvt6t1wv.jpg

Mustapha's Donut Review:

Krispy Kreme: Good baked goods but too sweet and a consistency like they were made for people with no teeth.

Tim Hortons: Terrible since they ended in-store baking.

Coffee Time: Still the best - old school; big fat oily donuts.

Then. Bloor and Bathurst looking west at night. Honest Eds in the left distance; the now gone Alhambra theatre in the right distance.

The website I grabbed this from cited a date of 1956 but it feels more 1962-ish to me.. going by the style/architecture of the cars. I wish I could identify the movie showing at the Alhambra...

photo-toronto-bloor-at-bathurst-night-peters-lunch-fullers-claires-honest-eds-alhambra-theater-c19561_zpsmvverjy1.jpg

Now. July 13, 2015.

DSC00138_zpst5kuvr3b.jpg
The Movie advertised on the bill board may have been Martin and Lewis ''Pardners'' 1956.

Then.. 1965. Dundas W looking W from Elizabeth.

"Ladies Entrance"; a quaint photographic echo from the past.

"China Trading Co.". I can still picture the owner weighing roots and herbs on a hand held scale. The west wall of the store was completely covered in small drawers labeled in Chinese.

photo-toronto-dundas-near-elizabeth-1965_zpsibw7hbmc.jpg

Now. July 2015.

DSC00157_zpsrj0mibwm.jpg

Then. Bloor and Bathurst looking west at night. Honest Eds in the left distance; the now gone Alhambra theatre in the right distance.

The website I grabbed this from cited a date of 1956 but it feels more 1962-ish to me.. going by the style/architecture of the cars. I wish I could identify the movie showing at the Alhambra...

photo-toronto-bloor-at-bathurst-night-peters-lunch-fullers-claires-honest-eds-alhambra-theater-c19561_zpsmvverjy1.jpg

I'd guess that the full Alhambra marquee read something like this:

All Color Laugh Show
2 Martin & Lewis Hits
"Living It Up"
& "Pardners"

The marquee of the Alhambra was just gorgeous.

Yes, the Hun Doa bakery in the Kwong Hoi Luen Hop Wai building on the south side of Foster Place. Prior to the bakery it was 'China Lunch'. My tricycle probably bumped into yours back in the day.

indeed! asked my parents and they remember it well. but their toy sahn dialect may differ from yours a bit.... I cannot remember the names , just the blurry memories of a life time ago......

postcard-toronto-queen-w-at-dovercourt-the-temple-royal-templar-headquarters-1913_zpsat4sfdtw.jpg

Last week.

Enough wires criss crossing this picture for you? Note the postcard printer airbrushed them out of the Then pic.

Those old tyme telephone poles are always a nice touch. :)

And the disappeared fire escape; that's progress for you. I guess in this day and age we have no need to escape a conflagration in so undignified a manner...

I think that if you photoshopped out the yellow car; which happened to 'photobomb' my Now pic; the traffic lights and the young men in clothing suitable for a beach - don't they all dress this way now?; [I don't care how hot it is...] you could sepia tone the Now pic and everything would still look 1890s. Maybe more, given the wires...

DSC00181_zps5mbawa7y.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/music/2014/07/a_brief_history_of_the_great_hall/

Last edited:
This building is long overdue for restoration. It's one of the greatest structures in the city, but it looks appalling. Looking at the now photo more closely, that black brick wall at the base could adorn a mural of some sort.

Last edited:
Then 117 Dundas Street W. I'm guessing 1980-ish.

I'd forgotten about this stretch of Dundas until I saw the picture. I had walked along it enough times in my youth.

Chinese-Storefronts-on-Dundas-Street-East-MHSO-Collection-CHI-86050_zpsvgpoconf.jpg

Now. July 2015.

DSC00155_zpsjnpsgw1w.jpg

Another nearby Dundas building - once a fire victim:

TN Spadina Garden 1995-2014.jpg

Attachments

• TN Spadina Garden 1995-2014.jpg
    TN Spadina Garden 1995-2014.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 1,114

Back