News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 841     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Yes, it could be Plains Rd. School.
Didn't know about Dief's attendance, but Goldie also attended -- only for "manual training" classes in grade 8.

Speaking of Plains Rd. School, here's a nice group portrait from 1920:

Plains Road School East York 1920.jpg

Attachments

• Plains Road School East York 1920.jpg
    Plains Road School East York 1920.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 1,752
Good to see a 1950s photo of good old Rathbone & Company. They were really old school and did a fine line in military tailoring - I had my mess kit made there when commissioned into the Militia in the late 1970s. In fact tomorrow I will be wearing my old First Hussars tie to an Army function here in England and on the back of it is a label on which is embroidered 'Rathbone & Company Since 1885, 92 Yonge St Toronto'. We'll not see their like in Canada again, plus these military tailors are disappearing quickly in England as well. Some call it progress, I call it a shame.

IMG_3739.PNG
IMG_3740.PNG

Courtesy Jim Lister
Original Plains Rd School

Attachments

• IMG_3739.PNG
    IMG_3739.PNG
    976.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMG_3740.PNG
    IMG_3740.PNG
    880.6 KB · Views: 999
EXCELLENT!
My public school (grade 2-8 ---1942 to 1948), R.H.McGregor, and my first child was born in the East General Hospital.
What's the date of that photo?

Goldie....I still have faint memories of RH in the late sixties. But what was that building to the south of the school?
Was that an admin bldg. for EGH???

Sorry, Koolgreen. I can't answer.
My memory fails me as to the structure of the old buildings.
I thought, upon seeing the old photo, that all that was school.
Sometime after I left the neighbourhood, those buildings were demolished and a new school was built along the Mortimer side of the property.
The current building appears to be a day care, medical clinic as well as public school.

Last edited:

Back