611     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Madison Theatre,
506 Bloor Street West, 1914
Madison Theatre 1914.jpg

Madison Theatre 1919.jpg

Demolished and rebuilt in 1941,.............later became the Bloor Cinema........ this photo 2011
Bloor Cinema 2011.jpg

Now............Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema
Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema.jpg

Attachments

• Madison Theatre 1914.jpg
    Madison Theatre 1914.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 905
  • Madison Theatre 1919.jpg
    Madison Theatre 1919.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 850
  • Bloor Cinema 2011.jpg
    Bloor Cinema 2011.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 884
  • Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema.jpg
    Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 989
Last edited:
At Wilson TTC station on Sunday I travelled back in time to the 70s. Please, buy something from the prop., as I did, so that they can stay in business and delight our eyes and senses. It was so well preserved it could have been a Wes Anderson movie set.

PB260056.JPG

Attachments

• PB260056.JPG
    PB260056.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 794
Are you sure about that? I recall United Cigar Stores being at McCaul when they renovated the building on the corner.

It certainly looks identical to the Flour & Feed building, doesn't it?
I hesitated from replying, as Richard is an astute poster, and had this post ready, but vacillated until someone else queried the claim, but in case the point is missed, "United Cigar Stores" were *everywhere!*

Dundas-at-Keele-_NW_1965.jpg

TTC 4741 Dundas car route destined to the ferry docks. Dundas Street West and Keele Street. 1965
Northwest corner with famous Campbell Block built 1888 and now (late 2014) under major restoration.
United Cigar Store a chain of tobacco and confectionary stores. Others include Lea Drugs,
Laura Secord candies, Agnew-Surpass shoe store chain, Morse Jewellers chain.
Chuckman's Photos

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/TTC/junction/later_years.htm

I've got to add that I remember this corner as is in this pic, I was still in High School at Runnymede, last year. Memories...

And the building is now finished, and looks *really* good! Credit to the renovators/owners.

Last edited:
I hesitated from replying, as Richard is an astute poster, and had this post ready, but hesitated until someone else queried the claim, but in case the point is missed, "United Cigar Stores" were *everywhere!*

Dundas-at-Keele-_NW_1965.jpg

TTC 4741 Dundas car route destined to the ferry docks. Dundas Street West and Keele Street. 1965
Northwest corner with famous Campbell Block built 1888 and now (late 2014) under major restoration.
United Cigar Store a chain of tobacco and confectionary stores. Others include Lea Drugs,
Laura Secord candies, Agnew-Surpass shoe store chain, Morse Jewellers chain.
Chuckman's Photos

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/TTC/junction/later_years.htm

I've got to add that I remember this corner as is, I was still in High School at Runnymede, last year.

And the building is now finished, and looks *really* good! Credit to the renovators/owners.

Thank you Steve! As for the in high school comment.. jeez now I feel old. I am turning 30 next week on the 14th. I wish I was in high school though I went to Birchmount Park from 2003-2006 which was... interesting.

Thank you Steve! As for the in high school comment.. jeez now I feel old.
Well thanks a lot Kid!

lol...truth be told, I'm in amazing shape for my age, keep getting reprieves. What I am thinking is to post a pic of the "Now" of the Campbell Block.

I'd never though of myself as being first person witness to "Then and Now" but standby...

Indeed steve.........."United Cigar Stores" were *everywhere."
I expect we'll soon see a proliferation of shops for tobacco's upcoming competition.

United.jpg

Attachments

• United.jpg
    United.jpg
    741.8 KB · Views: 1,184
"Indeed steve.........."United Cigar Stores" were *everywhere."

UPPER LEFTHAND CORNER - North East corner, Broadview & Queen.

Regards,
J T

Back