News   Apr 25, 2024
 193     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 349     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 546     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then. A noir-ish November 4, 1951 picture of the Don Jail.

nov%204%201951_zpsyhcs6gvq.jpg

Now. Evening, July 7, 2015. Our former jail is now the administrative wing of Bridgepoint Health.

DSC00084_zpsmp9ec1ob.jpg

Wartime London in colour:

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015...give-glimpse-of-london-life-during-the-blitz/

Last edited:
Then. A noir-ish November 4, 1951 picture of the Don Jail.

nov%204%201951_zpsyhcs6gvq.jpg

Now. Evening, July 7, 2015. Our former jail is now the administrative wing of Bridgepoint Health.

DSC00084_zpsmp9ec1ob.jpg
Definitely the Don Jail, Mustapha! Looking very Shawshank Redemption-ish in the old shot with those cars.

Wonderful "noir-ish" image, Mustapha.
I just had to play with it!

jail break.jpg

Attachments

• jail break.jpg
    jail break.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 1,573
1952 photo:
TN Stephenson Ave. at Main.jpg

Attachments

• TN Stephenson Ave. at Main.jpg
    TN Stephenson Ave. at Main.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 1,255
Last edited:
Every time you post a pic of a restaurant and/or it's food, you make me hungry!

(Are you just trying to fatten me up for Thanksgiving?)

Regards,
J T

"Or subtly calling you a turkey? VBG"
Mustapha.

Only with whole cranberry sauce!

Regards,
J T

Then. Bloor and Bathurst looking west at night. Honest Eds in the left distance; the now gone Alhambra theatre in the right distance.

The website I grabbed this from cited a date of 1956 but it feels more 1962-ish to me.. going by the style/architecture of the cars. I wish I could identify the movie showing at the Alhambra...

photo-toronto-bloor-at-bathurst-night-peters-lunch-fullers-claires-honest-eds-alhambra-theater-c19561_zpsmvverjy1.jpg

Now. July 13, 2015.

DSC00138_zpst5kuvr3b.jpg

Then. Sutton Place Hotel. Promotional picture. Can anyone date the Rolls Royce? Sutton Place opened in 1967.

postcard-toronto-sutton-place-hotel-955-bay-entrance-some-called-it-glutton-place-opened-1967_zpskxyuncho.jpg

Now. Early evening July 14, 2015.

DSC00158_zps8dbvvqjy.jpg

"The website I grabbed this from cited a date of 1956 but it feels more 1962-ish to me.. going by the style/architecture of the cars."
Mustapha.

The 57 Monarch, aka Mercury stateside, has white numbering on a black background, seemingly rusty rocker-panel and missing grill inserts.
The auto behind the streetcar appears to be a '59 Ford or Meteor; it's follower being of a Chrysler (Dodge?) shape.
(This ain't 1956.)

"Then. Sutton Place Hotel. Promotional picture. Can anyone date the Rolls Royce? Sutton Place opened in 1967."
Mustapha.

The Rolls Royce ('65 through '80) was probably that of an in-stock model from O' Donnell-Mackie Limited, later to become O' Donnell-Morrison,
they being at the s/e corner of Bay & Wellesley with The Sutton Place Hotel on the n/e.

I cannot recall his name, but the Doorman was actually a real Doorman of the Hotel.

BTY, the word HOTEL above the entrance denoted it from that of the APARTMENTS entrance just to the north.

Regards,
J T

Re the Honest Ed's shot: that can be fairly tightly dated to 1965-66--1965 is when Honest Ed's adopted the "revolving ball" facade, and of course, 1966 was then the streetcars stopped operating on Bloor...

Back